Sponsored by:

FOB 1 vs FOB 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:52 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS

The fun came driving home 1500 miles with one FOB in my pocket, the other in a duffel in the hatch area. The computer was so confused. It would chime and honk seemingly randomly every time I got out of the car to warn me there was a FOB inside the car. Memory recall would randomly pick up one of the two FOBs and often just fail to recall. All that got sorted when I got home and put the second FOB inside the house.
My wife carries her FOB in her purse all the time, so when we both get in the car, the same confusion occurs as what you said. When we picked up our car at the NCM the guide told my wife to put her FOB in an Altoids can so the car can't see it at the same time as mine.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Hmm, can't be a gentleman and open the door and let her in first! Then the car thinks she's the driver!

In my case, the wife won't ride in the Vette unless I open her door and most important, since I make sure it is open fully so she clearly misses the side skirt, that I close it! She doesn't want to reach for the fully opened door!

My benefit is she doesn't have a key and doesn't drive the Vette! Oh she can drive a stick but feels if she put a scratch on the car I would get very mad! She's right! Works for me, although I keep trying to get her to use it at least once so if every needed she can deal with the clutch etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-08-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 AM
alexsoo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1 and 4

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Interesting! Never would have looked for it there!

I have a 1LT (no memory anything) and have a #1 and #2 in the FOBs. Been using the #1 all along and didn't know it, but it doesn't matter anyway.
I got a #1 and #4 on 1LT.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

This thread reminds me of:

The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 12:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by alexsoo
I got a #1 and #4 on 1LT.
Hmm, maybe they now have a 4 cavity die!
Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
This is what I was told during museum delivery: The FOBs aren't (I think) distinguished by the little number. There's a big colored circle at the end of the FOB. For me at least that circle is yellow on one FOB, green on the other. There shouldn't be any need to mark or guess which FOB is which.
I believe the museum put those dots on there. They are just stickers.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:01 PM
JaxC7
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, my fob has a 4 on the key portion so I'm assuming this really has nothing to do with Driver 1 and 2.

For the folks that were asking, my 2LT Z51 displays the driver's fob number in the DIC area when the car is started. We had issues right after we got the car getting the memory seats programmed until I had my wife take her fob into the house, out of range of the car. I programmed mine and then put my fob inside while she programmed hers. The memory seats work perfectly now for each of us.

I still have an issue when we're both in the car. Occasionally it will pick up my wife's fob from her purse on the passenger side floor rather than my fob from my pants pocket right under the steering column. I'll start the car and immediately the seats will attempt to move to her position which is WAY too close and I have to quickly hit the memory buttons to abort and select my seat position. When this happens, the DIC is clearly showing the driver as fob 2 which is my wife's number.

We have the same problem when both our phones are in the car. Occasionally the Infotainment system will pair to her phone rather than mine.

Both issues are nothing more than a nuisance and only happen intermittently.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:21 PM
KGoodwin
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This discussion begs the question, with two key fobs near the car how do you command the car to recognize one key fob over the other. On the C5 all you had to do was push memory position # 1 or # 2. If the GS grabs key fob # 2, how do you tell it switch over to key fob # 1 and vice versa? It is stupid as h--- for the wife have to stand away from the car while I get into HER GS. This is predicated on the fact that the wife always has the fob on her possession (read as pocketbook) whereas I only have my fob when I am about to drive HER car (which is usually just to the gas station - lol). The Bluetooth connection is another design deficiency. When I am driving the GS and she is in the C5 following me, as her phone goes in and out of range I get a chime telling me of exactly what I don't need to know. No way to disable other than to have her turn off her Bluetooth. You would think GM would tie the Bluetooth connectivity to the one driving the car - fob # 1 or fob # 2 but instead it is tied whoever cell's signal gets to the car first. This is made worse by the wife never turning off her Bluetooth (My Chevrolet app) whereas her **** engineering husband worries about security and smartphone battery life. I can easily make this a NTSB safety issue since if her fob grabs the GS first, the drivers seat moves to a position that could break my knee caps (she is 5' and I am 6').

