Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't drive my C7 due to total hip surgery

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's some hope for you. I had a total hip replacement in Sep '07 and did rehab with the total hip replacement protocol (no bending <90degrees). After week 4 I drove my '57 Vette & 66 Vette that I had at the time (granted, much easier to get in and out of than a C7). Anyway, nine years later still driving my Vette collection, doing all my own yard work and going to the gym 4x a week (@66 years old). Listen to your doctors orders but be hopeful for your future!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
jgzo6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B&BVettes
Here's some hope for you. I had a total hip replacement in Sep '07 and did rehab with the total hip replacement protocol (no bending <90degrees). After week 4 I drove my '57 Vette & 66 Vette that I had at the time (granted, much easier to get in and out of than a C7). Anyway, nine years later still driving my Vette collection, doing all my own yard work and going to the gym 4x a week (@66 years old). Listen to your doctors orders but be hopeful for your future!
Thanks for the post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 AM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

My husband is 29, he had surgery on both of his hips two years ago (microfractures). It was a solid three weeks before he was remotely comfortable getting in and out of the car as a passenger. He wasn't able to drive for closer to 6 weeks due to our cars both being manuals. I would listen to your doctor, the most important part of a surgery is the recovery period so your body has time to heal and build strength to prevent any future problems.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:31 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Glad to hear all the positive info. I had my right hip replaced one week ago. Getting around better than I thought, and still using a walker. I have my C7 on the battery tender, but I can still hear her calling my name; "drive me, drive me".

At 6'4" 300lbs. in and out was never perfect. Sliding in with the top down is easy, getting out always fun.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Depends totally on the individual and muscle strength. My wife has both knees, both hips and both shoulder joints replaced and can get into the Vette by cannot get out without assistance.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:43 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Broke my leg, luckily the left one, skiing way up in New Hampshire a couple years ago. Put the ski back on, skiied down and put the skiis and one pole in the Silverado. Hobbled into the lodge and somehow managed to get my boot off but jt hurt. Packed up and drove back to our house in Massachusetts then the next day back to Virginia Beach. Not one bit of fun. Hips are a whole different thing. Several of them going on around. The lack of mobility is tough. Had knee surgery and good as new. I quadrupled the amount of PT they said I should do so maybe that helped.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

My wife at age 73 had both hips replace in the same year... Your looking at 3 months before your back what think is normal. But, she no problems from the hip surgery getting in and out of our 08. Now that being said, old age does give both of a little trouble getting and out. We are butt first entry and wat ever works to get out. lol
Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by oemtech
and what ever works to get out. lol
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Hopefully I can take the liberty, too, for the apostrophe : )
LOL,,grammer cop busted.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

May I humbly suggest two things:

First: Sheepskin seatcovers
Okay, I'll wait a moment for the laughter to subside...
Now, the thing is, thick SS covers (not fake fur, but nice thick SS) will provide A LOT of cushioning to the entire seat. It will also allow air to circulate and also give more surface area to move around on. I don't have any (major) hip issues but my hip and back Arthur does start barking sometimes and the SS covers in my daily drive C7 really makes a difference.

Second: Door Dog
This is something new that just came out from Custom Corvette Accessories. A quick search on this forum and you can find it.
So why this? Well, hips aren't just for sitting, they're also used for support. The DD will make opening and closing the C7 door a lot easier. It gives you an accessible handle and provides leverage that can reduce the effort.

Just a couple of little things that may make the C7 more comfortable to live with.

My two cents...

Dave
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jgzo6
I know there must be another old guy like me who has had his hip replaced maybe even a young guy.. I am 10 days post on a total left hip currently walking on cane . My Dr who has a c7 says at least 3 months before c7 and may have to use a pillow for support. I can't even get comfortable in our 17 Honda accord now. Would like to hear from c7 owners with same problem that can give me their experience on how long and how comfortable the car is to ride in after healed My c7 is an a8 I sold off my c5 zo6 because of my left hip problem. I am hoping I do not have to let my c7 go. But if it is painfull to drive that may be the case. Thanks
Had total hip replacement in Feb. 2014..........did what doctor said for rehab......... in Aug. 2014 drove our 2000 FRC 6 speed from Lilliwaup ,Washington, to Bowling Green on 2014 Caravan. We came home on Route 66. One of the best trips we ever took in our Corvettes for 3 week trip.
PS I have also had 3 back operations since 2000 that required fusions.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
ken roy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The basics: a good surgeon, good nights sleep the night before, good rehab and your attitude following surgery. I was over 80, and back to shifting in less than 3 months. Better than before.
Ken

Quick Reply: Can't drive my C7 due to total hip surgery