C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering 2017 Coupe - Need some advice PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:34 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Ordering 2017 Coupe - Need some advice PLEASE!

Hello ALL!
I've owned a C5 and C6 Corvette....Sold my C6 in 2010 and have been Vetteless ever since. I'm getting the itch again, and the C7 is too awesome to resist any longer. I do have a few questions before I order since I have been out of the Vette loop for a few years. Your opinions and information would be greatly appreciated!

1 - How much better is the C7 than the C6? What are the most notable differences? Will this car hold it's value as well as previous Gen Vettes?

2 - I will not be racing the car, or taking it to the track. It will be driven to work and back and maybe to an occasional car show. With that being said, I know most folks are going to say get the Z51 package...but, I really don't need to drop 80k for this car, so I'm thinking going without the Z51 and getting the 2LT with the options below. Please tell me WHY I should get the Z51, and will it be worth that much more when I go to sell it in a few years with the Z51?

Options I'm considering:
2LT
Torch Red GKZ
Adrenaline Red 70*
Automatic, 8 - Spd w/Paddle Shift M5U
Dual Roof Pkg, Color Keyed C2Q
Interior Enhancement Pkg 5V6
Brake Calipers, Red J6F
Suspension, Magnetic Selective Ride FE4
Competition Sport Bucket AE4
Splash Guards VQK
Body Color Wing Spoiler
Chrome Aluminum Q7E

Questions:
What is the code for the Body Color Wing Spoiler?

Which Chrome Aluminum wheels look the best? Not a fan of black or painted.

Are the Competition Sport Bucket seats worth the cost, and are they more or less comfortable for just daily driving?

Is the Interior Enhancement package worth the money (5V6)?

Is there a way to JUST GET THE PAINTED ROOF and not the clear roof with it, to save money?

Is there any other options I am missing that are MUST HAVES?

Thanks so much for you input!

Mark
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 PM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the consensus is if you don't track it, the Z51 isn't 'needed'. HOWEVER, the MRC will cost over 3k w/o the Z51 package. (it's under 2k WITH the Z51). Also, make sure you sit in the competition seats first, I've heard mixed reviews. The 'base' seats are fantastic and light years better than the C6 seat. My driving 'needs' are similar to yours and I 'just' have a base C7, I couldn't be happier.
The following users liked this post:
mlinn1967 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

If the Z51 isn't important to you save your money.
The GT seats are very comfortable save $2K.
The body colored top is standard at no charge.
The 2LT gets you all you need.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2K14C7:
JK 23112 (08-02-2016), LIE2ME (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,572 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
If the Z51 isn't important to you save your money.
The GT seats are very comfortable save $2K.
The body colored top is standard at no charge.
The 2LT gets you all you need.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

C6 to c7...... I was gonna buy a c6z06 until I drove my uncles c7! The c7 is faster than the c6 z06, more comfortable, tighter, and the best corvette GM has ever put out to compete with the exotics! As far as the extras, the 2lt is all you need, the z51 gives you the bigger wheels, tires, brakes, sway bars, shocks and dry sump, but there is a package you can get with the base car that will give you the bigger wheels, tires and rear spoiler. Comp seats if you fit in them are prb great too and look great, but decide what's important to you and grab those extras!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

When you say the body colored top is standard at no charge.....does that mean I don't have to select the option C2Q for both tops?? If so, I can save $1,900 bucks!!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
me too

At times I think I missed out not getting Mag Ride and the exhaust but mostly I'm pleased with my base.

Stock seats are fine. I got the clear top, body color spoiler, red calipers

I did put Z51 sway bars on at a small cost - $400 installed by dealer.

I am on the fence about doing a track day at Roebling late Sept - even in my base - just for the experience. Note to self: turn off A/C and set to Track. Forgot to do that at NCM track for the "touring laps"...du oh !
mlinn1967 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm ordering my 2017 standard with the colored top and will eventually pick up the other two when I see some deals on them. They are overpriced from GM IMO.

You can always upgrade and install seats on your own if you change your mind later.

What I am doing with my GS order is trying to order things I want that will be difficult to install by myself. Things like the HUD/PDR would not be installations I want to tackle.
mlinn1967 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mlinn1967
When you say the body colored top is standard at no charge.....does that mean I don't have to select the option C2Q for both tops?? If so, I can save $1,900 bucks!!
Yea, you don't need to order that. The car will come with the body color painted top.
mlinn1967 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:15 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

As 2K14C7 posted and LIE2ME agreed so go I.
I have a 15 2LT with the AR interior, base suspension which I added the Z51 suspension kit to ( Z51 sway bars ) to help with lateral body roll. The base suspension does not have rear sway bar, so I felt that it would help to balance the car out if I decided to make a few twisties on a Sunday drive.
Mag ride is nice and will help with control of body roll as it has larger sway bars both front and rear...but not needed.
Save your money on the comp seats, the GT seat is fine and in the 2LT package you get plenty of adjustments to fit your back and rear.
Buy the splash gards after market and diy, save some bucks for a night out with your favorite squeeze. You can get them at Cultrag Performance, a supporting vendor on the forum.
Interior Enhancement Package...meh.
Z51 will add a few bucks at resale but you will negate the extra you net spending money on tires and oil changes.
I have 25,500 on my tires and it is time to replace the fronts, Z51 will wear about the same if you don't drive hard.
Want some really cool wheels get the upgrades that are dealer installed, about 5K extra.
Look at several and drive a couple if you can, that is the only sure way to help you decide.
Good Luck and enjoy the hunt.
Oh, yeah, get the NPP...got to love the on, off feature and great sound.

Last edited by rcooper; 08-01-2016 at 06:18 PM.
mlinn1967 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by jma242
Yea, you don't need to order that. The car will come with the body color painted top.
Correct. RPO CFA is the designation for the no-charge body-colored painted carbon fiber top only. FYI, availability of this top was limited for much of 2015 and 2016 production. Many people who wanted it couldn't get it due to limited availability. That problem seems to have finally been resolved.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

I'll add just a little to what others have already said.
  • If you don't go with Z51 (which is probably the right call for you), I recommend getting FE2. Not only will it give you magnetic selective ride control, it will also give you the full-width body-colored rear spoiler (just like the one on the Z51) and the 19" / 20" 10-spoke wheels (again, just like on the Z51). While there's nothing wrong with getting a car without mag ride, I find that having it greatly improves the car's dynamics.
  • If you go with FE2, the 19" / 20" 10-spoke chrome wheels ($1,995) will look great on your car. I see no need to cough up even more money for any of the accessory wheels.
  • NPP performance exhaust is a MUST.
  • Though not everyone here agrees, I recommend getting navigation. True, it's not perfect but it's very good. I wouldn't consider owning one of these cars without it.
  • As far as I'm concerned, the 5V6 Interior Enhancement Package is a complete waste of money. If you want to upgrade your mats (front and / or rear), definitely go with Lloyds Mats. They're custom made to order, can be had with your choice of GM-licensed embroidery, and of very high quality. The standard "Corvette" sill plates are great; the only thing different on the so-called "custom" ones included with 5V6 is the word "Stingray" instead of "Corvette". Likewise for the standard dash plaque.
  • Ordering the splash guards with the car is a big waste of money. You can order the very same ones from your dealer's parts department for roughly half the price and install all four yourself in 15 minutes.
  • As others have already suggested, save yourself $1,995 by going with the standard seats. They're GREAT and not quite as confining as the competition seats.
Rebel Yell (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM
mlinn1967
Racer

Regarding Navigation.....Looking on KBB.com and other places, I have not saw where Navigation is an option, it appeared to be a standard feature with the Radio pkg? Maybe I missed it....Do you know the code for that?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a C5 04 base and a C6 13 GS, Now drive a C7 14 Z51 loaded MSRP 81,500 all the options except Comp buckets.I will be picking up my AW GS Coop Aug 9th at the NCM at 10pm. I test drove the 14 with both seat and in my opinion for a daily driver the stock seats are much more confortable. NPP is a must and pulling the fuse in the trunk panel keeps the rumble going at all times!! The C7 is head and shoulders a much superior car in all aspects than the C5 or C6. The apple play that comes with the C7 lets you use the nav on you mobil devise and its great. I have it on my 16 Escalade you will love. I would suggest as others have to go find a dealer who will let you test drive a vet with both seat options to make sure you know what your getting. Either way you will be amazed with you C7!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Supraman45
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would like to add my .02 about the Performance Exhaust (NPP) - absolutely must have! I love the "bark" it gives while driving but also, you can turn it down if you want. There are times that I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Chrome wheels for sure. Your dealer can answer all of your questions including codes.
Good Luck and don't forget to post pictures..
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman45
I would like to add my .02 about the Performance Exhaust (NPP) - absolutely must have! I love the "bark" it gives while driving but also, you can turn it down if you want. There are times that I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride!
There is a reason 90% of C7s are ordered with NPP

Get notified of new replies

To Ordering 2017 Coupe - Need some advice PLEASE!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Advice on Options

Your call since it's your money. I ordered a 2016 Coupe 2LT Automatic with Z51, Navigation, PDR, MRC. If I ordered another one, I would not change a thing. Z51 provides lower rear axle, larger brakes, NPP, black painted calipers, etc, while the MRC provides an improved ride. As stated at the beginning, your call.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello ALL!
I've owned a C5 and C6 Corvette....Sold my C6 in 2010 and have been Vetteless ever since. I'm getting the itch again, and the C7 is too awesome to resist any longer. I do have a few questions before I order since I have been out of the Vette loop for a few years. Your opinions and information would be greatly appreciated!

1 - How much better is the C7 than the C6? What are the most notable differences? Will this car hold it's value as well as previous Gen Vettes?

2 - I will not be racing the car, or taking it to the track. It will be driven to work and back and maybe to an occasional car show. With that being said, I know most folks are going to say get the Z51 package...but, I really don't need to drop 80k for this car, so I'm thinking going without the Z51 and getting the 2LT with the options below. Please tell me WHY I should get the Z51, and will it be worth that much more when I go to sell it in a few years with the Z51?

Options I'm considering:
2LT
Torch Red GKZ
Adrenaline Red 70*
Automatic, 8 - Spd w/Paddle Shift M5U
Dual Roof Pkg, Color Keyed C2Q
Interior Enhancement Pkg 5V6
Brake Calipers, Red J6F
Suspension, Magnetic Selective Ride FE4
Competition Sport Bucket AE4
Splash Guards VQK
Body Color Wing Spoiler
Chrome Aluminum Q7E

Questions:
What is the code for the Body Color Wing Spoiler?

Which Chrome Aluminum wheels look the best? Not a fan of black or painted.

Are the Competition Sport Bucket seats worth the cost, and are they more or less comfortable for just daily driving?

Is the Interior Enhancement package worth the money (5V6)?

Is there a way to JUST GET THE PAINTED ROOF and not the clear roof with it, to save money?

Is there any other options I am missing that are MUST HAVES?

Thanks so much for you input!

Mark
To me, the only two "must have" options are NPP Exhaust and M7 transmission.

But, nice car btw if you order it that way. Enjoy.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Regarding Navigation.....Looking on KBB.com and other places, I have not saw where Navigation is an option, it appeared to be a standard feature with the Radio pkg? Maybe I missed it....Do you know the code for that?
Navigation is standard with 3LT, optional with 1LT and 2LT. RPO code is I06.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2017 Coupe - Need some advice PLEASE!