C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Addicted to your HUD in your C7 and want it in your other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Addicted to your HUD in your C7 and want it in your other cars?

We used to sell a GPS powered HUD that was very popular but not very functional and lagged quite a bit. They were very basic and boring red digits. The manufacturer went out of business so we stopped carrying them.

Well I came across this unit about a year ago and have been using it in all my vehicles and LOVE IT! This iPhone-thin HUD unit looks very similar to the C7 HUD and it plugs into your OBD2 on any 1996 or newer vehicle. It gives you a multi-color, beautiful, large HUD with speed, volts, water temp, RPM, engine code scanner / clearer, auto on/off with ignition, self dimming with ambient light, time, distance on trip, and alerts to out of range on speed/temp/volts/check engine code.

I have these in stock and make a perfect HUD for a Corvette that doesn't have HUD or is broken (I've had a couple with broken projectors or mounts that vibrated). Great gift for friends and family. Perfect for daily driver vehicles to help be aware of your speed and other important engine parameters at all times. Check it out here for more info and pics/videos. I will be posting more soon. Installing one on a non-HUD C6 after the weekend. It should literally take a couple minutes to put the unit on the dash, install the reusable reflector, run the wire down the side of the dash and plug it in under the dash!

http://exoticvette.simdif.com/multi-color-hud-unit.html Email me or call for info / questions.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO CRAZY COWBOY'S YOUTUBE PAGE:
Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Rob#2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense, however your website display is horrible, almost to the point of not being legible. Your website designer should be fired.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Hmm... kinda cool. Batteries or does it plug in?

Originally Posted by Rob#2
No offense, however your website display is horrible, almost to the point of not being legible. Your website designer should be fired.
haha...I didn't think it was that bad, but for some reason I suddenly felt like breaking out the Fondue and watching Brady Bunch reruns.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

I got to take offense to that because I designed it myself, the website that is. I will be improving it but it's a start. I had joy learning new things and the fact is it sells regardless of the website.

The unit does not have batteries it is all powered by the vehicle
Rossi6998 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

I would be interested in your thoughts on how to improve it. If you'd like to email me or message me I would appreciate that. I'm definitely no website designer but I wanted to be nice and I enjoy doing it myself
Old 08-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy
I would be interested in your thoughts on how to improve it. If you'd like to email me or message me I would appreciate that. I'm definitely no website designer but I wanted to be nice and I enjoy doing it myself
I am a software engineer, (I also do web design), but I think the MAIN gripe point is probably the colors, font, cheap background image, and formatting.

I think the left nav menu is fine, but the fonts in the article seem large and not very well laid out.

You want a bit more contrast is the main point...

It isn't really that bad for a self designed layout, I have seen worse for sure, but it does feel a bit 1990s
Old 08-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That looks pretty spiffy!

You could check out a site like wix.com to get some ideas for web design. They make it pretty easy to put something simple and professional looking out that includes limited e-commerce.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Rob#2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
I am a software engineer, (I also do web design), but I think the MAIN gripe point is probably the colors, font, cheap background image, and formatting.

I think the left nav menu is fine, but the fonts in the article seem large and not very well laid out.

You want a bit more contrast is the main point...

It isn't really that bad for a self designed layout, I have seen worse for sure, but it does feel a bit 1990s
This pretty much sums it up in addition to;
I could not tell what the cost is within a few seconds.
There was no image displaying your product that caught my eye and made me say, let me take out my wallet and buy this for my Silverado.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Give the guy a break. SimDif is only $59.00
Old 08-26-2016, 04:20 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Doesn't sound like it doesn't do turn by turn instructions like the factory nav. What is the stumbling block with this? For example, why doesn't Google Maps in Android Auto do turn by turn in the HUD? It seems to be black magic that nobody wishes to divulge.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Old 08-26-2016, 07:00 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

This is cool! How is the display in the daytime?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Site wasn't that bad for me....anyway, here is a tip that should help your sales. There is such a thing as an OBD dual connector that allows you to put 2 or more items running into the port. I currently have my window valet and another device working simultaneously into the car's OBD. Best thing about it is the price...I paid about $6 for it on ebay....works flawlessly. Now, do I get a discount?
Crazy Cowboy (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If it could show boost or have the option for another source such as a wideband it would be very helpful.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
This is cool! How is the display in the daytime?
It's much brighter than the factory HUD in the daytime. Even with polarized glasses!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:38 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

If I don't like it, can I get a refund?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:52 PM
zone 5
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy
It's much brighter than the factory HUD in the daytime. Even with polarized glasses!
Originally Posted by TommyV
If I don't like it, can I get a refund?
Seems everyone wants to critique the website design. Its fine for what you have. Needless to say, every web site can be better, The only thing IMO that you are missing is with this HUD unit. You need more info. Anything electronic needs a bunch more explanation than you have. Maybe a PDF of the directions so we can tell what we can turn off/on on the display. Is it bluetooth or is there a cable between the unit and obd2 port? etc.

You really need pictures (video and still) of it in bright daylight. I've tried some other aftermarket HUD's and they were horrible. No offense to you, but they all claimed to be great in daylight and they weren't. I'm really looking for a decent one for one of my non HUD cars. If this truly works as well as the C7 Hud in daylight you have a major winner here. But I can't tell from the pictures.

and the same question as asked above. What is return policy?

Get notified of new replies

To Addicted to your HUD in your C7 and want it in your other cars?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

I installed this today on a C6 that had no factory heads up display. The longest part of the install was putting the tent square on the windshield in the proper place. It probably took me less than 10 minutes total. The wire runs up along the windshield dash line where you can't see it and then down the side of the dash by simply removing the trim from the doorsill and next to the where you can't see it and then down the side of the dash by simply removing the trim from the doorsill and next to the dash.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

It's been a really long day and I won't be at the shop tomorrow. I'll take more pictures and try to do a more descriptive installation procedure for you guys. I've been a vendor for over a decade and I don't sell garbage so I don't expect returns since this thing works so well. Our return policy is 20% restocking unless defective, however I'd rather make sure that you know what you're getting before you order to save us both the time and headache. I feel confident you will be happy with it. If it's an indication, I had 64 left this morning and I am down to 35. 20 of those were sold locally. The only issue that I noticed with the C6 was that the panel that covers the hole where the factory heads up display goes is a little curved and the unit is flat. It was pretty easy solution to put a trim piece in front of the unit so it looks flushed to the was that the panel that covers the hole where the factory heads up display goes is a little curved and the unit is flat. It was pretty easy solution to put a trim piece in front of the unit so it looks flushed to the dash.

if you have any questions or concerns it would probably be easiest to email me directly or you can try to call me tomorrow afternoon.The install is so very simple it just plugs into the OBD port. As some have mentioned a splitter would be a decent idea for guys running window valet, but for 99% of us we barely ever, if ever, use the port. And if we do it's a simple as unplugging it
Old 08-27-2016, 12:26 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Just below the cupholder is the battery powered wireless remote that operates the heads up display unit to select between different options and settings. It comes with a no-slip sticky pad which is under it and can be moved anywhere you like with out any residue or damage. I think it looks good there and it's in a functional place, however you can put it in the glove box or anywhere you like. You could even double-sided tape it to the dash somewhere

Quick Reply: Addicted to your HUD in your C7 and want it in your other cars?