Last edited by KGoodwin; 08-14-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Um... We all have keys to the corvettes! What do you mean "There isn't a key"? My 2014 has a key as do the 2015-17s.

OK, you nuked your post about the keys.

The car discerns which RKE is resident in the driver's seat and responds to that key. It doesn't matter if the wife gets in first and has her RKE in her pocket or purse. When you press the start button, the car looks for an RKE that is in the driver's area of the car and then responds to that RKE.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 08-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Hmm, can't be a gentleman and open the door and let her in first! Then the car thinks she's the driver!

In my case, the wife won't ride in the Vette unless I open her door and most important, since I make sure it is open fully so she clearly misses the side skirt, that I close it! She doesn't want to reach for the fully opened door!

My benefit is she doesn't have a key and doesn't drive the Vette! Oh she can drive a stick but feels if she put a scratch on the car I would get very mad! She's right! Works for me, although I keep trying to get her to use it at least once so if every needed she can deal with the clutch etc.
Funny, My wife and yours have the same approach to the vette
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM
KGoodwin
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not so. The car (2017 GS) grabs whoever gets into the signal reception range first. The keyless entry field is 3 feet (although the RKE transmitter functions can work up to 197 feet away). The RKE system in no way differentiates who is sitting in the driver's seat, just who came into the entry sensor range first. RKW = remote keyless entry, there is no physical key per se. There is a (hidden) key in the fob but it is only for insertion into the key slot near the rear license plate which unlocks the car if power to the vehicle is lost. One inserts the entire fob into the steering column for programming transmitters to the vehicle of which there can be up to 8 transmitters. The steering column fob slot also handles fob signal interference and low fob battery states.

Last edited by KGoodwin; 08-14-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by KGoodwin
Not so. The car (2017 GS) grabs whoever gets into the signal reception range first. The keyless entry field is 3 feet (although the RKE transmitter functions can work up to 197 feet away). The RKE system in no way differentiates who is sitting in the driver's seat, just who came into the entry sensor range first. RKW = remote keyless entry, there is no physical key per se. There is a (hidden) key in the fob but it is only for insertion into the key slot near the rear license plate which unlocks the car if power to the vehicle is lost. One inserts the entire fob into the steering column for programming transmitters to the vehicle of which there can be up to 8 transmitters. The steering column fob slot also handles fob signal interference and low fob battery states.
OF those 8 transmitters, only RKE 1 & 2 have any memory function on them.

OK, you both are standing at the passenger door and the driver's door. She opens the door, you then open the driver's door. Who got tagged first?

My wife has been waiting for me in the car AFTER SHE opened the door using her RKE. I get in and start the car and I don't get my knees crushed into my chest with her settings on the memory.

Why then does the car check for an X, Y, Z location of the RKE when the start key is pressed? If it didn't, I'd get crushed with her seat settings.

See this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595091984

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 08-14-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought another fob for extra backup, so it's #3.

I use #3 whenever I want to bump my reg Z51 into Z06 mode to get 650 hp...

Now that it's on the internet, then this must be absolutely true!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

There's been lots of posts about fob 1 and fob 2 and which is which. In actuality, neither of them is #1. Each fob is built with a unique identifier number inside one of its chips. This is used in 2 way communications with the car. The car has been programmed to respond to the unique number in your fob. Your fob is programmed to respond to a query by the car, identifying itself. All digital devises use unique identifiers.

Now when you program your seat, wheel, mirror settings you press SET and 1 and the computer associates unique fob number xyz with program number 1.

Where they are manufactured they assemble mass produced plastic covers from one factory with mass produced circuit boards from another factory. They aren't going to take the time, nor need to, to fit #1 circuit board into #1 plastic cover.

