Z51 vs non-Z51/MRC vs No-MRC

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:36 PM
vgcmd1962
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 vs non-Z51/MRC vs No-MRC

Hi Forum!
Need your help in answering my questions. I own a gorgeous 2015 3LT Stingray with Z51 and MRC. I also own a bad back and not unless I drive with "touring mode" I cannot enjoy the car, but even in Touring mode it can't be a daily driver, which is what I want it to be because I love my car. Been doing a lot of reading on the Vette and several owners state that the suspension is softer in a "non-Z51/no MRC and a more comfortable ride as compared to the Z51-MRC package. Is that true? Also, if I purchase a base stingray with the performance exhaust option, will I still be able to switch between touring, sport, weather, and Eco modes or does the car have to come with MRC to enjoy those different driving modes?

Last edited by vgcmd1962; 08-28-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

In for the discussion, as I'm considering same on a C7 purchase......
Old 08-29-2016, 12:05 AM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I own a 1lt without magnetic ride control. and yes you still have the mode select option.
The following users liked this post:
vgcmd1962 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

It depends upon what you want to enjoy with the driving modes: it won't adjust the suspension - you need MRSC to do so; but it will adjust steering effort, exhaust tone, traction control, throttle response.
The suspension on the base car without MSRC is quite a bit softer than Z51, especially w/o MSRC.
The following 2 users liked this post by LIStingray:
vgcmd1962 (08-30-2016), Woodson (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I have a Z51 with MRC and I recently drove a non-Z51 (with Z51 appearance package) and no MRC.

I'd say Touring mode in my car is very close to the other car. Perhaps with the smaller wheels the non-Z51 would be a touch softer.

Being an owner of a C7, you could probably go to a dealer and test drive a non-Z51.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:43 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Before you jump off the bridge, consider tire choices.

The Z51 comes with MPSS Run Flats. This is a compromise tire that will function OK on the street and on the track, but not great in either role.

For a street-only car, replacing this with a softer sidewall high performance tire can greatly reduce ride harshness without significantly reducing "real-world" handling.

This is about a $1500 change... if it doesn't meet your needs, you won't be too far in the hole.
vgcmd1962 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 04:16 AM
vgcmd1962
Cruising

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I have a Z51 with MRC and I recently drove a non-Z51 (with Z51 appearance package) and no MRC.

I'd say Touring mode in my car is very close to the other car. Perhaps with the smaller wheels the non-Z51 would be a touch softer.

Being an owner of a C7, you could probably go to a dealer and test drive a non-Z51.
Thank you for your input! What you say is inline with what I read. So if one is a street driver and doesn't go to the track, safe to say Z51 package not necessary?
Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 AM
vgcmd1962
Cruising

Originally Posted by kc stingray
I own a 1lt without magnetic ride control. and yes you still have the mode select option.
How do you consider your suspension? Do you have a manual transmission?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The MR cars springs are about 35% softer than non-MR. It uses the shocks to compensate for lower rate as well as a monster rear stab bar. A non-MR car is certainly stiffer than the MR. I wouldn't even waste your time.

The mode select in a Non-MR car has no bearing on ride. It's strictly different throttle mapping, exhaust(if linked to drive mode), steering(if linked to drive mode), and gauge configuration(if linked to drive mode), and traction/stability control.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by vgcmd1962
Hi Forum!
Need your help in answering my questions. I own a gorgeous 2015 3LT Stingray with Z51 and MRC. I also own a bad back and not unless I drive with "touring mode" I cannot enjoy the car, but even in Touring mode it can't be a daily driver, which is what I want it to be because I love my car. Been doing a lot of reading on the Vette and several owners state that the suspension is softer in a "non-Z51/no MRC and a more comfortable ride as compared to the Z51-MRC package. Is that true? Also, if I purchase a base stingray with the performance exhaust option, will I still be able to switch between touring, sport, weather, and Eco modes or does the car have to come with MRC to enjoy those different driving modes?
First, GM rates the "softness" of the suspension as 1) Base car softest, 2) Z51 with MRC set at Touring 3) Z51 without MRC, 4) Z51 with MRC set at Sport then 5) MRC set at Track. One owner when set at Track said you could feel it go over a dime!

FWIW my Z51 non MRC but 45 mm vs 36 mm Bilstein shocks the stiffer Z51 springs, stiffer front sway bar then the base car and added rear sway bar (which the base car does not have) could not tell if it went over a quarter!

Some advocates of MRC make it sound like magic and that it can offset stiffer springs and stiffer/added sway bars-it can't! It can and definitely makes it stiffer in Sport and Track!

That said, have not seen definitive info on the softness of the base car with and without MRC. Assume it would be somewhat softer with MRC set at Touring but not sure how detectable. They key is the quality of the roads you travel on. In our flat, mostly good roads in Eastern SC it would not be a big difference, IMO. It no doubt would be better on a washboard road, which is what some post a video on an older Vette. Even using the Z51 "look alike" package with the lower profile tires is going in the direction of a "stiffer ride."

With my Z51 without MRC "I enjoy the benefits of the different modes," in: 1) steering feel, 2) throttle control, 3) NPP sound variations and 4) amount of traction control" - but the ride is always the same! I'm mostly in Sport.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-30-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 215 Posts

Hi Forum!
I have a "base" 2LT A8. It rides great; I don't have any experience with the Z51 and various configurations.
I think a lot has to do with wheel diameter - I have 18/19s vs. the Z51 19/20s.
These have to make as big of a difference in ride feel /harshness as the run flat construction.
To help with curves I did put the Z51 sway bars on because of the lack of a rear on the base model. This doesn't affect the daily driving except when I use it on enthusiastic turns - straight line they are invisible.
I drive mostly in Touring mode.
I am considering a track day at the end od Sept. when I will use Sport and Track settings. I know those sway bars will be a benefit that day.

Last edited by mtaxman; 08-30-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Thank you for your input! What you say is inline with what I read. So if one is a street driver and doesn't go to the track, safe to say Z51 package not necessary?
Lots of threads have debated this very point at length. I would say for regular street driving Z51 is definitely NOT needed. MRC is a nice to have and I would highly recommend on the street if you have Z51 if you like a smoother ride or drive on rough roads.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I have back pain and have owned and daily drove a 2014 non-z51 (no MRC) for a year and I have owned this '16 Non-Z51 with MRC for around a year now. Plus I have driven several non-MRC and MRC Z51s.

The non-z51 with mrc to ME is more tolerable than the non z-51 without it. Its not really 'softer' but it is much more controlled, especially on dips on the highway that would feel like a knife in my back on the upside. The shocks dont just get stiffer or softer in one setting or the other, they do a lot more many times a second. Perhaps not magic but close enough.

Since you already have an MRC Z51 I dont think you will happy with a non-Z51 with or without mrc. My biggest issue is getting in and out of the car sometimes, once I'm in even in sport mode its not a big deal - until I have to get out.

Tires will make some difference, instead of buying a new car I would find some repro 18/19" Z51 wheels an put some non-runflat all seasons on them and run the air pressure on the low side. That will be the best you can get unless you start swapping suspension components around. Corvette is a lightweight sports car and although some say a base C7 rides like a Buick, that is not true at all.

Depends what you are sensitive to as well, a friend of mine feels every bump and pebble in the road and it hurts him, me is the larger up and down suspension movements that get to me after a while. Its more that just suspension harshness too. My truck - drives like a truck - doesnt bother me much at all. But the huge cabin, pedal/steering wheel position and living room couch-like front seat and I can drive it all day even though it has the HD towing suspension and 20" tires.

But to answer your other question the 'mode' **** will still control the steering, exhaust (if you buy NPP naturally) and the throttle/auto trans mapping.

Good luck, back pain sucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by kp:
fdxpilot (09-06-2016), vgcmd1962 (09-03-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

There are quite a few threads on this... I've chimed in a few times, as one of the few who can authoritatively speak to this.

Short answer is definitely there is a significant difference. The coupe is more than capable, but is far softer across the board.

We bought the wife's '14 in June 2014, picked it up at the Museum, and drove nearly 4500 miles across country bringing it home. I drove it a lot on short and long drives, and it now has nearly 30,000 miles.

I bought my '16 Z51 MRC in September of last year, and again picked it up from the Museum and drove across country, a little over 4500 miles. Mine now has over 16,000 miles. I veto a lot of seat time in both.

Z51 in the softest mode is still far more firm than the coupe in the stiffest mode.
vgcmd1962 (09-03-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Base car without Z51 or MRC and non runflat tires in 18/19 sizes will provide the "softest" ride. This is what I drive and I find it perfectly acceptable for road trips and cruising.
vgcmd1962 (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:43 PM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

How do you consider your suspension? Do you have a manual transmission?
my 1lt is an a8. I would consider my suspension comfortable for a sports car. I do not daily drive the car, but you could if wanted too and will not beat you up.
vgcmd1962 (09-03-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi Forum!
My guess is just like the others in that I would change to non run flat tires and especially different than Michelin brand !!! I have a 2013 buick La crosse with Michelin tires and I think they are rough riding and they are non run flat !!! To me the tire companies have gone to stiffer tires to reach their tire mileage warranties !!! Perhaps you can get a ride in C 7 that already has non run flats on the car !! If you don't belong to a club maybe you can find someone at a car show that would give you a ride !!!! Wayne
vgcmd1962 (09-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 vs non-Z51/MRC vs No-MRC

Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

The Z51 (with or without the MAG suspension) was too stiff a ride for my street/city driving..

I went with a base car 2LT WITH the adjustable MAG suspension...
Also changed out the run flats to Continental DWS all seasons..
PERFECT!
vgcmd1962 (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 06:42 PM
vgcmd1962
Cruising

You changed to another car? Did you lose $ by doing that? Your new car did come with the magnetic ride suspension? I've kind of lost hope. I love this car but the stiff ride is killing my back.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 AM
vgcmd1962
Cruising

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Before you jump off the bridge, consider tire choices.

The Z51 comes with MPSS Run Flats. This is a compromise tire that will function OK on the street and on the track, but not great in either role.

For a street-only car, replacing this with a softer sidewall high performance tire can greatly reduce ride harshness without significantly reducing "real-world" handling.

This is about a $1500 change... if it doesn't meet your needs, you won't be too far in the hole.

Which tires do you recommend?

Quick Reply: Z51 vs non-Z51/MRC vs No-MRC