Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Z51 A/S ZP release date

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

We saw the actual tire at Spring Mountain in August. They said that it was a run flat, and there was no mention of manual vs automatic.
The only stipulation was that the ZO6 versions of the all-season were coming later.
No date specified.
Note that while they were showing the tire, the Michelin folks were there taking the 2 day course. Guessing that they brought it with them.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dashotgun
not that it matters to me since I have an A* but why do you say that. When I ordered it on tirerack today they did not ask me if it was a manual or 7spd. If you are going to make a assertion back it up
I guess you don't get sarcasm?
There are no AS 3+ run flat tires!
Just like there is no automatic rev match!
Old 09-18-2016, 10:29 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stangslayer

Might want to fly one of these when you want to hit the sarcasm button...

Elmer
Old 09-18-2016, 10:30 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

actually there is a thread stating the Auto's do rev match in track mode shrug whatever you say dude
Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have these tires for my Stingray (18 and 19s). The price was $1,250 at Discount Tires. They had a touchless system for install and the latest balance system. I had them rotated after 7,000 miles. Remember that the tires are directional and have to be removed from the rims and reinstalled. That is the only thing I don't care for, but where I have them done they do no harm. I really like these tires.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:11 AM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

These part numbers/descriptions came directly to me from Michelin for ordering proper tires...

Fronts...#19713 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 245/35ZR19 ZP ASY M+S,
All Season Tires

Rears....#05262 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 285/30ZR20 ZP ASY M+S
All Season Tires
The following 4 users liked this post by PUGPROUD:
BruceTXN (09-19-2016), Dif (09-18-2016), Jmcdude (09-18-2016), RonC7 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
These part numbers/descriptions came directly to me from Michelin for ordering proper tires...

Fronts...#19713 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 245/35ZR19 ZP ASY M+S,
All Season Tires

Rears....#05262 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 285/30ZR20 ZP ASY M+S
All Season Tires

Yep. They had them on their display at the Museum Anniversary.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Don't know where you get your info but, they are being released in October per Michelin at the Museum Anniversary.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Originally Posted by stevedun
Don't know where you get your info but, they are being released in October per Michelin at the Museum Anniversary.
Time will tell!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Originally Posted by dashotgun
actually there is a thread stating the Auto's do rev match in track mode shrug whatever you say dude
Oh, I am sorry, a THREAD makes it a reality?
I suppose that in track mode the torque converter becomes a DCT transmission?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:17 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Your Dealer is misinformed!
The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ are not run-flat tires.
They are an upgraded version of the AS 3's.
What is coming out end of October is the rear Z51 size in the AS 3+ tire.
When I ordered my forged wheels I had them shod with AS 3+ in stock sizes months last May. They've been around longer than that.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:51 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

not in a run flat and by the way found out the answer to rev matching in an auto according to Tadg the chief engineer of the corvette it does

Why does the time between depressing the paddle in manual mode and the Automatic Transmission shifting seem so long. Why can't it be instantaneous?
Quote:
Tadge answered:
First of all, we on Team Corvette want to wish everyone in the Corvette community and on the Corvette Forum a wonderful holiday and a safe and happy new year!

Now on to the answer:

Although shift speeds have been a priority in racing for a long time, it is a relatively new focus in the mass production auto industry. For decades we had basically two transmission choices; a traditional manual transmission where the time to shift was 100% dependent on the driver’s skill level, and a torque converter automatic where the vehicle hardware and calibration determined the shift timing and speed. The main focus on the automatics was a smooth shift with little driveline or customer disturbance. Yes, there were niche products that featured different set ups, so pardon me for the generalization.

Some performance cars started to offer automated manual transmissions that used a traditional clutch but did the work of shifting robotically, but my experience with those early units was that they were slow and lacked the finesse of a well-shifted manual driven by a skilled driver. Over time the shift quality and speed was improved and manufacturers started talking about shift times as an important performance vehicle characteristic. For the most part auto makers have moved away from automated manuals and use sophisticated planetary automatics or DCT’s to get the best shift speed and quality. This question focuses on shift speed, so I will leave the pros and cons of the two automatic transmission types for another day.

So why can’t down shifts be instantaneous? Well, there is the transmission hardware side that faces the physical challenge of transferring the torque from one set of gears to another set of gears. That is the time most manufacturers quote when discussing shift times. Those times have been improved over the years to very small fractions of a second and the Corvette is competitive with the best on that score. To be honest, we have put a higher priority on upshifts because they occur while accelerating and will contribute faster lap times. Downshifts typically occur when off-throttle and on the brakes, so a slower shift is far less likely to affect lap times. Regardless, up or down, our 8-speed automatic transmission is capable of extremely fast shift speeds.

The paddle shifters on Corvette are controlled by on-board computers just like many other functions on the car. They are “intelligent” devices that seek to improve the safety and controllability of the car. When the driver requests a downshift, the car does not blindly obey (the same is true for throttle inputs). It checks a multitude of parameters to verify that a shift can be done safely, without risk of damage to the car and without upsetting the vehicle dynamics. The control modules work to match the speed and torque of the engine to the future gear state. Note that there are a number of ECUs (Electronic Control Units) involved communicating in a coordinated way across an on-vehicle network, not just a computation done in a single processor. The larger the engine, the more inertia and the more challenging perfect matching is. I’m sure you know that an abrupt shift and resulting torque spike while cornering quickly can unsettle the car, so the algorithms for shifting will take that into account. In addition to how the car is being driven, ambient conditions, driver mode selected and other factors are taken into account. Even the break-in state of the transmission matters. Over time the transmission actually learns about itself and seeks to improve shift performance. All this intelligence takes computational time by the on-board processors. The throughput of those processors is dependent on the workload at the time of the shift, so the latency from shift command to shift execution can vary a bit.

All manufacturers are working to improve the shift speed and quality of their transmissions. I foresee ongoing improvement in this area.

One last side note: Some companies do something that we do not do. They move the tachometer needle to the new rpm on a shift faster than the engine actually achieves it. This bit of electronic trickery improves the perception of shift speed without actually changing it. Although it seems to be effective, we don't do it because it is inconsistent with our philosophy on Corvette to convey the most accurate information possible in our cluster displays.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:35 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

How did this thread become about transmissions?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:42 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by B-STOCK
How did this thread become about transmissions?
Typical

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
B-STOCK (09-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Michelin Z51 A/S ZP release date