C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Q&A with Corvette Team Members, Plant Management (Aug/Sept 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

thanks Jeremy! Well done, did you remember to thank them for those of us that have no issues with our cars? Hope so.
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (09-08-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:12 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Player
Very nicely done indeed, but with no real answers and the typical GM double talk and denial of issues.
Corvette does not owe you any particular insight into its plans or issues. For the life of me I do not understand why you are still here. If GM is so bad in your eyes, why not dump the vette and go pester some other brand? You've never said anything positive in all your many incarnations, jut a Negative Nelly who has zero solutions. It's tiresome. Ignored.
The following 5 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Gymbow (09-06-2016), jagamajajaran (09-08-2016), robertbruce (09-13-2016), vettetwo (09-06-2016), Woodson (09-10-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Thank you very much for writing down all this info!

I am a bit confused regarding spring rates:

Looks like on some cars, the front can be in 500s while rear can get to 900+ lbs/in spring rate? I've never heard of 900+ rates on a stock Corvette. Moreover, I've never heard of much-higher rear spring rates on a GT car (front engine), either.

FYI, my LG G2 coilovers are produced at 750 lbs/in front, 700 lbs/in rear, at 1.07:1 ratio, incidentally identical to Z07 ratio, which is the only one that is higher at front.

Last edited by X25; 09-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 AM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the idea of blind spot monitoring although I've learned to use my mirrors pretty effectively now but it was a real problem at first.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
Some people are never even remotely pleased. The answers were all very sincere and there definitely were acknowledgement of owner requests with hope for change and other reasons easily understood.
Yes.... and No.

Granted, legally and confidentially they can't talk about certain things.

If they said a part was bad, it would need to be recalled. The problem is two fold, one people ask questions they know can't be answered. Two, the GM people "try to answer" them without sounding like jerks, but still sound like jerks.

It's sometimes just easier to not ask the question.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Since my question about how they plan to deal with intake valve coking wasn't included and that they claim a catch can isn't needed indicates that they are officially in denial.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Team Player
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Thanks Jeremy for this effort.

I'm a little surprised that they could not find an 'appealing' solution to including a 'blind spot' mirror(s). I suspect it has more to do with economics. My DD '14 Taurus has them and are nice although not actually required if the mirror are adjusted properly. With my C7's mirrors a little smaller than the Taurus I can understand how some would like to have them on a C7, even properly adjusted. Me included.

S
More GM double talk. Nothing wrong with the way that looks what the real answer is it would cost us a $1 a car more to add that and cut into our bottom line.

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Since my question about how they plan to deal with intake valve coking wasn't included and that they claim a catch can isn't needed indicates that they are officially in denial.
They are it's obvious by the statements made. They must think the customer is really stupid. I'm sure they have grown to hate these forums because they showcase the mistakes and engineering flaws they make.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-07-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The forum members here hold GM's engineers feet to the fire pretty good. I think that is a plus for consumers. Overall they eventually have to respond one way or the other. One of the greatest benefits of the Internet is that consumers now have a huge advantage over the way it was before the Internet. There was no way we could communicate effectively with each other as consumers and users before. Overall I it has forced companies to upgrade their production and service quality. They know that they are now held accountable for their products and services. If they perform poorly it is immediately broadcasted throughout the Internet. How they deal with this also paints a picture of what they really are at their core. No more pulling the wool over consumers eyes.
The following 4 users liked this post by joemessman:
jagamajajaran (09-08-2016), Skid Row Joe (09-07-2016), Team Player (09-07-2016), vettetwo (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

You answered your own criticism. The question was not asked.

This Forum has several avenues of contact with Corvette Engineers. This opportunity was one of them and no one asked that specific question.

We have regular "Ask Tadge" opportunities where that specific question can be formulated and voted on by the membership. Tadge has been sincere in response to all of the questions asked of him. The question must be constructed in a manner so as not to be threatening of condescending, but respectful of his position and the opportunity he extends to us.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Thanks Jeremy for this effort.

I'm a little surprised that they could not find an 'appealing' solution to including a 'blind spot' mirror(s). I suspect it has more to do with economics. My DD '14 Taurus has them and are nice although not actually required if the mirror are adjusted properly.
Are your mirrors adjusted properly. This was brought up in OT, apparently the SAE revised mirror settings back in the 90's.

I readjusted my Jeep mirrors to the SAE recommendation which resulted in no blind spots. It's takes a lot of getting use to!!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

More GM double talk. Nothing wrong with the way that looks what the real answer is it would cost us a $1 a car more to add that and cut into our bottom line.
The two pictures of rear view mirrors are misleading. As CrabbyJ stated, the C7 mirrors are smaller than the Taurus mirrors shown in the comparison. The C7 mirrors are smaller than C6 and take some time to be accustomed to when driving. If a blind side mirror were added to the existing size, it would take away essential regular mirror real-estate and be too small to be of any value.

If the C7 mirror were made larger to accommodate a blind-side mirror, it would spoil the aerodynamics of the car. The Corvette, after all, is designed for performance, not frivolous add-ons in the production version.

If you want truck sized mirrors, add them after you take the car home.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettetwo:
CRABBYJ (09-10-2016), jagamajajaran (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Were it available, an actual text of the Q & A session, or even a video tape would really be helpful, as regards to the completeness of the actual dialogue that took place. So as not to misinterpret the event, in terms of actual words spoken. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rramjet
I like the idea of blind spot monitoring although I've learned to use my mirrors pretty effectively now but it was a real problem at first.
My mirrors are setup correctly in my C250 coupe, I also have the BSA option.

While the mirrors address most of the situations, the added reassurance of the BSA is very nice to have. One of the situations which happened this past week was while changing lanes, my mirrors told me no one was there and as I came over, BSA started beeping (WTF!!!), I look in my mirror and some tool bag is trying to come over from the 3rd lane. I quickly went back in my lane and all is good now.

I love my C250, lots of little goodies in the car, but BSA is probably my favorite option (along with the suede seats)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very good recap of your meeting - thanks for all the valuable info.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The two pictures of rear view mirrors are misleading. As CrabbyJ stated, the C7 mirrors are smaller than the Taurus mirrors shown in the comparison. The C7 mirrors are smaller than C6 and take some time to be accustomed to when driving. If a blind side mirror were added to the existing size, it would take away essential regular mirror real-estate and be too small to be of any value.

If the C7 mirror were made larger to accommodate a blind-side mirror, it would spoil the aerodynamics of the car. The Corvette, after all, is designed for performance, not frivolous add-ons in the production version.

If you want truck sized mirrors, add them after you take the car home.
This is how Infiniti does it, it is mounted inside the car. No enlarged mirror needed

I believe this is how MB does it now. For my 2013 C250 coupe, it is on the mirror and not in the dash (at least I don't think it is displayed since I usually only track travel time)
https://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com...st/detail.html

Last edited by Larry M; 09-07-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

- Automatic PDR operation option
TEAM MEMBER COMMENT - The main issue with this is the legal ramifications of recording audio of someone in the car without that person knowing they are being recorded.
will those that have access to asking these questions directly... please ask more specifically?

Before my offering of the phrasing of the followup question I'd like to be asked....

recording a person without consent:
a. if the person isn't in view of the camera (not in the frame) is there still a "legal ramification"?
Yes, but only because the audio is being recorded as well.

b. if the person isn't in view of the camera (not in the frame), and the audio has been disabled in this "auto-record" mode.... is there still a "legal ramification"?
No

It seems the answers to these PDR questions are often skirted around.

If auto-record automatically squelches the audio recording... then the legalities become moot.

I am seriously thinking that since GM contracted the PDR software out, they would have to pay Cosworth to add this "legal" auto-record mode... (GM probably doesn't own the source code, couldn't do it in-house anyways)...and they just don't want to spend the money. And that's fine if it's the case. I just wish we'd get a straight answer.

I know some are thinking this shouldn't be a big deal; but hey... I'm just trying to get some use out of a system that was bundled with the NAV system (like many, I wanted the $800 NAV option initially; not the PDR. Months after the order was accepted, then to be told it's changed, now to include the PDR... new price of both combined: $1700).

If it had a traffic cam auto-record mode (which I could use)... it would be a lot easier to swallow the $1700 price paid.

My suggestion for asking this question again:

"PDR; can an auto-record mode be added, understanding that it won't record the audio portion while operating in this mode... thus negating any of the legal concerns?"

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 09-07-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:15 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks Jeremy!

Get notified of new replies

To My Q&A with Corvette Team Members, Plant Management (Aug/Sept 2016)

Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,515 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Gymbow
One question I forgot to include for your visit, which I hope you can find an answer to is:

What is the part # for the new transparent roof top for coupes built from late 2015 onward and when will they be available to purchase? These are supposed to have the new hardware to eliminate noise issues on the earlier version.
I'll see what I can find out. You might want to check with Gene at Cultrag.

Originally Posted by conlaurant
If not, is there something else GM uses for photo purposes or photoshop?
I'm not sure, but it may be a rendering.

Originally Posted by rcooper
thanks Jeremy! Well done, did you remember to thank them for those of us that have no issues with our cars? Hope so.
I certainly did. They enjoyed the positive feedback (I provided several quotes for them).

I actually did ask the question. The team member that answered this for me indicated that he was unaware of any coking issues.

They must think the customer is really stupid. I'm sure they have grown to hate these forums because they showcase the mistakes and engineering flaws they make.
Incorrect. They want the car to be the very best that it can be and they want the feedback from owners. What forums tend to do is over-showcase any issues that some Corvettes may develop.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Were it available, an actual text of the Q & A session, or even a video tape would really be helpful, as regards to the completeness of the actual dialogue that took place. So as not to misinterpret the event, in terms of actual words spoken. Thanks!
Most of the time, I just take notes. The responses came from a variety of team members over the course of two separate events (Corvettes at Carlisle and the NCM's 22nd Anniversary Celebration).

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
will those that have access to asking these questions directly... please ask more specifically?

Before my offering of the phrasing of the followup question I'd like to be asked....

recording a person without consent:
a. if the person isn't in view of the camera (not in the frame) is there still a "legal ramification"?
Yes, but only because the audio is being recorded as well.

b. if the person isn't in view of the camera (not in the frame), and the audio has been disabled in this "auto-record" mode.... is there still a "legal ramification"?
No

It seems the answers to these PDR questions are often skirted around.

If auto-record automatically squelches the audio recording... then the legalities become moot.

I am seriously thinking that since GM contracted the PDR software out, they would have to pay Cosworth to add this "legal" auto-record mode... (GM probably doesn't own the source code, couldn't do it in-house anyways)...and they just don't want to spend the money. And that's fine if it's the case. I just wish we'd get a straight answer.

I know some are thinking this shouldn't be a big deal; but hey... I'm just trying to get some use out of a system that was bundled with the NAV system (like many, I wanted the $800 NAV option initially; not the PDR. Months after the order was accepted, then to be told it's changed, now to include the PDR... new price of both combined: $1700).

If it had a traffic cam auto-record mode (which I could use)... it would be a lot easier to swallow the $1700 price paid.

My suggestion for asking this question again:

"PDR; can an auto-record mode be added, understanding that it won't record the audio portion while operating in this mode... thus negating any of the legal concerns?"

Thanks for the post. There is a new PDR function for 2017 models that allows you to turn off the audio recording. I would think the system could be started up this way automatically if they wanted to engineer it that way.
The following 3 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
Gymbow (09-09-2016), joemessman (09-08-2016), vettetwo (09-08-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:38 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Thank you very much for writing down all this info!

I am a bit confused regarding spring rates:

Looks like on some cars, the front can be in 500s while rear can get to 900+ lbs/in spring rate? I've never heard of 900+ rates on a stock Corvette. Moreover, I've never heard of much-higher rear spring rates on a GT car (front engine), either.

FYI, my LG G2 coilovers are produced at 750 lbs/in front, 700 lbs/in rear, at 1.07:1 ratio, incidentally identical to Z07 ratio, which is the only one that is higher at front.
I am not surprised. To me, the only Corvette ever produced with high enough springs rates is the Z06 Z07. It's totally worth the cost just for that. Even the Grand Sport gets the soft front spring rate.

For everyone else there is understeer and body roll to keep things cushy and safe. I'm sure the GS is easier to drive but I also think it left some performance on the table by not getting the stiffer front leaf.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I am not surprised. To me, the only Corvette ever produced with high enough springs rates is the Z06 Z07. It's totally worth the cost just for that. Even the Grand Sport gets the soft front spring rate.

For everyone else there is understeer and body roll to keep things cushy and safe. I'm sure the GS is easier to drive but I also think it left some performance on the table by not getting the stiffer front leaf.
I'm sincerely hoping they just forgot to add the Z07 spring to the table for GS with Z07 option. It'd be bizarre otherwise.

I've tried my Z51 with stock FE3 springs but with T1 shocks and 315 front tires today; it leaned a bit too much at the track, felt a bit like boat and it seems tires went up as much as 3"(!) towards fender, rubbing its inside. In short, traction overwhelmed the setup, especially up front. It felt like it needed twice the spring rate. Anyway, will try the coilovers next week : )

I will always wonder how a proper setup with a good set of coilovers compare to magnetic (Z07); it becomes hard to guess. People made big gains when they switched to coilovers from C6 Z07, but C7 config might be better.

Quick Reply: My Q&A with Corvette Team Members, Plant Management (Aug/Sept 2016)