Sponsored by:

Bumper out of alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Car#30
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bumper out of alignment

I've had this car for over 2 years now. I've washed it, dried it, clayed it, polished it, waxed it, and detailed it many times. I know every inch of the car. I just detailed it Sunday morning and everything was fine. Today I back out of the garage and find the back bumper totally out of alignment. I'm shocked. Nobody has touched the car. No marks anywhere and it's not loose. Has anyone seen this happen or have an idea what happened to it?

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I noticed my mail box was leaning. I thought it was odd and mentioned it to the wife. That's when she fessed up to hitting it with MY truck. Just sayin'....
The following users liked this post:
ovrebo1 (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:02 PM
GrandC7
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I noticed my mail box was leaning. I thought it was odd and mentioned it to the wife. That's when she fessed up to hitting it with MY truck. Just sayin'....
If it was ok before and now it's out of kilter you can assume someone whacked it.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks like a Lime Rock Green car which was available in 2014. When the first 2014s rolled off the line, there were some complaints that the panels did not align properly.

Could this have been what rolled out of the factory in 2014?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

What does the right side look like?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Looks like a Lime Rock Green car which was available in 2014. When the first 2014s rolled off the line, there were some complaints that the panels did not align properly.

Could this have been what rolled out of the factory in 2014?
My 2014 has had a slight alignment issue since new (09/13). Guess the C7 is not hand fitted.......no biggie.......
Old 08-09-2016, 07:28 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I remember severa posts about panel alignment when the C7 first came out. The panels could shift when the car was set on the ground for the first time during assembly. Maybe there is some adjustment in he rear that a good body person could adjust out. I noticed quite a bit of panel alignment problems in the earlier cars I looked at.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a piece bolted to the rear quarter the bumper presses on and compresses on a couple red clips. Maybe one of the clips or the screw that holds it at the top came loose. If you pull the light surround you can get at the screw and it should just press back together. Worst case replace the part on the quarter like 10$

Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Something definitely popped out of place. The cause? 1. Check very close to see if anything may have hit it. 2. There might have been a clamp or screw just on the verge of popping out all along and it finally gave way.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-10-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:57 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj92GTA
There's a piece bolted to the rear quarter the bumper presses on and compresses on a couple red clips. Maybe one of the clips or the screw that holds it at the top came loose. If you pull the light surround you can get at the screw and it should just press back together. Worst case replace the part on the quarter like 10$

How difficult is it to pull the light surround? I was always of the belief that the fascia had to be removed first.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM
GrandC7
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
How difficult is it to pull the light surround? I was always of the belief that the fascia had to be removed first.
It's held on with snap clips. Just use a plastic trim panel pry tool and slowly pull it loose going around the fixture.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Car#30
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to "joemessman" for that suggestion. That was my first thought, that something came loose. While my car was not 100% it was good enough to take home a trophy for it's generation at an all Corvette show a few weeks back. I detailed the car Sunday morning and it was fine. I drove it to a car show at our local VA hospital and spent about 4 hours there. While I wasn't with the car the entire time there were no cars within 8 feet in any direction. I drove home from the car show and it was then that I noticed the bumper. It took it to my dealers body shop today and the manager and Corvette body tech came out to look at it. Together we could find no signs of any damage. The tech popped out the vent and tail light piece then popped the hatch and pulled away the gasket. There was one screw behind the tail light vent and a few along where the gasket is. They loosened the screws then pushed up on the bumper and retightened them. It looks better then it did but still not perfect and the piece behind the wheel sticks out slightly around the top. The nearest clip is about 2 inches below that so I don't know how to fix that. Here are some before and after pics plus one of the right side which appears fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Bumper out of alignment

Quick Reply: Bumper out of alignment