Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Interested to hear the results
Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Latest update. Executive Liaison is waiting for the Regional Manager, who is waiting for Detroit Engineering, to get back with him. She says she will continue to check in with him.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

What is your total out of pocket to this point?

Ken
Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Precisely!

I don't understand what folks here have gotten so worked up about, given that the so-called denial was reversed in a matter of an hour or so after the OP first heard it, as explained in post #7.
Because the denial itself should never have been issued. Yes you dismiss it as an oversight soon corrected but it is possible another explanation more closely represents the reason for the reversal. This could indicate the initial denial was the true intent and if so, justifies the concern shared by many in this thread.

The insurance industry is long known to have a policy of deny first, litigate second and pay after appeal. I'd doubt this policy is limited to the one industry.

Also, the procedure for how it will be covered also raises concern.
They want to remove a part, test it and if the failure isn't related to the OP's ownership then he'll be reimbursed. This implies he is paying initially. It also means placing trust in the very same entity that is going to be financially responsible for a covered repair to accept that responsibility. The cynic in me wouldn't accept such terms and I'd be more inclined to take another route that protects my interests from the onset.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Because the denial itself should never have been issued. Yes you dismiss it as an oversight soon corrected but it is possible another explanation more closely represents the reason for the reversal. This could indicate the initial denial was the true intent and if so, justifies the concern shared by many in this thread.

The insurance industry is long known to have a policy of deny first, litigate second and pay after appeal. I'd doubt this policy is limited to the one industry.

Also, the procedure for how it will be covered also raises concern.
They want to remove a part, test it and if the failure isn't related to the OP's ownership then he'll be reimbursed. This implies he is paying initially. It also means placing trust in the very same entity that is going to be financially responsible for a covered repair to accept that responsibility. The cynic in me wouldn't accept such terms and I'd be more inclined to take another route that protects my interests from the onset.
You should pay attention to post dates.

The post you quoted me on was written in September, 1 day after his warranty denial, when it looked as if it would be resolved quickly based upon what the OP said. One day after the rogue regional rep made his incorrect decision, the OP was led to believe it would be reversed, thus my response. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but sometimes corporate employees make bad decisions, and they often get reversed quickly by senior management.

As it turned out, it was not resolved quickly. Given that fact, my opinion has changed months later, and I agree that the way this was handled was completely unacceptable.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-15-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

You should pay attention to post dates. The post you quoted me on was written a long time ago, when it looked as if it would be resolved quickly based upon what the OP said.

As it turned out, it was not resolved quickly. Given that fact, my opinion has changed months later, and I agree that the way this was handled was completely unacceptable.
I read every post, the tone of your posts remained the same right up until post #81 which looks like your most recent post prior to today where you said

Given the reported findings above, I'm nearly certain you're covered. I will be shocked if GM denies coverage. It's still a shame that a "rogue" GM field rep put you in this situation.

In any event, this issue remains unresolved for the OP and the concerns shared by members here are being validated by GM itself.

I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't concerned for what this means regarding my own Z06 and possibly tracking it.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 12-15-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Like I said, you should pay attention to post dates. Until my latest post a couple of days ago, I haven't posted on this thread since September.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 AM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by probono
What is your total out of pocket to this point?

Ken
About $5200
Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Ten years ago or so GM eliminated a lot of their service rep positions (the guru's who would visit the dealer every week and inspect cars and parts and solve problems). Now a sales&service rep often covers both positions (some of them are not very mechanically inclined). GM now gives the dealers' own service managers the authority to make warranty decisions. GM's basic policy is to support the service manager's decision, many appeals to GM for assistance end up right back with that manager. I'd be curious to know if it was the dealer service manager that initially red flagged the car, not a service rep who happened to see it.

With enough push from higher up in GM a service manager's decision can be overruled. All the publicity here should help. The Corvette world is watching...
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 AM
bikevette
Racer

Default Additional Update

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Ten years ago or so GM eliminated a lot of their service rep positions (the guru's who would visit the dealer every week and inspect cars and parts and solve problems). Now a sales&service rep often covers both positions (some of them are not very mechanically inclined). GM now gives the dealers' own service manager's the authority to make warranty decisions. GM's basic policy is to support the service manager's decision, many appeals to GM for assistance end up right back with that manager. I'd be curious to know if it was the dealer service manager that initially red flagged the car, not a service rep who happened to see it.

With enough push from higher up in GM a service manager's decision can be overruled. All the publicity here should help. The Corvette world is watching...
First a customer service rep disapproved it. (The guy standing by the counter. ) When I explained to him about the track qualifications this car has including the track prep in the owner's manual, the provided cooling rings, Z51 model, etc., I elevated it to the service manager. The Regional Rep "happened" to come by the next week and parroted the service manager's decision about track use invalidating the warranty.

Not until I emailed a VP + a couple others in Detroit did things start "moving".

The "Executive Liaison" who had my email bounced down to her from Detroit HQ, has communicated with me, and now seems to be working back with the original Regional Rep, who is waiting to hear from Engineering in Detroit, so kinda back where I started from in that loop.

I don't see how an Engineering shop in Detroit can look at a burned eDiff clutch with excessive play, and determine that it's operator's fault. But we'll see. The manual calls for slower than normal laps on your first HPDE and a eDiff oil change after that event, which is what I did.

What it boils down to is that dealer service managers will do anything to avoid warranty work due to the reduced compensation they get from Detroit vs. an "out the door" charge to a customer who is past his 3/36,000 etc.
Over a six month process now since I first turned the car in. Last email to me from the Executive Liaison was a couple days ago.

At least I have my car back, vs struggling with this issue while it's sitting under tarp out back of the shop somewhere.

I still have faith this will be resolved and I will be reimbursed. I'm dreaming of a ZR1 on the near horizon, but this case will be key.

Thank you all for your opinions, friendly and otherwise, all being well meaning. Will continue to keep everyone informed of events as they unfold.

Last edited by bikevette; 12-17-2016 at 02:42 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by bikevette:
cam30era (12-17-2016), Foosh (12-23-2016), Mike Mercury (12-23-2016), Walt White Coupe (12-17-2016), z28lt1 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

for giggles, I asked my service guy about it. All the other service reps looked around like I was crazy for asking if tracking my car could void a warranty. They all echoed what were saying: It comes marketed as a track ready car with track settings and track only parts.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 AM
bitsnkiblz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even if GM fully reimburses you today, this case has been shamefully mishandled. Yours is a cautionary tale that WILL be retold again and again. I suspect this will cost Chevrolet the $5200, many times over.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Over 20000 Readers.How many would be buyers? How's your inventory selling now GM...Real good business with a TRACK CAR issue on light track use
What about the buyers without the CASH to repair? Months of payments,no car..
The OP got stroked.Hopefully you get FULL payment in pocket soon.
GM...NICE JOB
It is a beautiful car to look at..
Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Enough is enough.....

OP, please PM forum member "jvp". He is our "Ask Tadge" facilitator and as such has a direct line to Mr. Jeuchter, the gentleman who said on camera during an interview that the Z51 equipped Stingray was covered by the powertrain warranty while on track as long as it is 100% stock.

I've seen him intervene on a few occasions here to help other forum members and always got immediate results. A simple link to this thread with a short note should suffice.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Enough is enough.....

OP, please PM forum member "jvp". He is our "Ask Tadge" facilitator and as such has a direct line to Mr. Jeuchter, the gentleman who said on camera during an interview that the Z51 equipped Stingray was covered by the powertrain warranty while on track as long as it is 100% stock.

I've seen him intervene on a few occasions here to help other forum members and always got immediate results. A simple link to this thread with a short note should suffice.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:54 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Over 20000 Readers.How many would be buyers? How's your inventory selling now GM...Real good business with a TRACK CAR issue on light track use
What about the buyers without the CASH to repair? Months of payments,no car..
The OP got stroked.Hopefully you get FULL payment in pocket soon.
GM...NICE JOB
It is a beautiful car to look at..
First of all, saying there are over 20,000 is a gross overstatement. I've clicked on this thread myself probably 50 times.

Second, damn few Corvette buyers track their car.

Third, not covering tracking cars is very likely more the norm across manufacturers.

I'd bet that not a single potential buyer is going to not buy a Corvette due to this thread or the issue. I roadraced (competitively) bone stock motorcycles for a few years and never gave a though abought whether they would be covered by warranty.

I also drag raced several Corvettes at less than a year old....and never gave a thought to whether or not they would be covered by warranty. And drag racing is harder on the drivetrain than road racing.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

This whole situation was caused by dealer service employees who remember the old days when any sign of racing was cause to void a warranty. The manager, not up to date on current policy, made a wrong decision initially and is now sticking by it. Although it is GM policy to support his decision, they should have stepped in long ago and overruled it.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Old 12-23-2016, 03:10 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
First of all, saying there are over 20,000 is a gross overstatement. I've clicked on this thread myself probably 50 times.
First of all:I'm not a Smart A$$.No Common sense Lawyer Big Money Maker type?
2nd.Click back to General Discussion Page (Don't get lost now) Follow the High School Grad?
3.On per topic page..Look extreme Right..No not that hand..This one..
Total is givin of how many readers....DER?? 20000 Plus is the correct HS Grad answer
Don't know why the quoting with your number? FAIL..HA
4.Topic is warranty,breakage and compensation.Did i miss something?
You don't think people are interested in purchasing a 60k-100k Plus car that GM won't stand behind..Go quote someone else with your expertise..HA
Ohh your RACING CAREER?? Who gives a flying Turd??

I'm done...YOU FAILED..HA
The case of DALE VS JSHINDLER Is closed
Old 12-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Actually Mr. Earnhart, if you look again on each forum main page, you won't find a category indicating the number of readers, you will find one showing number of views. You'll also find one for number of posts on each thread.

Moreover, anytime anyone opens a thread, that counts as a view. Many click on something, which is a view, and don't actually read more than a post or two, so it doesn't really register on them.

I personally have probably viewed this thread 30-50 times, to see if the OP was making any progress toward resolving his unfortunate and unfair situation.

However, I'm only one person. 20000 views opened by 50 interested people 50 times would equal 400 readers.

Judgement to JSCHINDLER: Case Closed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
jschindler (12-23-2016), Mike Mercury (12-23-2016), ZenicaPA (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
for giggles, I asked my service guy about it. All the other service reps looked around like I was crazy for asking if tracking my car could void a warranty. They all echoed what were saying: It comes marketed as a track ready car with track settings and track only parts.
Of course, as a lawyer, you know only a court can "void" a contract (i.e., for illegality, violation of public policy, etc). A party to a contract cannot "void" it. It can only refuse to perform under it, claiming breach by the other party. And it may or may not prevail if sued for breach.

Sorry to nitpick, but the misuse of the expression "void your warranty" is a pet peeve of mine. Especially when car manufacturers use the word in their warranties.

IAALBNYL
The following 3 users liked this post by Corvettinator:
FLATJ (12-31-2016), Old Yellow (12-23-2016), ZenicaPA (12-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51