As I understand it, some cars do actually have a 1 or 2 on the fob. Possibly. But that would be for our visual reference rather than an electronic feature of the fob.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
I bought another fob for extra backup, so it's #3.

I use #3 whenever I want to bump my reg Z51 into Z06 mode to get 650 hp...

Now that it's on the internet, then this must be absolutely true!!!
Fob #8 but don't let it out!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl

There is a RKE FOB that is associated with button #1 and button #2, thus, they are often referenced as FOB 1 & 2 but true, they're the same critter but have been associated with 2 different programs for memory.

Elmer
Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
My 14 had the numbers in the fob as does my 17 GS. The 17 also shows it on the dash upon startup as well.
That is the correct answer

Get notified of new replies

To FOB 1 vs FOB 2

Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frodo

As I understand it, some cars do actually have a 1 or 2 on the fob. Possibly. But that would be for our visual reference rather than an electronic feature of the fob.
As in a prior post I made on this thread some time ago, I'll explain what the numbers mean! I didn't discover the issue it was deduced by a poster in 2013 when there was lots of confusion. A Chevy Tech person that monitor the forum said after checking "with their sources" the numbers were not there for anything Chevy does it's for the manufacturer of the FOBs (or in this case actually the removable keys.)

I'll explain what the numbers mean:
It was several months after I got my September 2013 built Z51 until a forum poster figured out what those key numbers mean. He deduced they were identifying marks in a two cavity die. It's a random chance on what you get!
Therefore:
25% get two 1s (what I had)
25% get two 2s
50% get a 1 and a 2.

However the most confusion for 25% of the folks who look, half of those who get a 1 & 2 have the first programed FOB be different than the key number!! For those folks, just swap keys!!! It would be foolish for GM to put numbers in a key that can be swapped- think about it!

In fact 25% of folks who had a 1 & 2 and by chance had them programmed in the correct order were a PIA! Kept telling others we didn't know what we were talking about, the keys were properly numbered. Some brought keys back to the dealer - who had no idea what was going on!!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-14-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Scenario:

Wife opens passenger door and gets in the car with RKE FOB #2. This FOB is set to remember memory settings #2 and has a closer seat setting than RKE FOB #1.

Driver gets in driver's side with RKE FOB #1 in pocket.

When the car's "Start" button is pressed, what seat setting does the car go to? Seat position 2 (associated with RKE FOB #2) as it was the first RKE FOB recognized by the car during the unlocking procedure or does it go to the settings for the RKE FOB #1 in the pocket of the driver?

Video shows the car looks for the RKE FOB that is in the area of the driver's seat.

Video to prove: http://www.jaxvette.com/c7/IMG_1044.MOV

Elmer
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by JerryU
As in a prior post I made on this thread some time ago, I'll explain what the numbers mean! I didn't discover the issue it was deduced by a poster in 2013 when there was lots of confusion. A Chevy Tech person that monitor the forum said after checking "with their sources" the numbers were not there for anything Chevy does it's for the manufacturer of the FOBs (or in this case actually the removable keys.)

I'll explain what the numbers mean:
It was several months after I got my September 2013 built Z51 until a forum poster figured out what those key numbers mean. He deduced they were identifying marks in a two cavity die. It's a random chance on what you get!
Therefore:
25% get two 1s (what I had)
25% get two 2s
50% get a 1 and a 2.

However the most confusion for 25% of the folks who look, half of those who get a 1 & 2 have the first programed FOB be different than the key number!! For those folks, just swap keys!!! It would be foolish for GM to put numbers in a key that can be swapped- think about it!

In fact 25% of folks who had a 1 & 2 and by chance had them programmed in the correct order were a PIA! Kept telling others we didn't know what we were talking about, the keys were properly numbered. Some brought keys back to the dealer - who had no idea what was going on!!
My FOB has 2 keys on it; my wife's has NO keys on it. Pretty simple to keep them straight as to which is which.

Elmer

Quick Reply: FOB 1 vs FOB 2