Sponsored by:

Android Auto and Google Maps multiple stops support

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Default Android Auto and Google Maps multiple stops support

I recently heard on the podcast All About Android that Google Maps updates to support multiple stops, a much requested update. Now Google Maps has what MyLink Nav used to have exclusively with their Waypoints. You were limited to 5 waypoints with MyLink. I'm not sure if Google Maps has such a limit.

I recently saw an update for Google Maps and being curious I checked out the "What's New" section. It said:
  • Add multiple destinations to your route, get directions and navigate
  • Search for places along your route when getting directions
  • Add notes to your days in Your Timeline to keep track of the memories you make on the go

Become a beta tester http://goo.glVLUcaJ
Now I already knew about how you can search while navigating a route and find say a restaurant and add a (single) stop to your route. But now you can do more than a single additional stop!

Note I also signed up to be a beta tester and it downloaded the beta app (says so in the name) so I assume I have this functionality but could not find it at first. The trick is to tap the "hamburger menu" before you tap the ^ symbol to start navigation. There you will see an Add Stops selection. Add stops and then tap Done. Then you will have multiple stops. Other options appear to Edit Stops (in the app) and Remove Next Stop (in the app and in AA too). This is on Google Maps on the phone. I suspect this is only be in the beta version.

What I'd really like is to be able to use Google Maps on a laptop/desktop, find locations, string together my stops then send that route as a package to my phone. Google Maps on my phone (and thus powering AA) should then be able to handle the multi-stop route.

Turns out you can set up a multistop route in the desktop/browser version of Google Maps by clicking on the + sign after selecting your destination and starting point! Alas you cannot yet send a multistop route to your phone (yet! I believe this is a restriction because Google Maps with multistops is still in beta).

Oh and for people interested in learning all about Android Auto, note that there is an Android Auto forum over at AndroidCentral where I have a thread (New Google Maps (Beta) and AA) about this going.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:19 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

How well does AA google maps work on mylink? Does it work on cars with both nav and non-nav Mylink?
Old 01-19-2022, 05:39 PM
Nerissa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google maps multiple stops helps you find the fastest itinerary along multiple stops. I hope this will help you alot.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Warpdrv
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
How well does AA google maps work on mylink? Does it work on cars with both nav and non-nav Mylink?

Google maps works awesome on Android Auto - its exactly what your phone does but puts it on the screen, at least on our new durango - just basically works off the phone, display on screen.... I have yet to drive my new to me and first Vette - but I can't imagine its any different....

Let me know AA people if I'm off on this....
Old 01-19-2022, 08:21 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 281 Posts

I lay out my complete itinerary on google My Maps on the desktop. Works well and pretty easy, even for me. But have not found a way to print out the step by step directions nor transfer the map to Google Maps.
Anyone have similar experience?

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto and Google Maps multiple stops support

Quick Reply: Android Auto and Google Maps multiple stops support