C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Oil Separator Canister on Intake Tube?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:20 PM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Z06 Oil Separator Canister on Intake Tube?

In the following pictures, the stock intake on the Z06 has a small canister on the bottom side of the intake tube that has a hose coming from the Dry Sump Oil Tank. Is the purpose of this canister to separate any oil mist from the vent of the Oil Tank to the Intake Tube? If yes, does this canister have to be emptied from time to time? If no, what is the purpose of this canister and does it require any maintenance?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

What model year Z06 is this?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by RocksZC7
In the following pictures, the stock intake on the Z06 has a small canister on the bottom side of the intake tube that has a hose coming from the Dry Sump Oil Tank. Is the purpose of this canister to separate any oil mist from the vent of the Oil Tank to the Intake Tube? If yes, does this canister have to be emptied from time to time? If no, what is the purpose of this canister and does it require any maintenance?

Interesting! Since, IMO it is not to collect oil and there is no discussion of emptying wonder if it is a helmholtz resonator? (One reason, IMO, GM does not offer a catch can, EPA would not allow a system that required periodic emptying when many owners don't even check oil level when they should)

These are used on many cars to reduce intake air pulses mostly for noise reduction but can have other benefits. You can google for details.
The following users liked this post:
RocksZC7 (07-16-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryU
Interesting! Since, IMO it is not to collect oil and there is no discussion of emptying wonder if it is a helmholtz resonator?

These are used on many cars to reduce intake air pulses mostly for noise reduction but can have other benefits. You can google for details.
Found the attached for those interested in a short explanation of what a Helmholtz resonator is all about. In addition to what I believe most are added for, intake noise reduction also copied info on how it can be used to increase volumetric efficiency.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-15-2016 at 10:38 PM.
RocksZC7 (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 01:03 AM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

My 2015 Z06 has it and I wondered what it did. I guess now I know .

I assume that since the LT4 has it that the LT1 also has it since it basically has the same intake design !
Old 07-16-2016, 07:35 AM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Found the attached for those interested in a short explanation of what a Helmholtz resonator is all about. In addition to what I believe most are added for, intake noise reduction also copied info on how it can be used to increase volumetric efficiency.

JerryU, your guess about being a Helmholtz Resonator is probably correct. Any idea why GM would connect the Dry Sump Tank to the resonator? Is it possible that the pulsing inside the resonator that is caused from sudden changes in mass flow (stepping on the gas) purges the oil tank of any blow-by vapor? Do any of the after market intake kits also include a resonator?

Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 AM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by The_Gretz
What model year Z06 is this?
The photos are from a 2016 Z06.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Oskee
My 2015 Z06 has it and I wondered what it did. I guess now I know .

I assume that since the LT4 has it that the LT1 also has it since it basically has the same intake design !
Originally Posted by RocksZC7
JerryU, your guess about being a Helmholtz Resonator is probably correct. Any idea why GM would connect the Dry Sump Tank to the resonator? Is it possible that the pulsing inside the resonator that is caused from sudden changes in mass flow (stepping on the gas) purges the oil tank of any blow-by vapor? Do any of the after market intake kits also include a resonator?

There is one in the LT1, didn't think about it until this post! Was well aware of the obvious large one on my S-10! I modified that air intake when I installed a K&N filter. It looked like the appendage on a male elephant seal! Assume it has something to do with his bellow!

Perhaps they put the hose inlet there because of the pressure pulses. Thought the were mostly added to reduce intake noise. This is a pic of the one that was on my aFe cold air duct, which is a similar shape to the one on the OEM duct. It is hard to see since the radiator hood air duct covers it.

The appendage with the label "Plenty of Clearance" is on the aFe cold air duct, similar shape to the one on the OEM duct where the hose from the Dry Sump take and filtered air going to the crackcase for the PCV system insert. Made this pic for the PDF on the aFe install.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-16-2016 at 08:02 AM.
RocksZC7 (07-16-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Oil Separator Canister on Intake Tube?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Oil Separator Canister on Intake Tube?