Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 20171LE
As already stated, Justin Bieber's success is proof that sales do not equal substance or quality.
Straw man argument. I can't even come close to comparing Justin Bieber to a Corvette.

A lot of hoola-hoops were sold in the 50s, too. No wonder the Corvette sold well back then. Huh?

Oh, guess he's gone. Sorry for this post then

Last edited by 86C4Z51; 07-19-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default We Render the New Mid-Engine Corvette Zora!

We enlisted one of our favorite car renderers to bring you what we think the next-generation, mid-engine Corvette Zora will look like. What do you think?

See the rest of the images on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

We enlisted one of our favorite car renderers to bring you what we think the next-generation, mid-engine Corvette Zora will look like. What do you think?

yeah, with C6 throwback headlights and hood......progress is going forward, not back.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Who is the "we" you spoke of?

Just more CF "Editor" spam.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM
richelu
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
That's not what gets to me, it's that he thinks he knows the product plan when he doesn't. He bases his logic on a foundation of incorrect information.

It's like trying to argue something with your base assumption being that the world is flat.
Bill Murray has a brilliant quote for this type of person.

"It's hard to win an argument with a person who is intelligent, but it is impossible to win an argument with someone who is an idiot"

Originally Posted by 20171LE
Most people aren't financially independent or educated.
Economics 101: Don't pay interest on depreciating assets.

Now, what was your point?
1. This is Finance 101 and not Economics 101
2. Buildings are depreciable assets and yet businesses pay interest on loans to build them.
3. Talk to anyone who knows business finance and they will tell you that being leveraged is not a bad thing as paying interest actually allows you the benefit of a tax shield and you can actually make more money in the long run (VC and PE firms thrive on leverage).
4. Many people can actually pay cash for a C7 if they move investments around but this also means paying capital gains. I am paying a little over 2% interest and making over 15% interest on investments instead of pulling money out to buy a car. So in the long run, my C7 costs less for me.

What business school did you go to? 20171LE Tech

Paying cash for a car is not a bragging point (even if in your imagination).

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Nah, Steve....I'm sure he's right, the C7 IS just a warmed over C5, we're all idiots. The fact that they've sold 100,000+ C7's doesn't prove anything.

Jimmy
Yeah, the C7 is just a complete failure.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-23-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
The following 2 users liked this post by richelu:
86C4Z51 (07-27-2016), Lavender (12-11-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I think he's still serving his banishment sentence, but I couldn't agree with you more. :-)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Why is he using the Daytona Prototype for inspiration? I doubt it will even be the same silhouette lol
Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED

I read somewhere that GM was talking $150,000.
Every article I've read has mentioned $150k range too. Mid engine definitely,but which power plant? I sincerely hope GM sticks with the tried and true push rod V8's they have been known for building. No twin turbo V6's. Let ford keep the Eco-poop V6 and Chevy have the proper whaling super charged V8 mid engine hyper car we all know they can build.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It depends upon what they want to do with it. If they want to go racing head-to-head w/ the Ford GT at LeMans and on the GTLM circuit, a push-rod V8 may not be the right way to go given the way the rules are moving toward increasing penalties on higher displacement engines.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:01 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
Every article I've read has mentioned $150k range too. Mid engine definitely,but which power plant? I sincerely hope GM sticks with the tried and true push rod V8's they have been known for building. No twin turbo V6's. Let ford keep the Eco-poop V6 and Chevy have the proper whaling super charged V8 mid engine hyper car we all know they can build.
t/c more likely than s/c, and this quote from 2012 explains why;

DETROIT — The Obama administration issued on Tuesday the final version of new rules that require automakers to nearly double the average fuel economy of new cars and trucks by 2025.

The standards — which mandate an average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon for the 2025 model year — will increase the pressure on auto manufacturers to step up development of electrified vehicles as well as sharply improve the mileage of their mass-market models through techniques like more efficient engines and lighter car bodies.

Current rules for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, program mandate an average of about 29 miles per gallon, with gradual increases to 35.5 m.p.g. by 2016.

Last edited by senah; 07-24-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by senah

DETROIT — The Obama administration issued on Tuesday the final version of new rules that require automakers to nearly double the average fuel economy of new cars and trucks by 2025.

The standards — which mandate an average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon for the 2025 model year — will increase the pressure on auto manufacturers to step up development of electrified vehicles as well as sharply improve the mileage of their mass-market models through techniques like more efficient engines and lighter car bodies.

Current rules for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, program mandate an average of about 29 miles per gallon, with gradual increases to 35.5 m.p.g. by 2016.
I dont think they are still aiming towards that figure.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...regulators-say
Old 07-24-2016, 01:50 PM
DesertDog56
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Funny thing about CAFE

Originally Posted by senah

I don't know if this will still apply in 2025 but right now, flex fuel vehicles that can run on E85 count as getting 75 mpg for the CAFE calculation. While the engine consumes 39% more fuel with all that low energy alcohol, the octane is 105 and the fuel helps to cool the engine. I've had a flex fuel Equinox for five years and have yet to try E86 but it is an easy way for car companies to deal with the government mandates.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I dont think they are still aiming towards that figure.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...regulators-say
Praise God! Thanks for the link.

