Sponsored by:

A8-Here I Go

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:40 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Yes, but its transmission RPM, not engine RPM.
How the heck do ya check tranny RPM ? tks ..
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

The latest PIP lists vehicles produced prior to 11/01. Mine was made 11/14. Surely GM is smart enough to known my A8 came from the same batch since it exhibits these symptoms.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:43 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevettec7
The latest PIP lists vehicles produced prior to 11/01. Mine was made 11/14. Surely GM is smart enough to known my A8 came from the same batch since it exhibits these symptoms.
I feel you may giving GM just a tad too much credit.... that notice has been changed and updated how many times ?
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by bbcb
I feel you may giving GM just a tad too much credit.... that notice has been changed and updated how many times ?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
AFM is garbage
I was at one point excited about the new 8 speed transmission and considered getting it on my 15 z51 when I placed the order 2 years ago. However, I did not like the idea that AFM engages in all driving modes unless in the manual mode. At least on my 7m it only engages if in econo mod which it never is! I have never regretted getting the manual transmission and I know that would not have been the case had I chosen the automatic. While I may wrestle with other options when I purchase my new Z06.......one of them will not be the choice of transmission. I do however have the 8 speed transmission in my 16 Denali and my 15 GMC pickup. They both have the 6.2L engine and are seamless in transmission and shifts. I guess I just viewed a sports car differently in my thought process. At the end of the day the right answer is the one that best fits your needs and desire!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

How the heck do ya check tranny RPM ? tks ..

The dealer has to do it.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Haha! Good point.

**UPDATE 9/6/2016**

Took my C7 to another dealer closer to my home on the recommendation of a forum member (Thanks Red-C6 of Jax). The service advisor instantly introduced me to the Corvette technician and we left to do a ride along. Thankfully the problem was easy to duplicate while he was sitting next to me. He said he's done 7 torque converter's so far for this problem. They actually had two in stock. I should have my car back in a couple days.

Last edited by stevettec7; 09-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
HoustonMidtown (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Now they are saying no later than Thursday which is 11 business days (not counting Saturdays and Sundays) since I dropped it off. I don't think they are having issues, they didn't start it when they said they were going to start. This is aggravating because they had wanted me to drop it off the week before, but I said I didn't want the car just sitting at the dealership waiting to be worked on.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Now they are saying no later than Thursday which is 11 business days (not counting Saturdays and Sundays) since I dropped it off. I don't think they are having issues, they didn't start it when they said they were going to start. This is aggravating because they had wanted me to drop it off the week before, but I said I didn't want the car just sitting at the dealership waiting to be worked on.
Similar timing with mine - it took 9 business days -- part of that was waiting for the parts to arrive.

Hang in there !!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
Similar timing with mine - it took 9 business days -- part of that was waiting for the parts to arrive.

Hang in there !!
I didn't take it in until they said the parts had arrived.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

I picked the brain of the Corvette tech while he rode along with me checking out my transmission shudder. Now that I'm becoming a little more educated with the issue, I thought it is worth mentioning that he said he hasn't seen/heard of any complaints like this on A8's with less than approximately 10k miles.

So here's a thought... I have a friend that RARELY pulls his C7 out of his garage. There's a chance when he finally starts to experience this torque converter issue, his warranty will have expired.

The tech told me what they are looking for specifically is the shudder/shake while V4 is displayed constantly. When you accelerate slightly without engaging V8, it will vibrate. He also said all they need to do is monitor the tach for fluctuations. It is directly related to the torque converter slip as the engine load is changing as the transmission slips. I could feather the throttle in those conditions and make it constantly shake.

The moral to the story....?

I'm in no way saying if it hasn't failed, it will eventually, but it probably won't start to fail until it's been driven.

Last edited by stevettec7; 09-07-2016 at 02:33 PM.
cam30era (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

I picked the brain of the Corvette tech while he rode along with me checking out my transmission shudder. Now that I'm becoming a little more educated with the issue, I thought it is worth mentioning that he said he hasn't seen/heard of any complaints like this on A8's with less than approximately 10k miles.

So here's a thought... I have a friend that RARELY pulls his C7 out of his garage. There's a chance when he finally starts to experience this torque converter issue, his warranty will have expired.

The tech told me what they are looking for specifically is the shudder/shake while V4 is displayed constantly. When you accelerate slightly without engaging V8, it will vibrate. He also said all they need to do is monitor the tach for fluctuations. It is directly related to the torque converter slip as the engine load is changing as the transmission slips. I could feather the throttle in those conditions and make it constantly shake.

