C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end failure using Launch Control at Drag Strip!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:29 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by springer-
I hate to call people out on their post and I really don't like to argue BUT I have to disagree. He is a total douche.
My apologies sir for posting misleading or incorrect information.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

So you guys think my videos don't provide any benefit to the forum??? It's FREE content that helps and informs people and the minuscule amount of add revenue is nothing compared to the time I put into filming, editing and producing a weekly video! I make them for those that do enjoy it and appreciate their support but its not worth it if its considered "spam" on here.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

That's not what we are saying. You posting videos of whatever you want I'm sure helps some people. It's the repeated begging for subscriptions that's getting old.

I'm glad you got your car fixed, and so quickly.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

its in neutral bro
Old 09-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
So you guys think my videos don't provide any benefit to the forum??? It's FREE content that helps and informs people and the minuscule amount of add revenue is nothing compared to the time I put into filming, editing and producing a weekly video! I make them for those that do enjoy it and appreciate their support but its not worth it if its considered "spam" on here.
I think there could be some benefit to your videos, but I've been bothered by your tendency to make unsubstantiated claims about products based purely upon your opinion, or something that you've read in some company's marketing material. I don't think you have the credentials to make some of the claims that you do.

Having said that, I think you could add value and be more credible by saying things like "I'm by no means an expert, but I like this product because . . . "
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm sorry that's your impression.

I try to represent multiple sides of every question as a scientist by training, but obviously, you have a different perception for whatever reasons. Yes, I've often questioned certain claims made on this forum, but not because I'm claiming to know THE answer. I'm usually simply trying to say, we don't necessarily know the answer.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-08-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Your emphasis on "It's FREE content" seems like you've been reading some pitches on "how to make money as a YouTube blogger while providing FREE content that people are desperate to consume".

If you weren't constantly pitching it wouldn't seem so spammy.

Your use of the clickbait cliffhanger "was shocked when this happened!!!" in your opening post is kind of obnoxious and inures exactly to the point of why I said that in retrospect all your posts in this thread seem like spam.

Maybe too there would be less criticism if your sig copied below wasn't so pitch-heavy.

Originally Posted by C7s
Check out my story!!! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ngray-z51.html
Follow Me on Instagram @carguy_11
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CarGuy11C7

Users here expect some commercial traffic by paid sponsors. In fact some of us welcome that traffic from time to time when we're looking for ways to waste money on our Corvettes. But after that, users expect to interact with each other in a relatively legitimate way. When somebody comes on with the clickbait and constant pitches for subscription it seems pretty harsh. This thread for example echoes many "help me with these big problems with my Corvette" threads, but yours is the only one that is a constant pitch for subscriptions to your youtube channels. I'm pretty sure I didn't sign up for corvetteforum.com so it could be a front end for getting me to sign up to users' youtube channels. I'll bet nobody else signed up for that reason either. The constant pitches for youtube traffic make it seem like you are pretending to be a user but you're really exploiting the people who frequent these forums.

Anyway, did you need any help or advice with your blown clutch, tranny or diff? Because lots of folks here are happy to help with advice, commiseration, etc. And don't forget that it's thoughtful and respectful to post what the problem turned out to be and what the fix was, how the dealer or GM treated you, etc. That way we all learn from each other's experience which can be especially helpful if we end up facing the same situation. If we have to subscribe to your youtube channel to "participate" in the conversation, well heck that just seems like we're being exploited.

Peace out.
The following 4 users liked this post by driver9:
Foosh (09-08-2016), Jmcdude (09-16-2016), Skidplate (09-09-2016), Woodson (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:47 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Anyone familiar with YouTube knows everyone plugs their own channel and asks for subs because the number of subscribers is a channels most important metric. Perhaps I have been pitching it too much but I have been a member of this forum way before I started YouTube and have contributed much over the years. I believe the YouTube videos take that to another level. Most enjoy the videos and appreciate them.

As far as this thread. My main goal was to see if this was a common occurrence or a defective part. I have found with the help of form members and YouTube/Instagram comments it is more common than I thought. That is why I love forums and social media and having the support of lots of people. I apologize if my post did not seem genuine.
Foosh (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Anyone familiar with YouTube knows everyone plugs their own channel and asks for subs because the number of subscribers is a channels most important metric. Perhaps I have been pitching it too much but I have been a member of this forum way before I started YouTube and have contributed much over the years. I believe the YouTube videos take that to another level. Most enjoy the videos and appreciate them.

As far as this thread. My main goal was to see if this was a common occurrence or a defective part. I have found with the help of form members and YouTube/Instagram comments it is more common than I thought. That is why I love forums and social media and having the support of lots of people. I apologize if my post did not seem genuine.
And I apologize if I'm being overly critical.

I'm glad you're a legit user.

Cut us some slack on the youtube/social media pitches.

And yes it seems like launch control has caused plenty of problems. I'll never engage mine. I'd rather just use the clutch and throttle like God intended.
The following 2 users liked this post by driver9:
C7s (09-08-2016), Foosh (09-08-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 05:07 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Posted my update video today!

The following 3 users liked this post by C7s:
driver9 (09-10-2016), PegasusCapital (09-16-2016), phantom1 (09-10-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

That sucks, hopefully everything works out. Figured the front page would want to hear this cautionary tale too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-stock-c7-z51/
Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I agree the 500 RPM probably wouldn't matter but until it stabilizes the launch control hasn't taken over so the important part was the torque/slip management portion of launch control wasn't active allowing you to basically do a full power launch at that RPM.

The other place where launch control can get you into trouble is if you initially launch with launch control working then back out for an instant before going back to full throttle. When you back out launch control disengages and then when you go back to full throttle it does NOT re-engage so you will suddenly have unexpected levels of wheel spin which can easily lead to loss of control.

Need to put it down and let stabilize BEFORE releasing the clutch. My Z06 is A8 but used the launch control in the ZR1 manual many times. Put the petal down, let stabilize and prepare to be launched from a sling shot..
Old 09-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I have seen several reports of similar failures people have had with launch control, all of which occurred on M7 transmissions. Makes me wonder if the A8 also is susceptible to this type of failure or if it's unique to the M7 due to the higher revs.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymbow
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I have seen several reports of similar failures people have had with launch control, all of which occurred on M7 transmissions. Makes me wonder if the A8 also is susceptible to this type of failure or if it's unique to the M7 due to the higher revs.
You cannot produce the drivetrain shock with a automatic trans compared to a manual trans. Almost no drivetrain shock with the automatic preloaded against the brake. Now a neutral rev and then put in drive is the only way to come close to a very fast clutch release with some RPM on a manual.
Gymbow (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymbow
Everyone with an A8 let's try it and post the results
sabasigh (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome to the eLSD system on the Z51. Breaking rear ends at the track all the time...

Just curious how many times did you launch your car at the track before this happened? Regular launch or Launch control...total?

Last edited by CDH76; 09-16-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end failure using Launch Control at Drag Strip!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Yeah, that sucks for sure, hope GM covers that under warranty since it was at the drags.

Also, was wondering why he wasn't wearing a helmet and why he was wearing shorts at the drags. NHRA rules are rather specific about things you need to wear when drag racing on a track and I'm pretty sure that C7 goes faster than a 13.99 ET. Crazy that you would race or that they would let you race without a helmet.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

The date is wrong, this is my 2016.

Launch control in a A8

Last edited by Mobil 1; 09-16-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

I am sorry about your situation and hope all works out. The first two video's definitely did not have launch control engage. Whether it be manual or auto doesn't matter, Launch Control provides you with that signature RPM settling once you mash the peddle. It goes up and then lowers settling in. It is very obvious and the only way you know Launch is working. Once Launch works properly, there are a ton of computer controls that kick in to help you along.

I have done launch no less than 20 times while impressing friends (scaring the crap out of them actually) but I am not an expert though and it would be great if one could chime in as, at least I feel, this settling is so important.

Last edited by AllFlash; 09-17-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear end failure using Launch Control at Drag Strip!