Otherwise I was going to say, go ahead and build this car for the next 8-9 years and at least we can go out in a blaze of freakin' glory.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Dave_the_Dude
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
I guess it was the late 90s when Chevy last realized the car was being priced out of the youth market, and made an attempt to make an affordable version. Which morphed into the very expensive limited appeal Z06 instead. (Good lord, who buys a Corvette with a fixed un-removable roof?)

I think it is great that Chevy builds and sells uber performance high cost limited production versions of the car. But as a business with profit and loss targets, an reasonably affordable version is also needed. Something younger people can buy and enjoy without it being a second mortgage.

Otherwise, the car will die off with us older folks, and that would be a sad end to a great American icon.

Come on Chevy, forget about mid engine nonsense and look at making the car more affordable to younger customers.
I would argue that the Corvette is the most affordable true performance car on the market today. In fact, when the salesman told me the price on my car ($55k), I was shocked.

It's amazing to me that Chevy is able to sell this much car for only $55,000. AMAZING. I actually think it's the biggest steal on the market. I know guys who paid more than that for their trucks.

For anyone who's spent time shopping for true performance cars that actually compete with the Corvette, that price tag is unbelievably low. There isn't a single car on the market anywhere near that kind of price/performance ratio today.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Dave_the_Dude
I would argue that the Corvette is the most affordable true performance car on the market today. In fact, when the salesman told me the price on my car ($55k), I was shocked.

It's amazing to me that Chevy is able to sell this much car for only $55,000. AMAZING. I actually think it's the biggest steal on the market. I know guys who paid more than that for their trucks.

For anyone who's spent time shopping for true performance cars that actually compete with the Corvette, that price tag is unbelievably low. There isn't a single car on the market anywhere near that kind of price/performance ratio today.
I agree. Don't know another car under $60k that can do 0-60 in 4 seconds; 175+ mph; 1.0 g; 30 mpg and turn heads like a C7. Kudos to GM!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Stinger15
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's much lower than the C7
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

I read months back that the current V8 was capable of making 1000HP but the current chassis could not handle that power and torgue. Enter the Zora rumours.

I would be disappointed if GM did not do what Chrysler did when they shocked the market with 707HP Hellcat!

Translation: If they are going to come out with a ZORA, smash the expectations with a 1000 HP super car. Can anyone say Bugatti (though new one is 1500 HP, but you get the idea)

Coming out at 775HP would be yawner? 707HP is out there already. I recognize apples to oranges in performance and 0-60 times vs. Hellcat but we want a WOW # from GM in the new Vette!

Get notified of new replies

To The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
I read months back that the current V8 was capable of making 1000HP but the current chassis could not handle that power and torgue. Enter the Zora rumours.

I would be disappointed if GM did not do what Chrysler did when they shocked the market with 707HP Hellcat!

Translation: If they are going to come out with a ZORA, smash the expectations with a 1000 HP super car. Can anyone say Bugatti (though new one is 1500 HP, but you get the idea)

Coming out at 775HP would be yawner? 707HP is out there already. I recognize apples to oranges in performance and 0-60 times vs. Hellcat but we want a WOW # from GM in the new Vette!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

HP numbers are of little use without translating to speed both in a straight line and when used to modulate turns. If they turn out a car with 600-700HP that can keep up with the likes of a McLaren 650, then that's what will sell, not a zinger headline.

Price will obviously depend on the how much volume they want to make of the car. Will they split into a platform into a Z1/Zora supercar and then trickle that down into the C8? If it's a low volume lead in model, maybe 150K, if it's mass produced C8, maybe 85K.

So much to speculate on...

Last edited by jivor; 08-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jivor
HP numbers are of little use without translating to speed both in a straight line and when used to modulate turns. If they turn out a car with 600-700HP that can keep up with the likes of a McLaren 650, then that's what will sell, not a zinger headline.

Price will obviously depend on the how much volume they want to make of the car. Will they split into a platform into a Z1/Zora supercar and then trickle that down into the C8? If it's a low volume lead in model, maybe 150K, if it's mass produced C8, maybe 85K.

So much to speculate on...
I believe corvette has proven many times that it can handle road courses... Le Mans victories...Sebring... can go on and on since day one of the corvette. I highly doubt GM will produce a corvette that can not handle a turn. Who would spend almost double for a McLaren 650 than the rumor mill figure of $125K to $150K?

I imagine it will look quite a bit like the mid engine Daytona corvette... They have been testing this mid-engine design for years on the track.

http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...ona-prototype/

One of the C8 Zora's will be tempting when they come out.

Last edited by Jake5670; 08-03-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette