Sponsored by:

Z06 - No Test Drives

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:13 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z06 - No Test Drives

I'm currently in a 911 S. I love the car but was considering a switch back to a Z06 or possibly the upcoming GS. Dropped by a couple local dealers and got the same level of customer service at each one. Absolutely no test drives in a new Z06. I'm a middle aged guy who's owned a half dozen Corvettes over the years with plenty of $$ to spend wherever I choose. I understand their reasoning but I find it totally unacceptable. Why would I spend 100k + on a car I can't even test drive?

Porsche doesn't give you that kind of BS especially if you are a loyal customer. Heck, I was recently given a nice gift certificate to a five star local restaurant to test drive a 2017 911 S - 130k sticker give or take. Porsche is first class and it shows in how they deal with their customers. Chevrolet is not and it shows in how they deal with their customers. I will spend my money elsewhere and my next car will probably be another Porsche.

Last edited by WhiteKnight; 07-30-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Popular Reply

07-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

People may get upset at this, but I'm going to call it as I see it:

The demographics of Corvette owners is mostly comprised of older folks who are finally "achieving" a dream. I doubt the majority of Corvettes are working "Director" level jobs that make $150k+ a year. On average, most Vette owners are middle/upper middle class at best; sometimes even blue collar folks who save up their money over the years and are finally able to buy their "dream" car. Because it took so long to achieve this goal, these owners will value and treat their car much better. They know the car inside and out. Every detail, option, HP, you name it. They will even go as far as customizing every detail to make the car their own. This is why most Vette owners will not buy a "used" vette or one that's been test driven by someone else (if they can help it). Smaller dealerships cant let you test drive for this reason. They will be out of the "1 allocation" they have for it.

Porsche drivers on the other end are usually (on average) younger and most successful businessmen/women who have an image to keep. Often times, these people aren't even car people, they just want something "nice" that screams "I'm better than you." You will rarely see a Porsche owner baby their car or customize it. They will drive it until they get bored and buy a better one in a couple of years. In fact, someone looking to buy a Porsche might walk into a dealership, point at a car and say "I'll buy that one" without even knowing a thing about the car or it's performance specs.

Now, I'm sure there is more to it than this, but here's my take: Dealerships will cater to their respective client market. Most people who walk into a Chevy dealership aren't going to buy a Corvette. The ones that are, will most likely buy the car whether they get treated well or not - so long as the "price is right." Because there is no extra profit margin for being nice, dealerships have less incentive to do so. Porsche (or any other luxury dealership) on the other hand will "kiss ***" to their clientele because that's the type of attitude and treatment the person (usually a Sr Manager/Director/CEO/etc) is used to getting. When all you have to do is stoke their ego a bit to sell at MSRP, that's easy money.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

I was able to test drive one. It's not every dealer.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Plenty of $$ to spend > currently in a 911 & love it > next car will probably be a Porsche.
tks for sharin' that

Last edited by C8Jake; 07-31-2016 at 02:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by C8Jake:
86C4Z51 (08-01-2016), DOOKEY (08-11-2016), ManuelCarrillo3 (08-01-2016), unload (08-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:25 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm currently in a 911 S. I love the car but was considering a switch back to a Z06 or possibly the upcoming GS. Dropped by a couple local dealers and got the same level of customer service at each one. Absolutely no test drives in a new Z06. I'm a middle aged guy who's owned a half dozen Corvettes over the years with plenty of $$ to spend wherever I choose. I understand their reasoning but I find it totally unacceptable. Why would I spend 100k + on a car I can't even test drive?

Porsche doesn't give you that kind of BS especially if you are a loyal customer. Heck, I was recently given a nice gift certificate to a five star local restaurant to test drive a 2017 911 S - 130k sticker give or take. Porsche is first class and it shows in how they deal with their customers. Chevrolet is not and it shows in how they deal with their customers. I will spend my money elsewhere and my next car will probably be another Porsche.
I am always confused when I see these posts. When I was ready to purchase my new C7 at Les Stanford they were more than happy to let both me and my wife test drive a car. This must be a dealer thing or a geographic thing.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:27 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Take a flight up to Kerbeck in Atlantic City. They will be happy to help you out. Stay at the Borgata and enjoy your weekend while there.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with you, total BS. I own a C7 now and love it. However, I have owned Porsches in the past and never had an issue with test drives. I will also say the buying experience was a bit better with Porsche.

When you buy the P car, take it to the Chevy dealer that denied the ride and tell him Porsche let me drive this.....and I bought it. lol
Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

The 911 is just another Porsche in a sea of expensive cars, nothing special. Dealer has nothing to loose by letting you drive it, and everything to gain. A lot of the cars on the lot have a few test miles on them, but I doubt they tossed you the keys to a 918.

The Z06 is the cream of the crop in a sea of not so expensive cars....
Different game, with quite different players.
The following 3 users liked this post by L8ter:
ALD_Z06 (08-10-2016), BenCasey (08-01-2016), ManuelCarrillo3 (08-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Go find and drive a used Z06. Problem solved.
Most Corvette owners don't want a new C7 that anyone else has test driven, so you can blame it on us.
The following 4 users liked this post by RedC7AZ:
ALD_Z06 (08-10-2016), jclarksnakes (07-31-2016), JerryU (07-30-2016), LSRX (08-02-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

Yes, we have a winner! It's the fault of so many Corvette customers who refuse to purchase a car that has more than 1-4 miles on the odometer.

The mega (Kerbeck, McMulkin, Criswell, and other larger dealers can afford to have a demo around for a test drive, but the little guys, w/ only a handful of allocations a year, can't afford to do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JerryU (07-30-2016), joeybsyc (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I've purchased several cars out-of-state and had them shipped, including my C7Z, and obviously never test drove them... Personally, it never bothered me as I already made a decision to buy.

I do understand those who feel like they have to take a car for a spin before making a purchase, and I'm sure if you look around you'll find a dealership to accommodate you.

I know that some of the forum dealers will be happy to oblige, and if it's a condition of purchase, then I guess that "other" dealer missed an opportunity to close a deal.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

But, if he allowed a test drive to someone who decided to not buy, he lost the opportunity to sell the car to a much larger Corvette demographic who insist on essentially no miles on the clock. There are a lot of tire kickers and test drivers out there who have no intention to buy. He weighed the options and probably made the much smarter decision.

I don't think the average Porsche buyer would be nearly as freaked out if the car had 30 miles or so on the odometer.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-30-2016 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ALD_Z06 (08-10-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:51 PM
ChucksGrnH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It is definitely a dealer thing. I generally deal with a very small dealership that is about 20 miles away. As a whole, they treat me great, and I love their service department. However, several years ago, I was ready to replace my suburban, and before I had them get the color I wanted from another dealership, I asked if I could test drive the one in their showroom. Their response was "Not today, the roads are wet, and we just detailed it, if it dries up tomorrow, you can come take it for a short test drive, but you can't take it home." I was kind of dumbfounded, but as I said, they have treated me very well since I bought my first corvette from them in 2003.
I just purchased a Z06 C7R from them, they had to purchase it from another dealership and still gave me GMS pricing. Had it been at their dealership, I am doubtful that they would have allowed a test drive.
Two days after I called them to see if they could get the car for me at GMS pricing, I happened to stop by a much larger dealership that specializes in Corvettes(they must have had 30-40 new Corvettes on their lot). My only purpose was to see the new Corvette Racing Yellow color, and hopefully pick up a Corvette book. It was about 10 minutes before closing, and they asked me if I would like to take a test drive. I said no, you are closing in 10 minutes, I don't want to hold you up. Their response was it's no problem, if you would like to drive it we'll throw a plate on it. My response was, well, if you insist, I would be happy to take a brand new Z06 out for a drive. They slapped a plate on it and handed me the keys...no license check, no insurance check...just here's the keys, enjoy!
After that experience, I really wanted to buy my car from them, but I had already put my usual salesman on trying to get it. I was half hoping that the small dealership couldn't pull off the deal so that I could go to the larger dealership. I was also talking to another owner at a local car cruise who had bought his corvette at the larger dealership. He told me they offered to allow him to take the car home overnight(they are probably about 40+ miles away).
Bottom line, it is all up to the dealer and how many corvettes they have sitting in the lot!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:51 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Your not going to buy a vette because a couple dealerships didn't let your test drive the Z06? It's depends on the dealership. I'm sure there are some people who have gone to test drive a Porsche and the dealership refused to let them test drive. Not all dealerships are like this. I'm under 20 and I test drove a black on black Z06 and came back and ordered one. Depends on the dealership. Can't believe you just said your not going to buy a vette now because of a dealership experience, but it does sound stupid of the dealership to not allow someone who is looking to buy a Z06 not test drive one.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:52 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

For what it's worth when I was looking to buy my Z51 all the dealers around me totally sucked, they barely spoke to me never mind a test drive. On the plus side that's how I found this forum, found Kerbeck and got an awesome deal I would have never got locally.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

When I was lookin for my C7 LT1 NRB, I had two dealers insist I test drive the C7 Z06. I test drove one knowing I wasn't going to buy it, and refused to test drive the other. Call GM and complain. That's BS.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 - No Test Drives

Old 07-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

People may get upset at this, but I'm going to call it as I see it:

The demographics of Corvette owners is mostly comprised of older folks who are finally "achieving" a dream. I doubt the majority of Corvettes are working "Director" level jobs that make $150k+ a year. On average, most Vette owners are middle/upper middle class at best; sometimes even blue collar folks who save up their money over the years and are finally able to buy their "dream" car. Because it took so long to achieve this goal, these owners will value and treat their car much better. They know the car inside and out. Every detail, option, HP, you name it. They will even go as far as customizing every detail to make the car their own. This is why most Vette owners will not buy a "used" vette or one that's been test driven by someone else (if they can help it). Smaller dealerships cant let you test drive for this reason. They will be out of the "1 allocation" they have for it.

Porsche drivers on the other end are usually (on average) younger and most successful businessmen/women who have an image to keep. Often times, these people aren't even car people, they just want something "nice" that screams "I'm better than you." You will rarely see a Porsche owner baby their car or customize it. They will drive it until they get bored and buy a better one in a couple of years. In fact, someone looking to buy a Porsche might walk into a dealership, point at a car and say "I'll buy that one" without even knowing a thing about the car or it's performance specs.

Now, I'm sure there is more to it than this, but here's my take: Dealerships will cater to their respective client market. Most people who walk into a Chevy dealership aren't going to buy a Corvette. The ones that are, will most likely buy the car whether they get treated well or not - so long as the "price is right." Because there is no extra profit margin for being nice, dealerships have less incentive to do so. Porsche (or any other luxury dealership) on the other hand will "kiss ***" to their clientele because that's the type of attitude and treatment the person (usually a Sr Manager/Director/CEO/etc) is used to getting. When all you have to do is stoke their ego a bit to sell at MSRP, that's easy money.

Last edited by Bui; 07-30-2016 at 06:41 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Bui:
ALD_Z06 (08-10-2016), Gotta-Qik-C7 (08-01-2016), L8ter (07-30-2016), LT4play (07-31-2016), Playboy2 (07-30-2016), Tjf2000 (07-31-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

I was able to test-drive a used one. A few miles don't matter on a used car, but they do to someone buying a brand new one.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I got a test drive on the one I bought. It wasn't a Z06, but when I called the dealer and asked if they could match the offer I got from a dealer on the forum he got back to me and said he could and asked me if I would like him to bring it over to my house for a test drive? I live 5 miles away from the dealer. Of course I said yes. So I decided to buy it and he came back to me the next day with the car and the papers to sign and we had a done deal. I thought that was pretty good service.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-30-2016 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (07-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Z06 - No Test Drives