Sponsored by:

Serious-Sirius/XM: Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 PM
PJay
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittyZoom
no Luck with eBay, can you email me what you have? Appreciate the help.
ms294964@gmail.com
Just sent you an email.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerja
I believe he was selling trial subscriptions which is a no-no (undermining the market) and Sirius caught him. However he should and needs to make good.
I wonder If I had anything to do with him getting busted? I added factory nav to my car, so XM thought my car wasn't travelink compatible and refused to activate it on my car when the ebay guy setup my "subscription". I also didn't get all channels. It was just the same channels you get when you do the 6 months for $25 deal. So I called XM to get stuff straightened out. I did get travelink activated but they killed the ebay account doing it. So then I bitched about that. Right now I have travelink but no XM as I don't have the energy to attempt to communicate with them, and I can't get a good deal on any package with the Nascar channel. Got my $78 back from Ebay at least.

For those who wonder why anyone would try buying a year of XM on Ebay, it's because paying full price is a freakin' rip off, and playing stupid games to get good XM deals is a pain in the ***. Some of us work our asses off and already spend tooo much time on the phone. Spending 30 minutes 2x a year playing a game of chicken with English as a second language people is fuggin lame.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAFFYDRUNK:
Formula52 (07-18-2016), luky7 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

OK, so if I understand you correctly, you're saying that buying XM legally is too expensive, thus people bought it illegally, have gotten ripped off, now have no XM, and have nothing to show for the money they did spend.

Did I miss anything? It's also amazing how cheap you can buy electronics from the back of unmarked white vans on big city street corners.

What I find puzzling is how folks fell for what appears to me to have always been a rather obvious scam. It's amazing this eBay felon got away with it as long as he did.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
air86 (07-15-2016), mpuzach (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:55 AM
PJay
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, so if I understand you correctly, you're saying that buying XM legally is too expensive, thus people bought it illegally, have gotten ripped off, now have no XM, and have nothing to show for the money they did spend...
Quite a few folks on here, including you have alleged that "people bought it illegally". I bought from a longtime ebay seller, with lots of positive feedback, after reading several good recommendations from members of this forum. If you have tangible information that what those of us who bought from the seller, or what the seller himself did was illegal, please share.

What I find puzzling is how folks fell for what appears to me to have always been a rather obvious scam...
In light of what has happened, it's easy to say this was a rather "...obvious scam". But, I didn't see any posts before I bought from him, suggesting that there was any problem with the seller. And, again, the seller's reputation on ebay (since 2009) was very good.

Foosh, we're brothers in our love of all things Corvette. Next time, give us a head up man
Old 07-15-2016, 06:22 AM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by PJay
Ah, my bad then. I hadn't seen any posts where the All Access package was offered by SiriusXM at a price lower than the ebay seller. I am aware that the Select package can be purchased for as low as $30 for 6 months.
I got all access from Sirius for $99/year.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

OK, so if I understand you correctly, you're saying that buying XM legally is too expensive, thus people bought it illegally, have gotten ripped off, now have no XM, and have nothing to show for the money they did spend.

Did I miss anything? It's also amazing how cheap you can buy electronics from the back of unmarked white vans on big city street corners.

What I find puzzling is how folks fell for what appears to me to have always been a rather obvious scam. It's amazing this eBay felon got away with it as long as he did.
As essentially already stated, you are playing Monday morning quarterback. All I was doing was buying from eBay. Something I do literally every day with my computer biz. If I was gonna do something illegal, I'd try to figure out a way to activate the radio for free.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Had I seen these ads prior to people getting scammed, I would have given folks a heads-up. I However, I would never have thought of going to eBay to purchase an XM subscription.

It's not a matter of "playing Monday morning quarterback." For as long as I can remember, certain service subscriptions can only be purchased from the company offering the service. Things like cable TV, Direct TV, Dish Network, and Sirius/XM, Netflix, Hulu, etc., are some major examples. Sometimes, you can buy a receiver or other piece of hardware from a vendor like Best Buy, etc., but the actual service subscription must come from the provider.

I don't recall any of these or other service providers selling service subscriptions on places like eBay, but if they did they would clearly identify themselves as the seller. It was clear from the ads I've seen, that it was being offered by individual(s), not Sirius/XM.

If I had seen that eBay ad, it would have immediately set off my scam detector. The other obvious, dead give-away is that they were massively undercutting the real provider's price. Obviously, the seller(s) got away with it for awhile, and walked away with a decent amount of money. Hopefully, they've been arrested.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:25 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Well, I'm one of those guys who bought from this website some time ago. Great price, and it works flawlessly...he activated it right away, and there are no issues. My decision to buy on Ebay was based on an XM thread on this forum some months ago, where people were extolling the virtues of buying Sirius...

