C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it be covered under warranty of not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Should it be covered under warranty of not?

A couple of weeks ago I decided to install a dash cam hard wire kit for my Rexxing dash cam. I also had to run a wire from front to back for the rear camera. I have nylon non-mar panel removal tools and getting the various interior panels off and back on was not a problem. The issue was getting to the fuse box under the carpet in the rear compartment. The manual says "The rear compartment fuse block is in the rear of the vehicle, under the load floor. Lift the carpet and access door in the center of the load floor to access the fuses." I wish it were that easy. There are several clips that need to be popped out as well. Well, one of the clips around the rear cubby hole on the driver's side would not budge. I was pulling straight up, and I even removed the panel of the wheel well to give me a bit more room. Well, it finally gave, and when it did, the damn tab and clip snapped right off. Looks like you have to replace the whole damn piece of carpet to the tune $250 just to replace the piece that broke. So what do think? Negligence on my behalf, or some sort of assembly defect or molding defect of the plastic piece. I called the dealer today and they said they would have to look at it before they would decide if it was covered by the warranty. You should not have to partially disassemble a car just to get at the fuse box. Grumble, grumble...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Doesn't sound like something that should be covered by warranty IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve_R:
nmvettec7 (08-18-2016), Raiderh20boy (09-02-2016), zbrett (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Doesn't sound like something that should be covered by warranty IMO.
Nope. I agree. I think you gotta own this one, OP. Sorry!

Last edited by mschuyler; 08-17-2016 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zbrett (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

If you're trying to get to the fuse box, where you replace fuses, YES it should be covered. Are you sure you followed the instruction correctly to get to the fuse box? If yes, then I don't see why this shouldn't be covered.
Of course, the installation of a camera is not covered by the warranty. So anything outside of getting to the fuse box is not covered.
zbrett (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The car is so compact, and it can be difficult to gain access to certain components, but you might be on your own with this one. Hopefully the dealership will give you a mulligan...

Last edited by sTz; 08-17-2016 at 09:23 PM.
zbrett (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Those tabs on the cubby hole bezel are very easy to snap off, you arent the first person to break one getting to the rear fusebox. If I remember there are four clips on the bezel, it should hold on just fine if you only broke one.
zbrett (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roadbike56
If you're trying to get to the fuse box, where you replace fuses, YES it should be covered. Are you sure you followed the instruction correctly to get to the fuse box? If yes, then I don't see why this shouldn't be covered.
Of course, the installation of a camera is not covered by the warranty. So anything outside of getting to the fuse box is not covered.
The verbatim instructions from the owner's manual are "The rear compartment fuse block is in the rear of the vehicle, under the load floor. Lift the carpet and access door in the center of the load floor to access the fuses."

Not much to follow
Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Please do report back on this thread and tell us the result here. I think we're all interested given the circumstances. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Let me see. You broke something trying to do something that is not normal maintenance or even trying to replace a blown fuse. If it were me, I would not even ask the dealer for warranty replacement and I would have no expectation of a warranty replacement.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Glen e (08-17-2016), Steve_R (08-17-2016), Woodson (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by kp
Those tabs on the cubby hole bezel are very easy to snap off, you arent the first person to break one getting to the rear fusebox. If I remember there are four clips on the bezel, it should hold on just fine if you only broke one.
I agree, it should be fine without it.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Let me see. You broke something trying to do something that is not normal maintenance or even trying to replace a blown fuse. If it were me, I would not even ask the dealer for warranty replacement and I would have no expectation of a warranty replacement.
I hear where you are coming from, but I don't think I should have to risk breaking stuff to get to the fuse box. It's a fuse box, not a top secret, not to be messed with, hands off part of the car. So, what is the difference if I was having an electrical issue and went to check the fuses, and the clip broke off?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I truly have mixed feelings over this.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:17 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
I hear where you are coming from, but I don't think I should have to risk breaking stuff to get to the fuse box. It's a fuse box, not a top secret, not to be messed with, hands off part of the car. So, what is the difference if I was having an electrical issue and went to check the fuses, and the clip broke off?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I truly have mixed feelings over this.
I can get to my fuse box without removing any panels. The carpet can be carefully pulled out from under the panels. The owners manual says nothing about removing any panels:

Rear Compartment Fuse Block
The rear compartment fuse block is
in the rear of the vehicle, under the
load floor. Lift the carpet and access
door in the center of the load floor to
access the fuses.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Would not hurt to ask. But IMHO this was your issue and not a malfunction from the factory.
Good luck....but 250 is not that much
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If a dealer technition broke the fastener trouble shooting an electrical problem then warranty might cover the repair (technition would probably just use remaining fasteners, cover the panel with the carpet and call it good). An owner messing with the car's electrics, don't expect warranty coverage.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:18 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Larry/car
If a dealer technition broke the fastener trouble shooting an electrical problem then warranty might cover the repair (technition would probably just use remaining fasteners, cover the panel with the carpet and call it good). An owner messing with the car's electrics, don't expect warranty coverage.
It sucks. I parked my corvette in my apartment lot like I do every weekend when I drive it around. I forgot to pull the parking pass out of the glove box....found it towed the next morning. $250.

They said they don't tow cars they recognize. BS. That yellow corvette is the nicest thing in the lot and its yellow. That thing stands out at night and I lived there for several years. My fault, yes, but don't give me a line like you are my friend trying to make me feel that you didn't have to tow it and did anyway.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I can get to my fuse box without removing any panels. The carpet can be carefully pulled out from under the panels. The owners manual says nothing about removing any panels:
Have you ever tried to get to the fuse box? No, you don't have to remove any panels, and that isn't the issue since I did not break any of the panels I removed. You do have to separate the carpet from the back storage compartment to fully expose the fuse panel, and that part is held down by clips of which one broke. I just think it is a really bad design choice.

Last edited by zbrett; 08-18-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
Would not hurt to ask. But IMHO this was your issue and not a malfunction from the factory.
Good luck....but 250 is not that much
Probably more like $400 because I'm not willing to take all the panels off in the back compartment to put the new carpet in. I don't want to risk breaking more stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Should it be covered under warranty of not?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:37 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Fact is,it would not have broken if you weren't messing with it. So,you broke it. Why would you expect GM to pay for that?Kind of like installing a supercharger,blowing your motor and expecting GM to cover it.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Fact is,it would not have broken if you weren't messing with it. So,you broke it. Why would you expect GM to pay for that?Kind of like installing a supercharger,blowing your motor and expecting GM to cover it.
With all due respect, not the same in my mind. Again, accessing a fuse panel is a normal troubleshooting / maintenance procedure. What if I had a blown fuse, or was just curious to look at the panel. There should be zero risk of breaking stuff just to get to a fuse panel. What if you opened the hood and a strut broke. Would you say that is on you because you wanted to check the oil?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
This area is supposed to be a end-user accessible area for the purpose of replacing fuses, and working in the battery compartment by the owner. That's why instructions are in the Owners Manual for doing so.

I removed the cargo floor cover in my convertible just for the sole purpose of seeing what was involved should the need ever arise. I can tell you that those clips around the in-floor storage compartment were a bear to pop out. I had to find the location of these clips from photos in prior posts here on the CF to figure out where to apply pressure. I applied silicone grease to the clips, prior to reinstall, so that future removal will be much easier.

Working very carefully I was able to remove the carpet without any damage, but it was a challenge, and was very time consuming. I would be willing to bet that anyone who has had a dealer's shop work in that area has damage to the floor panel.

It is an area that is supposed to be available to the car owner for the purpose of routine servicing, and as such, should be less prone to parts failure on just one use. It's comparable to saying, "I opened the hood to check the oil, and the hood latch broke." Should this also be not covered under warranty.

I don't get your point. The installation of an after market part was not the cause of failure. He was simply trying to get to a fuse box that is supposed to be accessible to the owner. He was not pulling the heads off the engine.

Ed

To zbrett, sorry but while I was composing a long reply you provided a brief, to the point reply that covered my thoughts in one paragraph.

Last edited by Old Yellow; 08-18-2016 at 11:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Old Yellow:
Micster (09-02-2016), Vegas1500 (09-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Should it be covered under warranty of not?