Electronic glitch...Comments or thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:50 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Electronic glitch...Comments or thoughts

Hey everybody!

We got into the car (2015 Z51 'vert, A8, 13,000 miles) and noticed that after the car was started the DIC was completely dark. HUD didn't work, nor did the gauges in the DIC. Lights, turn signals worked though the directional flashers couldn't be seen. Car ran fine otherwise.

Okay, I figured this car is a computer on wheels, so I rebooted. Turned the car off, turned it back on, no joy. Repeated a couple of times.

Went for a nice drive with the DIC black.

Later, when stopped for fuel, I started the car and everything came back on. DIC seems to be fine now. Go figure.

Anyone ever seen this before? Seemed like a strange anomaly, and it was strange driving the car with the entire DIC blacked out. No lights, gauges-glad I could use the GPS for a speedo.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've read about the DIC rebooting on people but I don't recall reading about it dying like that. Seems like most of those instances people reported that it never did it again. I'm not sure what you can do about it since it's working now. I guess maybe bring it in and have them check it out so they have a record of it? I dunno. Hopefully it'll just keep on working!
The following users liked this post:
AdventurePoser (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Dont have a c7 (yet), but that sounds like a pretty major problem.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:54 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I've read about the DIC rebooting on people but I don't recall reading about it dying like that. Seems like most of those instances people reported that it never did it again. I'm not sure what you can do about it since it's working now. I guess maybe bring it in and have them check it out so they have a record of it? I dunno. Hopefully it'll just keep on working!
Rooster, I agree. Intermittent electrical problems are always the worst. Kind of like going to the doctor today about the stomache ache you had last week.

I'm going to take your advice and run it into the shop tomorrow, so I can have the issue entered into the service records just in case. BTW, the problem has not reoccurred.

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
Dont have a c7 (yet), but that sounds like a pretty major problem.
I dunno....first, I have a warranty, so whatever breaks will be fixed. Second, it could be that this will never happen again. Glitches can and do occur in the Vette, with all the computer work going on under the hood. Third, at least the power outtage to the DIC did not affect how the car drove. Of course I couldn't see any information on the DIC, but temporarily, at least, it wasn't a problem.

On another note, don't let internet horror stories stop you from buying the Vette of your dreams....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-04-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Oh how I love all these new fangled gizmos. I had my 67 Camaro out the other day, and was telling a young whipper snapper that I could tune it up with a match book cover. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about, 'cause those days are long gone.

I hope your's fixed itself, and doesn't do it again my brother.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 07-04-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Hey everybody!

We got into the car (2015 Z51 'vert, A8, 13,000 miles) and noticed that after the car was started the DIC was completely dark. HUD didn't work, nor did the gauges in the DIC. Lights, turn signals worked though the directional flashers couldn't be seen. Car ran fine otherwise.

Okay, I figured this car is a computer on wheels, so I rebooted. Turned the car off, turned it back on, no joy. Repeated a couple of times.

Went for a nice drive with the DIC black.

Later, when stopped for fuel, I started the car and everything came back on. DIC seems to be fine now. Go figure.

Anyone ever seen this before? Seemed like a strange anomaly, and it was strange driving the car with the entire DIC blacked out. No lights, gauges-glad I could use the GPS for a speedo.

Yes some of us have had this happen. It happened somewhat frequently on my first C7. It seemed to happen any time I used the outside hatch release button. I had to pull and reinsert a fuse (#25 maybe, I can't recall but you can find it in the owners manual). That temporarily fixed it every time. Dealer was of no help. Sorry, but I never did find a permanent solution.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:08 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Oh how I love all these new fangled gizmos. I had my 67 Camaro out the other day, and was telling a young whipper snapper that I could tune it up with a match book cover. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about, 'cause those days are long gone.

I hope your's fixed itself, and doesn't do it again my brother.
Thanks, I hope it "healed" itself as well. Don't really want to test out the local dealership's abilities to trouble shoot an electronic issue in my car any sooner than I have to! Cheers!
Rebel Yell (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
jackvette09
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar problem a couple of months ago. After trying several cures I ran the dimmer switch back and forth several times and have not had the problem since. Good luck
Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Woodson
Yes some of us have had this happen. It happened somewhat frequently on my first C7. It seemed to happen any time I used the outside hatch release button. I had to pull and reinsert a fuse (#25 maybe, I can't recall but you can find it in the owners manual). That temporarily fixed it every time. Dealer was of no help. Sorry, but I never did find a permanent solution.

Interesting! As it so happens, I had used the hatch release button just before this happened...

I wondered if it could have been a fuse-kinda looked like a fuse issue, but it started working again, and I didn't investigate further.

Thanks, Woodson!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

My 16 the second day I had it the HUD wouldn't display. After I shut the car off and restarted it the HUD was back on and haven't had a problem since!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

My DIC hasn't gone black yet, but the radio/MyLink has rebooted itself mid-drive twice in just under 6,000 miles

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
My 16 the second day I had it the HUD wouldn't display. After I shut the car off and restarted it the HUD was back on and haven't had a problem since!!!
A few weeks ago a few NASTY thunderstorms came through while my car was parked outside at work. When I started it I had the "Theft Attempted" alarm and my HUD was dead. The next day everything was fine. Hasn't happened again since.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

dark screen > HMI module replaced
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I had this happen once on my '15 coupe. A restart didn't fix it. However, after I let it sit for a while, not sure how long, it did start to work normally and it hasn't happened since. I don't know if I had just used the hatch release or not. I hadn't heard the stories of the release being used right before the failure in other cases so I wasn't looking for that detail when mine failed.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
My DIC hasn't gone black yet.
Once you go black, you'll never go back.
Rebel Yell (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I've had a couple anomalies in six months of ownership. Once, right after I bought the car, it was the entire readout, and then Thursday evening, the tachometer came up, but nothing on the sides.
Both times I turned off the car, started it back up everything was fine.
I attributed to the moon being in the wrong phase, or hey it's a computer, sometimes you've just got to reboot. Have you ever owned a computer that didn't need to be rebooted once a while.
I'm not going to waste my time taking it to the dealer, and letting them go on a bug hunt, until it starts doing something more consistently. I'll probably mention it when I get my next oil change, and ask them what they think.

Last edited by L8ter; 07-05-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

This phenomena has happened once on my C7, once each also on my 2011 and 2013 Ford products. I have chosen to ignore them all since the computer display came back on after some period of apparent rebooting.

Best wishes! You will LOVE this car!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM
srsvette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Known issue on 14's.
Had mine replaced under warranty. Fine since.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic glitch...Comments or thoughts

Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

^^ mine was a '15
Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did it on two separate occasions. First time was at the mall and required a few restarts to go away. Second was in Bowling Green while visiting the Museum. I drove it to the local dealership which was able to document the issue. After a few restarts it went away again. As Woodson stated, it most likely happened because of opening the hatch and something else.

After that, the local dealer flashed the car with the latest software and it hasn't happened since.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Great responses, everyone. Based on your input I think I'll just wait and see if it ever happens again.

Interesting to note this occurred after opening the trunk hatch, as a couple of posters mentioned...

Quick Reply: Electronic glitch...Comments or thoughts