I'm in no way saying if it hasn't failed, it will eventually, but I mostly probably won't start to fail until it's been driven.
Thank you for the post/insight...GM knows the Vette is not a car driven daily in many cases...so GM can get by with no recall..The poor slobs that own these cars and plan on keeping them for many years had better buy extended warranty . As word spreads about the A8 issues resale values will be impacted..You mentioned the 10k miles threshold ..I asked in another thread { is there any A8 2015 - Aug. 2016 builds that have not had A8 problems with 25000 miles } no takers so far..
Everyday I read , hear and see problems with this car... I gave GM a shot after 40 years of refusing to buy their product . Really wish I had followed my own advice ...the power and great looks of the C7 is just not worth it....
stevettec7 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

I agree to a point and I was falling out of love with my car. I think the excitement will return once my torque converter is replaced and she's running smoothly again. I think of owning a Vette like owning a Harley (of course new Harley's aren't prone to break) It's a cultural thing. We love it's looks and feel so much we're willing to accept that it's not perfect.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

I'm in no way saying if it hasn't failed, it will eventually, but I mostly probably won't start to fail until it's been driven.
You're exactly right. My car started shuddering around 9300 miles. I try to tell people who say they have XXXX miles on their car and have had no problems that they are going to have problems when their mileage approaches 10K. It's a mechanical device--all the 2015 and early 2016 transmissions are the same. If one shudders they all should eventually do it.
stevettec7 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

You're exactly right. My car started shuddering around 9300 miles. I try to tell people who say they have XXXX miles on their car and have had no problems that they are going to have problems when their mileage approaches 10K. It's a mechanical device--all the 2015 and early 2016 transmissions are the same. If one shudders they all should eventually do it.
TKS the used car market will be flooded with these as the word spreads

as it has already ... Side note ...I read that Toyota will be putting an A8
in the 2017 Highlander ... will be interesting to see how many of those are bad ....I know my 4 year old Audi A8 has been flawless ...45000 miles
Old 09-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have witnessed an "inching up" of the anticipated mileage where these failures will occur. Originally it was "after the first couple thousand miles"... and later "4-6k miles they will be dropping like flies"... to now I am hearing "at 10k... it's toast".

If, and I'm saying "if"... if there's reports of many of these "faulty years" of the A8 TC not having issues at 20k miles, will it get further jacked up to 30k miles then ?

It's almost like there's wishful thinking that these failures need to happen.

On another note; I still see some talking about A8 "transmission" problems.
Granted, early on GM swapped trannies quickly to avoid bad press. And too many times after the new transmission was replaced - we heard "it's happening again"; but now we know it probably was the TC (mostly) all along. Their early knee-jerk repairs were done without fully identifying where/what the real failure was.

yeah, I know it's somewhat nit-picky "symantics"; but the TC now appears to be the actual demon we are wrestling with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Mercury:
Carvin (09-08-2016), Scruff Vette (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:18 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I have witnessed an "inching up" of the anticipated mileage where these failures will occur. Originally it was "after the first couple thousand miles"... and later "4-6k miles they will be dropping like flies"... to now I am hearing "at 10k... it's toast".

If, and I'm saying "if"... if there's reports of many of these "faulty years" of the A8 TC not having issues at 20k miles, will it get further jacked up to 30k miles then ?

Granted, early on GM swapped trannies quickly to avoid bad press. And too many times after the new transmission was replaced - we heard "it's happening again"; but now we know it probably was the TC (mostly) all along. Their early knee-jerk repairs were done without fully identifying where/what the real failure was.

yeah, I know it's somewhat nit-picky "symantics"; but the TC now appears to be the actual demon we are wrestling with.
Absolutely! I'm not happy mine is in the shop, but I AM glad I drive her enough to have had the failure inside the warranty period. Of course I bought the extended warranty.
Mike Mercury (09-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To A8-Here I Go

Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

No one is wishing a problematic A8 on anyone, but the fact remains that the A8 in the 2015 and 2016 manufactured up to November 2015 are a different part number than those manufactured after 2016. Anyone sitting at 6000 miles and saying "So far so good." is just whistling past the grave yard.

The TC definitely is the issue with the shuddering problem and that shows up around 10K and that's the number that I've heard since day one with the shuddering issue. Why? Who knows. I've heard that there is a defective o-ring which allows fluid to leak past it causing the TC to lock and unlock.

GM didn't do their dealers any favors with the way they addressed the problems we were experiencing. Some people got new transmissions, and new torque converters in the process, while others didn't. Telling an owner to "live with it" until we can find a fix while replacing transmissions for others is just wrong. As far as I'm concerned GM still hasn't responded as they should by telling all owners with the original A8 part number to bring their car in for a new TC. Making them wait to experience the shuddering problem, when they know its going to eventually happen is just BS. Forums like this made the uneven response even more noticeable.

I've been working with GM and my dealer since January--9 months with a car that is just not fun to drive so yes I'm a little angry about the situation.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 09-08-2016 at 08:45 AM.
bbcb (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 AM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2015 delivered on Oct 31,2014 with 32000 miles and I am not seeing this problem.

Reb

Last edited by RobertEarl; 09-08-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Anyone sitting at 6000 miles and saying "So far so good." is just whistling past the grave yard.
I think you are making the wrong point with that...

Originally Posted by instead, I am seeing it like this:
Anyone sitting at 6000 miles and saying "So far so good." is just

reporting accurately.
I am at 4900 miles; 2015 A8 made on second day of production. So far, so good.

this is not a "commentary", just reporting factually.

Originally Posted by E T
I've been working with GM and my dealer since January--9 months with a car that is just not fun to drive so yes I'm a little angry about the situation.
completely understood.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 09-08-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: A8-Here I Go