C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Comparo' - C6 Z & C7 Stingray

 
Old 06-02-2016, 11:11 PM
  #1  
NiteriderFRC
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NiteriderFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: So. Cali Ca
Posts: 5,636
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Default Quick Comparo' - C6 Z & C7 Stingray

Dads new 2016 Stingray A8 2LT with Magnetic Ride (non Z51)

Stock 2008 Z06 38k miles (Mine)




I know looks are subjective, but there is no denying the C7's lines draw you in. There is a lot going on style wise, finer details. I always felt the C6 Z06 lacked a bad angle. I'll argue it will probably go down as one of the prettiest modern Corvettes. Fact is though the C7 is fresh, modern and so far 2 years into production, it still catches eyes as it should.





Styling
C7 - Striking, aggressive, taught.

C6 - A simple design by comparison, the wide and bold stance design has aged better than narrow body models.









Getting into the C7 it already feels like a tighter cabin. You don't get the sense that its smaller car though, you just wear it more fittingly. Something to be aware of if you thought the C6 cabin was inconvenient for this reason. Things seems to be better put together, materials are of nicer quality. Again there is more going on here style wise.




It feels more open, visibility advantage is minimal but clearly better. Overall I still appreciate the interior ergonomics, and overall fit/finish of the C6. Its 8 years old and the interior is aging better than any C5 I've owned. When priced new I could definitely understand the criticisms. For what you can buy these things for today however, it is perfectly acceptable. I truly mean that!

Interior /features

C7 - Dare I say an even larger departure from the inside than the Exterior. Amazing that it took this long to get on par. shortcomings are minimal and so for the money its spot on. Rear and front cameras make up for near bunker like visibility.

C6 - Surprisingly spacious, and ergonomically sound at the expense of style. today 38k miles and 8 years later the interior is holding up better than I ever thought it would.


I will continue my next posts with driving impressions and technology on the C7 - although it will be a work in progress since the break in period is still a good amount of miles away so no acceleration/performance differences yet. But ride quality, noise, comfort will be shared in the mean time.



NiteriderFRC is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by NiteriderFRC:
kevpull (06-07-2016), MrGTC (06-03-2016), z edge (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 PM
  #2  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 80,696
Liked 586 Times in 376 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Nice....who's 911?
themonk is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 PM
  #3  
NiteriderFRC
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NiteriderFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: So. Cali Ca
Posts: 5,636
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Nice....who's 911?
Also my fathers. Nothing too special, 997 Carrera with a 5-speed Automatic. i dont think you could have a more basic 911. In fact the thing thats special about it is that its most certainly a base model no options car aside from the auto. It serves as his daily

When people ask me what my dream garage would look like it would include 911s and Corvettes at the very minimum.


Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 06-02-2016 at 11:50 PM.
NiteriderFRC is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 12:06 AM
  #4  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 80,696
Liked 586 Times in 376 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

good for pops.
themonk is offline  
The following users liked this post: themonk
NiteriderFRC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 AM
  #5  
rcooper
CF Senior Member
 
rcooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 4,439
Liked 482 Times in 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

Well, I can see that Pops taught you well. Nice comparison and looking forward to your upcoming posts.By the way, Pops has good taste in autos, but better color taste on the C7.
rcooper is offline  
The following users liked this post: rcooper
NiteriderFRC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM
  #6  
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 39,165
Liked 3,130 Times in 2,242 Posts
Default

Good review and super that you and your "Pops" share the car passion.
dvilin is offline  
The following users liked this post: dvilin
NiteriderFRC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 AM
  #7  
dovervold
CF Senior Member
 
dovervold's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Minnetrista Minnesota
Posts: 2,096
Likes: 0
Liked 162 Times in 137 Posts
Default

I came from a C6Z to a C7 Z51 M7. Will be interesting to hear your comparisons. The only thing I didn't like about the C7 was throttle response. Just seemed a little boring and not enough juice. And the gearing in 3rd felt flat. Your Dad's is an A8 so maybe that will change the game. Keep us posted on your thoughts...
dovervold is offline  
The following users liked this post: dovervold
NiteriderFRC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 01:59 PM
  #8  
NiteriderFRC
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NiteriderFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: So. Cali Ca
Posts: 5,636
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dovervold View Post
I came from a C6Z to a C7 Z51 M7. Will be interesting to hear your comparisons. The only thing I didn't like about the C7 was throttle response. Just seemed a little boring and not enough juice. And the gearing in 3rd felt flat. Your Dad's is an A8 so maybe that will change the game. Keep us posted on your thoughts...
I have yet to sample a current 7speed C7 but from the initial drives ive had with this a8 and of course keeping it under 3.5k rpms i have to say the throttle response is sharper. Past the initial tip in there is a sharper surge of noise and accel the deeper I go. Ill continue to explore the different levels but that is my initial impression on throttle response. The C5 and C6 are known to lag in throttle response, an issue thats magnified with the autos. More notes to come !

Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 06-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
NiteriderFRC is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
  #9  
UsernameProtected
CF Senior Member
 
UsernameProtected's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Greater Cincinnati Area
Posts: 1,012
Liked 278 Times in 182 Posts
Default

My experience with the move from C6Z to C7 was the C7 was better in almost every way. Not nearly as raw as the C7, but that's not all bad. The C7 interior is light years better, but I really miss the pull the C6Z had from 4,000 to 7,000.

The C7 throttle response (M7) is pretty bad, but a Vitesse throttle controller ($160) really wakes it up.

If I don't trade mine for an Admiral Blue Grand Sport or Stingray, I'll probably need to do something to overcome the 10% power deficiency and 10% extra mass relative to the C6Z.
UsernameProtected is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
  #10  
dovervold
CF Senior Member
 
dovervold's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Minnetrista Minnesota
Posts: 2,096
Likes: 0
Liked 162 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected View Post
My experience with the move from C6Z to C7 was the C7 was better in almost every way. Not nearly as raw as the C7, but that's not all bad. The C7 interior is light years better, but I really miss the pull the C6Z had from 4,000 to 7,000.

The C7 throttle response (M7) is pretty bad, but a Vitesse throttle controller ($160) really wakes it up.

If I don't trade mine for an Admiral Blue Grand Sport or Stingray, I'll probably need to do something to overcome the 10% power deficiency and 10% extra mass relative to the C6Z.
Well, that is what I ended up doing. LG Super Pro's, ported intake and TB, 170 T-stat, and AFE with a good tune. 1st and 2nd are explosive, 3rd pulls hard to 100 MPH, sounds is insane...

I also did some work to keep IAT's down which also seems to help... Next up will be heads and cam, probably do that next Spring as I am having too much fun for any down time
dovervold is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
  #11  
dovervold
CF Senior Member
 
dovervold's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Minnetrista Minnesota
Posts: 2,096
Likes: 0
Liked 162 Times in 137 Posts
Default

I also have to say, Damn the C7 is sexy. GM nailed the stying in a big way IMHO...
dovervold is offline  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:45 PM
  #12  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 20,943
Liked 846 Times in 703 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC View Post
Dads new 2016 Stingray A8 2LT with Magnetic Ride (non Z51)

Stock 2008 Z06 38k miles (Mine)




I know looks are subjective, but there is no denying the C7's lines draw you in. There is a lot going on style wise, finer details. I always felt the C6 Z06 lacked a bad angle. I'll argue it will probably go down as one of the prettiest modern Corvettes. Fact is though the C7 is fresh, modern and so far 2 years into production, it still catches eyes as it should.





Styling
C7 - Striking, aggressive, taught.

C6 - A simple design by comparison, the wide and bold stance design has aged better than narrow body models.









Getting into the C7 it already feels like a tighter cabin. You don't get the sense that its smaller car though, you just wear it more fittingly. Something to be aware of if you thought the C6 cabin was inconvenient for this reason. Things seems to be better put together, materials are of nicer quality. Again there is more going on here style wise.




It feels more open, visibility advantage is minimal but clearly better. Overall I still appreciate the interior ergonomics, and overall fit/finish of the C6. Its 8 years old and the interior is aging better than any C5 I've owned. When priced new I could definitely understand the criticisms. For what you can buy these things for today however, it is perfectly acceptable. I truly mean that!

Interior /features

C7 - Dare I say an even larger departure from the inside than the Exterior. Amazing that it took this long to get on par. shortcomings are minimal and so for the money its spot on. Rear and front cameras make up for near bunker like visibility.

C6 - Surprisingly spacious, and ergonomically sound at the expense of style. today 38k miles and 8 years later the interior is holding up better than I ever thought it would.


I will continue my next posts with driving impressions and technology on the C7 - although it will be a work in progress since the break in period is still a good amount of miles away so no acceleration/performance differences yet. But ride quality, noise, comfort will be shared in the mean time.



What seats are those in your 2008?
3 Z06ZR1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 PM
  #13  
davepl
CF Senior Member
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,596
Liked 1,419 Times in 948 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected View Post
The C7 interior is light years better, but I really miss the pull the C6Z had from 4,000 to 7,000.
That's why the invented the C7Z!

And am I the only person who can avoid quoting all 6 pictures in my one-line response?

Last edited by davepl; 06-07-2016 at 01:54 PM.
davepl is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 AM
  #14  
NiteriderFRC
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NiteriderFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: So. Cali Ca
Posts: 5,636
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Seats in my 2008 are Leather Corbeau A4

Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 08-17-2016 at 02:30 AM.
NiteriderFRC is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 AM
  #15  
NiteriderFRC
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NiteriderFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: So. Cali Ca
Posts: 5,636
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Ill be sure to review the A4 seats directly to the atock gt seats in the C7. The cost of upgrade from c6 seats were worth every cent.
NiteriderFRC is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Comparo' - C6 Z & C7 Stingray


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: