I drove a 757 hp C7 Callaway Corvette Z06 the other day

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM
thatcarpodcast
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove a 757 hp C7 Callaway Corvette Z06 the other day

Hey Guys,

Wanted to share some thoughts from my seat time behind the wheel of a gorgeous C7 Callaway Z06 with 757hp and 777 ft/lbs torque. I'm usually over on bimmerpost (yeah, I know...) and have never been a fan of American-made cars, but I've seen the light. After driving this car, I'm 110% sold on the Corvette Stingray and Z06 platform. If I had the cash on hand, I'd buy one yesterday!

Lastly, I'm not here to promote my podcast (don't want to be seen as spam), but it is somewhat relevant as I was very fortunate to have the one-and-only Reeves Callaway come on the show and talk about his battle stories and thoughts on the industry. Of course, the conversation quickly jumped to his cars and at the end of the interview, I asked if he could hook me up with a press car to review and he said yes!

That podcast episode should be dropping tomorrow (check it out on the website ThatCarPodcast.com) if you're interested.

Anyway, that's the back-story as to how I got the car.

Now the fun stuff!

I've copied and pasted my initial review from Reddit /cars below, but you can check out the post (should still be in top 10 posts) with a bunch of commentary from the community.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...te_z06_7speed/

My impressions below:
For starters, this brand new C7 Z06 was fully loaded with the Carbon Ceramic brakes and full aero package in addition to the Callaway SC757 package that bumps horsepower to 757 and torque to 777 without having to modify any of the LT4 engine's internals (they're already forged and quite robust). Total cost, including the car, was around $135k.
Pics: http://imgur.com/a/OhOJ5
I've driven a lot of quick cars over the past several years (C63 AMG, M3, M5, M6, Z4M, Tesla P90D, etc.), but nothing prepared me for the insanity that I experienced behind the wheel of this beast of a machine. For those of you who think you've been in a fast car, take that feeling you got, double it, and that's about what you can expect with the Callaway Z06. It's batshit crazy fast.
It's hard to put into words the sense of occasion that car generates when you commit your right foot to the floor. It's got so much torque and power that you literally feel as if your internal organs are being shoved high up in your chest cavity. It's absurd, should be illegal, but it's loads of fun.
Being a relatively light car and wearing sticky Michelin Cup 2 summer tires certainly helps as well. The shifter has incredibly short throws, yet the clutch is very forgiving and I could easily see someone daily driving the car in a warm-weather climate. We did several highway pulls and some back-road driving in 95+ degree heat with the A/C blasting and never once did the car complain or show any signs of elevated oil or water temps.
Perhaps the most impressive part was the fact that Callaway certifies the car as 50-state emissions legal and matches the full factory warranty. You can pretty much roll-up to your local Chevy dealer and order the car straight from the factory. The SC757 package costs about $17-18k, which is a pretty good deal compared to other offerings from similar performance companies.
Nothing short of a million-dollar hypercar can compare to what this thing is able to do on the road. Someone from Callaway said they raced it against a Porsche Turbo S around Summit Point and beat it by 5-seconds per lap which is pretty impressive considering the cost difference.
I'll reply to any questions you guys have in the comments below and I'll share a full video review with driving footage once I have time to upload and edit it.

Quick Reply: I drove a 757 hp C7 Callaway Corvette Z06 the other day