Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the door chime be turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Can the door chime be turned off?

I am try to program my radio/navigation. It is hot and I prefer to leave the door open and the ignition in accessory mode (car not running). Can you turn off the annoying chime?! What purpose does it serve? I know the door is open!!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 12:40 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

It's not telling you the door is open. It's telling you the ignition is on or in acc mode. It activates with the door open to remind you to turn it off. No way to turn it off but it can probably be disconnected somewhere.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

If you hold the radio power button in for a couple seconds you can turn on the Infotainment system without activating accessory mode or the door chime. Just remember to turn it off when you're done because it does not time out and shut off itself.

At least that works on mine, and I learned the trick on this forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by TyBoo:
bigsapper (09-30-2017), designrs (08-29-2016), Scruff Vette (08-29-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
It's not telling you the door is open. It's telling you the ignition is on or in acc mode. It activates with the door open to remind you to turn it off. No way to turn it off but it can probably be disconnected somewhere.
I just tried and confirm that the chime dings three times and then turns off in accessory mode if the door is closed.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Originally Posted by TyBoo
If you hold the radio power button in for a couple seconds you can turn on the Infotainment system without activating accessory mode or the door chime. Just remember to turn it off when you're done because it does not time out and shut off itself.

Wow! That is just what I was looking for. It works on my too. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
It's not telling you the door is open. It's telling you the ignition is on or in acc mode.
Ah, duh! I know that too!

It activates with the door open to remind you to turn it off.
Can't it turn it off itself after an initial chime for say 10 seconds and then let's say 5-15 minutes of non use?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickmd
Wow! That is just what I was looking for. It works on my too. Thanks for the info!
Ah, did you see the "thanks" button?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Back in the days before electronic computerized nanny cars, I just cut the wires behind the long button that was depressed when you closed the door.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Awesome. Just I wanted!

Update: still only stays on like 15mins though but at least no aux chiming.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 08-28-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SASprof
Back in the days before electronic computerized nanny cars, I just cut the wires behind the long button that was depressed when you closed the door.
The long button! You mean the one that would get water and dirt and grime in it and either stick in or not make up the contacts when it was out? Sometimes the fancy electronic stuff is a good thing, although I still miss the dimmer switch down on the floor.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

The long button! You mean the one that would get water and dirt and grime in it and either stick in or not make up the contacts when it was out? Sometimes the fancy electronic stuff is a good thing, although I still miss the dimmer switch down on the floor.

Thanks for the reminder!
Yup. The long black plastic spring-loaded button that sometimes got covered in grime and would stick in the "in" position.

Oh, yes, the high beam on/off button on the left side of the floor, that you could operate with your left foot. Genius!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

My '15 will still turn off after about 15 min. I like to listen to radio while detailing inside.
The following users liked this post:
Pisswilly (10-01-2017)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:32 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

I noticed the other night that mine shuts off after about 15 minutes, too. I hadn't ever left it on for that long until we went to a drive in movie and had the FM radio going for the sound.

Btw, drive-in movies in a convertible are still great! The C7 interior arrangement, however, is not well suited for the traditional drive-in behavior, especially at the age she and I have reached.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

I noticed the other night that mine shuts off after about 15 minutes, too. I hadn't ever left it on for that long until we went to a drive in movie and had the FM radio going for the sound.

Btw, drive-in movies in a convertible are still great! The C7 interior arrangement, however, is not well suited for the traditional drive-in behavior, especially at the age she and I have reached.
So, did you have to hit the button every 15 min?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Yep, and then the DIC lights would come on for a short while. It was strange because I had gone to the drive-in last year and it seems like the radio stayed on for the whole movie. I was concerned a little about the battery so I started the car between films, and then I seem to recall the radio stayed on for the entire second movie.

There might be a way to do this but I can't remember. That is pretty typical for me, though, so if someone figures it out and posts it here I will at least have a future reference.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:41 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I use my finger to reach in and "close" the black door latch to turn off the chime. The part the striker engages to secure the door closed. Only thing is you need to remember to push the door open button prior to closing......

Get notified of new replies

To Can the door chime be turned off?

Quick Reply: Can the door chime be turned off?