Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I grenaded my torque tube...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 PM
jknox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I think I grenaded my torque tube...

I'm honestly not sure but with where the sound is coming from I think the bearing assembly in the torque tube gave up the proverbial ghost. The car still seems to run fine at idle but there is a definite squeaking and vibrating sound coming from roughly the center front of the cabin. Anyone else had one come apart on them? The damn car only has 9k miles on it...
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Bummer. It would help if you told us a little about your car and how you've driven it.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:41 PM
jknox
Advanced

2015 z51 7 speed. Driven like a granny with maybe 3 or 4 spirited runs.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Can you still drive the car?

Does the sound change with car speed?

Get up to speed, push in clutch and rev engine, does noise change with engine rpm or speed as car slows?
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (08-10-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jknox
I'm honestly not sure but with where the sound is coming from I think the bearing assembly in the torque tube gave up the proverbial ghost. The car still seems to run fine at idle but there is a definite squeaking and vibrating sound coming from roughly the center front of the cabin. Anyone else had one come apart on them? The damn car only has 9k miles on it...
I had one doing the same thing on my 14 after 2K miles they had to replace the TT/Driveshaft assembly. At that time there were a couple different procedures for replacing the assembly, dealer chose the wrong one and the rear main went. Eventually all was well.

My advise is take it to the dealer and have them check it. If they have to replace it ensure the have all current procedures on replacement.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I too would take it into the dealer and let them take a look at it. That really sucks that something like that would happen after only 9K miles.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Post a video from inside the cabin, door closed and no radio. Flaps closed too
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (08-10-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

2015 z51 7 speed. Driven like a granny with maybe 3 or 4 spirited runs.
Hmm, I have a Z51, M7 and drive it such that I use the HD suspension and hit the rev limited from time to time! On our rural roads next to corn fields that includes 3rd! Often shifting at 6000 rpm for fun out of 2nd for example.
Why would you get a Z51 and live with brake pads that dust so bad you have to clean the wheels every ~100 miles (I did for a year until I put on Carbotech 1521's) stickier large diameter front times that make "Chatter" worse on slow speed turns so you need to make "K" turns when it's below 45 F, deal with a dry sump and drive like a "Granny!?"

Only 73 so hope I don't get that old!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Think I grenaded my torque tube...
congrats
Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
M7 & hit the rev limiter from time to time!
excellent shiftin'

Last edited by C8Jake; 07-20-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:57 PM
jknox
Advanced

Originally Posted by markcz
Can you still drive the car?

Does the sound change with car speed?

Get up to speed, push in clutch and rev engine, does noise change with engine rpm or speed as car slows?
Sound does not change with speed but does change with engine RPM. I will get some videos from within the cabin when I get home this weekend.

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, I have a Z51, M7 and drive it such that I use the HD suspension and hit the rev limited from time to time! On our rural roads next to corn fields that includes 3rd! Often shifting at 6000 rpm for fun out of 2nd for example.
Why would you get a Z51 and live with brake pads that dust so bad you have to clean the wheels every ~100 miles (I did for a year until I put on Carbotech 1521's) stickier large diameter front times that make "Chatter" worse on slow speed turns so you need to make "K" turns when it's below 45 F, deal with a dry sump and drive like a "Granny!?"

Only 73 so hope I don't get that old!
I corner like crazy I just don't hammer on it nearly as much as I'd like to...paranoia about breaking something mostly. I only clean my wheels twice a month so you have me beat there
Old 07-21-2016, 12:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

S
I corner like crazy I just don't hammer on it nearly as much as I'd like to...paranoia about breaking something mostly. I only clean my wheels twice a month so you have me beat there
The "g" force on corning is the most fun anyway! I sure hope that engine can take anything I can possible do on the street! I'm sure it could spin well past the rev limit but it does hit a brick wall at 6600 rpm so it's protected! I usually shift before that comes into play! But if the folks who track can operate at high rpm's for long periods I'm sure what I subject it to is very mild!

But agree going around the large fountain on the single lane road segment at the end of my street is not done at high rpm or high speed but the "g" force achieved is high and fun!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-21-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:24 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

If you do this: Get up to speed, push in clutch and rev engine

and this happens: Sound does not change with speed but does change with engine RPM.

the problem isn't in the torque tube.

With the car in gear and the clutch pedal depressed, the shaft in the torque tube is turning at the speed of the transmission input shaft, not the engine.

What you may be hearing is the pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft. It supports the front end of the short shaft that goes through the clutch disc, which turns at the speed of the shaft in the torque tube. Noise in the pilot bearing would change as you rev the engine with the car in gear and the clutch pedal depressed.
The following 2 users liked this post by WelderGuy:
JerryU (07-21-2016), Maxie2U (08-10-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 AM
jknox
Advanced

That may be something I need to try. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the clutch was at the rear of the torque tube with the rest of the transmission pack. Is this not the case? I won't be able to get to the car until tomorrow as it's in my storage garage at my grandparent's house(the thing let go on the dirt road to their house...talk about good timing i suppose). I'll get it out and let it roll a little and see what I can figure out given what you've told me. Thanks for the insight!

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
If you do this: Get up to speed, push in clutch and rev engine

and this happens: Sound does not change with speed but does change with engine RPM.

the problem isn't in the torque tube.

With the car in gear and the clutch pedal depressed, the shaft in the torque tube is turning at the speed of the transmission input shaft, not the engine.

What you may be hearing is the pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft. It supports the front end of the short shaft that goes through the clutch disc, which turns at the speed of the shaft in the torque tube. Noise in the pilot bearing would change as you rev the engine with the car in gear and the clutch pedal depressed.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:30 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

I had a similar sound I thought was the torque tube or somewhere in the drivetrain but it ended up being the high pressure fuel pump. You have a video clip of the sound?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

That may be something I need to try. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the clutch was at the rear of the torque tube with the rest of the transmission pack. Is this not the case? I won't be able to get to the car until tomorrow as it's in my storage garage at my grandparent's house(the thing let go on the dirt road to their house...talk about good timing i suppose). I'll get it out and let it roll a little and see what I can figure out given what you've told me. Thanks for the insight!
FWIW, the clutch assembly and throwout bearing are attached to the engine flywheel as in any car. However you indicate a vibration which usually does not accompany a bad bearing.

The car also has a two piece dual mass flywheel. There were some early reports of the springs coming lose but again that would make a clicking sound not vibration as would the high pressure fuel pump.

Sounds like it definitely needs a trip to a dealer.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-25-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 PM
jknox
Advanced

So...Just to update. Took it in to the dealership to have them diagnose it, after a day of them digging around it turns out it was a grenaded motor instead. Apparently it ate a rod bearing. On a positive note I'm getting a fresh crate motor under warranty...
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM
dmvette
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry about your troubles but sounds like they will get you back on the road soon.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I grenaded my torque tube...

Quick Reply: I think I grenaded my torque tube...