The price did seem too good to be true, but he appeared to be a trusted seller on Ebay, so I figured, "Why not?"
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if its too good to be true.....

why people will spend $70-100K on a car then cheap out on other stuff is mind blowing
The following users liked this post:
mpuzach (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't know about this guy but a lot of the subscriptions are sold by used car dealers that Sirius allows to give away trial subscriptions. Your vin or radio ID are put in as used car inventory and a trial is issued which the dealer sells to you.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
why people will spend $70-100K on a car then cheap out on other stuff is mind blowing
Because they like to get a good price? You can get a lot more for your money if you are frugal on everything. Being frugal doesn't mean not having nice things; it just means getting good value for your money on everything you buy.
The following 3 users liked this post by xwing:
AdventurePoser (08-01-2016), Scoobydoobydoo (07-18-2016), tail_lights (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:31 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

I have stated this truth for a long time now. Nobody listens to me
Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I often get miffed when someone who doesn't know what they are talking about tells me that I'm doing something illegal. "Illegal" seems like a pretty strong word. What basis does anyone here have to claim that the purchase of a subscription from a recommended and "trusted" third--party vendor is illegal?

If, in fact, it was illegal wouldn't eBay and/or Sirius/XM have already put a stop to it? My guess is that this isn't even in the grey-area of legality. The guy has a source for the codes to activate this service. Who has evidence that his access to these codes is illegal? Who has evidence that his sale of these codes is illegal? For that matter, who has evidence that my purchase of this service is illegal?

The answer: NO ONE!

So please stop accusing people of breaking the law when you have no evidence to support your position. It really casts both parties in a bad light.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twisted Swifter:
EcoBrick Bob (07-15-2016), PJay (07-15-2016), Scoobydoobydoo (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Interesting....I purchased a 1 yr subscription from this guy last May for my Chrysler.....subscription is still working as of this morning. I was looking forward to doing the same for my C7 in Oct.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Twisted Swifter
I often get miffed when someone who doesn't know what they are talking about tells me that I'm doing something illegal. "Illegal" seems like a pretty strong word. What basis does anyone here have to claim that the purchase of a subscription from a recommended and "trusted" third--party vendor is illegal?

If, in fact, it was illegal wouldn't eBay and/or Sirius/XM have already put a stop to it? My guess is that this isn't even in the grey-area of legality. The guy has a source for the codes to activate this service. Who has evidence that his access to these codes is illegal? Who has evidence that his sale of these codes is illegal? For that matter, who has evidence that my purchase of this service is illegal?

The answer: NO ONE!

So please stop accusing people of breaking the law when you have no evidence to support your position. It really casts both parties in a bad light.
It appears you misunderstood.

Your purchase would not have been illegal unless you knew for a fact that it was "stolen merchandise." It was the eBay seller who appears to have been engaged in illegal activity.

Buyer beware does apply because it's clear many were ripped off.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Well, I'm one of those guys who bought from this website some time ago. Great price, and it works flawlessly...he activated it right away, and there are no issues. My decision to buy on Ebay was based on an XM thread on this forum some months ago, where people were extolling the virtues of buying Sirius...

The price did seem too good to be true, but he appeared to be a trusted seller on Ebay, so I figured, "Why not?"
Same here, bought it in May and no issues at all.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Here is a bit more info as far as how this guy works. Wife's XM just crapped out after 3 months. She called XM and they found her radio ID listed under some car leasing company account with thousands of other cars. I guess that how he resold it? Or perhaps he worked for the leasing company and was doing this on the side - and got caught?

Anyway, he took the $ and ran. She found his phone number but he won't answer. Yep, scammer.

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-01-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Serious-Sirius/XM: Warning!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

The easiest way I found is to get the Sirius app then just Bluetooth it from your phone. Once Sirius has your credit card number then the will automatically jack up the rates and automatically charge your card. As to buying subscriptions on eBay, not something I would do.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default deja vu

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My 1 yr trial is about to expire and I just received a 6 month offer for $30 from Sirius. This is the best deal I have found direct from Sirius.
My whole relationship with Sirius has come down to renewing 5 bucks/month for a six month span and repeating it FIVE TIMES; every time it is up I call them, they put me through exactly the same number of steps trying to get me to upgrade and spend more, I repeat my pat responses and by the third tier they give it to me again (and I will not allow them to extend beyond that automatically, they must paper bill me first).....it works but geez......
Old 08-02-2016, 04:02 PM
MRose0906
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KLdy
Oh

Do you guys Actually used the SAT.....

Am I the only one that just listens to his phone 24/7 and never touched a single bit about the radio?
Yup, I'm in the same boat as you. It's nice to know that my car can get XM though. HAHAHAHA. Only plus about having it is the weather app works. But, again, got the ole trusty phone for that.

Quick Reply: Serious-Sirius/XM: Warning!