C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Dealership said my brand new 2016 Z51 worth $45k!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Keep it and buy the Z06. That's my plan.
The following users liked this post:
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:46 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I work for a GM dealership and KBB, NADA will give you a trade in value, but that value is based on you paying MSRP for a new car! So do the math, if they are taking 10k off the MSRP on the Z06, then you are going to get 10K less than what the trade in value is based on KBB and NADA. if you go to KBB and click on what KBB will buy the car for, you will see a completly different price value, thousands less than their trade in value price. Also, many people like to think their car is in excellent condition, but only 5-8% of all cars meet that, basically, show, towed cars only, if you drive your car on a public road way, it's not going to be classified as excellent condition! Maybe this sheds some light on the whole "what's my car worth thing"! Also, the auction market is the real value because if a dealership can buy a car just like yours for 45K, then why would they give you more for yours??? The reason so may new cars take such a hit when you buy and drive off the lot is the "rebate game" Anytime they rebate a new car, it kills the value of a used car in the same model. Cars that hold their value the best, are cars like Subaru's, because they do not do rebates, sure you can buy a Subaru for under sticker, but not thousands off like GM cars, and besides, Subaru's don't have lots full of left over 16's, so they don't have to rebate their cars.

Last edited by iridelow; 08-19-2016 at 08:53 AM.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

You paid $60k for a Z51 and didn't get an offer of $59.5k? I am shocked!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Team Player
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

FYI I was just recently offered $47K from a Dealer for my 2015 1LT Stingray with Navigation. 6600 miles.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 AM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
It boils down to want and need or you should have bought the ZO6 in the first place and saved some money on depreciation. I would wait to see what improvements the 2017 ZO6
will have and then decide what to do. At least it will not be a year old C7.
As much as i agree i should have when i bought mine i was like well i can do without plus it was like 15- 20 grand more. Now this one is being discounted because each dealer gets to sell one at 10% lower but they only have one and then of course the price jumps back up to around 88k. I didnt buy my car to make a profit but buying it at 62.5 and then 40 days later being offered 45k is a huge slap when i know they can sell it for 55k all day long. I just really didnt think my Vett would depreciate almost 20k in 40 days.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
If they are offering a major discount on the new Z06 they can't give you retail on your used Z51. Sell your Z51 outright if you think you can get more which you will, and just buy the Z06 from them. Done!
Never askign retail for mine but almost 20k difference in price in almost 40 days? I was expecting maybe around 5-10 but 20??? And i was thinking on selling it outright but this is one of there dealership specials so unless i can sell mine before the end of the month and pray someone doesnt buy that one is a long shot. It can be done but i think ill just have to wait on trading up.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lakemg
Your car must have 125,000 miles on it for that offer???

only has 2000 glorious miles on it sadly
Old 08-19-2016, 11:33 AM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Millerrock
I was thinking the same, at a high it's prb worth 47-48k with less than 3,000 on the clock
Only 2000 miles on it sadly. But i was thinking it would depreciate maybe 5-8grand driving it off the lot but almost 20 grand in 40 days?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisedog
Only 2000 miles on it sadly. But i was thinking it would depreciate maybe 5-8grand driving it off the lot but almost 20 grand in 40 days?
9-12K less than what you PAID is realistic if you are buying the new car at a great price. If it was 2014 it would be a different story, cant go anywhere without tripping over used C7s these days.

FWIW carmax offered me 49K for my 6 month old at the time '16 2LT with mag ride and 5K miles a couple months ago, 71K msrp. Wasnt really looking to sell, just killing time while my wife was shopping and was curious. Granted I didnt PAY 71K for the car, paid 62K, so 49K wasnt that far off.

Dealers dont sell cars at a community service, they are in it to make money. The last thing they want on their lot is a used 2016 they will have to try to sell for nearly the same as new one. People here go nuts over 80 miles on a new Corvette, imagine a couple thousand on a used one lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by kp:
cruisedog (08-19-2016), Steve_R (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I have to admire your impeccable timing. You bought a car at the very end of the model year just as they were shutting down production of that year. A few WEEKS later to take advantage of deep discounts on a pricier model you want to flip the car and you actually expect what? They're gonna give you your money back so you can buy a Z06? Thus ain't a high-demand condo.

What I see here is an impetuous impulsive buyer who has not thought the thing through. If you had your sights set on a Z06 you had to have known the 16's would go on discount as the 17's came out. And you couldn't wait 6 or 8 weeks until that happened?

Good Lord! A fool and his money are soon parted. Take responsibility for your decision. No sympathy.
Why are you rubbing your nose at me? Each situation is different for the reason why we do things that we do. Im sure i could tell you my situation and you would see why i did what i did. Im happy to be in my corvette and i dont mind keeping it. But i saw what i thought a possible opportunity to trade up and didnt think my vette would depreciate almost 20k in 40 days. I was thinking of at least around 50-55k back on it and still losing money and paying the difference. My complaint was i couldnt believe how a car could lose that much value so quickly as Vettes have always had a high resell value because its a vette! Anyways the situation would i have wished i would have waited sure but i didnt know Chevy would finaly admit the Z06 supercharger flaw and or Z06 would be discounted this cheap either.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 PM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kp
9-12K less than what you PAID is realistic if you are buying the new car at a great price. If it was 2014 it would be a different story, cant go anywhere without tripping over used C7s these days.

FWIW carmax offered me 49K for my 6 month old at the time '16 2LT with mag ride and 5K miles a couple months ago, 71K msrp. Wasnt really looking to sell, just killing time while my wife was shopping and was curious. Granted I didnt PAY 71K for the car, paid 62K, so 49K wasnt that far off.

Dealers dont sell cars at a community service, they are in it to make money. The last thing they want on their lot is a used 2016 they will have to try to sell for nearly the same as new one. People here go nuts over 80 miles on a new Corvette, imagine a couple thousand on a used one lol.

I hear ya but they still offered more for yours with more miles. Just shocking to me. But i know 80 miles it alot. I just figured id lose money but not be sunk in it as much as i am as quickly.
kp (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by iridelow
I work for a GM dealership and KBB, NADA will give you a trade in value, but that value is based on you paying MSRP for a new car! So do the math, if they are taking 10k off the MSRP on the Z06, then you are going to get 10K less than what the trade in value is based on KBB and NADA. if you go to KBB and click on what KBB will buy the car for, you will see a completly different price value, thousands less than their trade in value price. Also, many people like to think their car is in excellent condition, but only 5-8% of all cars meet that, basically, show, towed cars only, if you drive your car on a public road way, it's not going to be classified as excellent condition! Maybe this sheds some light on the whole "what's my car worth thing"! Also, the auction market is the real value because if a dealership can buy a car just like yours for 45K, then why would they give you more for yours??? The reason so may new cars take such a hit when you buy and drive off the lot is the "rebate game" Anytime they rebate a new car, it kills the value of a used car in the same model. Cars that hold their value the best, are cars like Subaru's, because they do not do rebates, sure you can buy a Subaru for under sticker, but not thousands off like GM cars, and besides, Subaru's don't have lots full of left over 16's, so they don't have to rebate their cars.
simple because they make money on the car that they're selling you as well as money in the back end (assuming you're financing the new car), they don't make that money when they buy a car from the auction.

Last edited by themonk; 08-19-2016 at 12:38 PM.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree with many of the above that Private Party sale is the way to go. Get it listed on Autotrader, cars.com and/or Craiglist at a reasonable price... It may take several weeks or so to sell (and you'll probably get a little less due to the fact that summer is almost over). But you'll get significantly more than the lowball the dealer is offering.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
If they are offering a major discount on the new Z06 they can't give you retail on your used Z51. Sell your Z51 outright if you think you can get more which you will, and just buy the Z06 from them. Done!

If your car is in good shape, a private sale will almost always get you more, including the sales tax issue, than a dealer will give you. A dealer does not want to buy a car at retail that he has to sell at retail.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
I work for a GM dealership and KBB, NADA will give you a trade in value, but that value is based on you paying MSRP for a new car! So do the math, if they are taking 10k off the MSRP on the Z06, then you are going to get 10K less than what the trade in value is based on KBB and NADA.
Any time I've traded I've negotiated the trade within $1000 or so of KBB Excellent Trade Value and paid about Invoice for the new car and this is the invoice listed on Edmunds, not the inflated invoice price the dealer wants you to believe. ...and I never get any of the BS overpriced dealer add-ons either, like tinted windows, that put extra profit in dealers pocket.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 08-19-2016 at 01:36 PM.
cruisedog (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:19 PM
cruisedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Glenmcp

If your car is in good shape, a private sale will almost always get you more, including the sales tax issue, than a dealer will give you. A dealer does not want to buy a car at retail that he has to sell at retail.
Another dealer just offered me 58k so i might take it. and just go buy the Z06 now. Wouldn't you agree there's one thing on making a profit vs being bent over a barrel wondering what just happened haha
Old 08-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Another dealer just offered me 58k so i might take it. and just go buy the Z06 now. Wouldn't you agree there's one thing on making a profit vs being bent over a barrel wondering what just happened haha
Using your numbers, you can move to a Z06 for 14.5. That sounds good to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Dealership said my brand new 2016 Z51 worth $45k!

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM
GSIRM3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds about right for a trade.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:55 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Be careful with that, they offered you 58K cash to buy your car? I wouldnt buy anything until you get the check in your hand.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kp
Be careful with that, they offered you 58K cash to buy your car? I wouldnt buy anything until you get the check in your hand.
Make that cleared the bank.

Quick Reply: Car Dealership said my brand new 2016 Z51 worth $45k!