Lifetime Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
It is what it is and since you have no intention of going back to that dealer case closed.
Sorry can't stop when I feel like I been misled.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that is a dealer sales gimmick, and several dealers of various makes advertise "free lifetime oil changes" in the Washington, DC metro area. It has nothing to do w/ GM corporate, and it is only good at the selling dealer for the original owner.

It's important to always remember that dealer's are independent businesses, and they sell all kinds of add-ons.
Normally I would expect to see something mentioned on a 'document' as to where it is valid....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-23-2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
Old 09-22-2016, 09:52 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 67pete
Sorry can't stop when I feel like I been misled.
Buyer beware. Lesson of life. I'd advise you to swallow the bitterness and move on. Dwelling on it will only remove your joy in owning the car. Life's too short and $1500 over the life of the car isn't worth losing sleep and peace of mind over.
The following 2 users liked this post by mksz51:
JerryU (09-23-2016), Steve_R (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Buyer beware. Lesson of life. I'd advise you to swallow the bitterness and move on. Dwelling on it will only remove your joy in owning the car. Life's too short and $1500 over the life of the car isn't worth losing sleep and peace of mind over.

Everyone has some sort of this thing happen about something at one point or another.
The following users liked this post:
mksz51 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 AM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 67pete
The selling dealer "misled" me on initially saying that they would give me the Military / Veterans Discount and when the car was delivered and I went to finalize the transaction, they told me that it would not be applied!
This is why I refuse to return there for any service.
The $1,477 lifetime oil change is a dealer add on, not a GM/Chevrolet plan, plain and simple. The onus to prove otherwise is on you. Either take advantage of what you've already paid for or let it go as has been suggested, and take it as a reminder to more closely read the contract and ask questions before signing next time.

And as a vet myself, had the dealership reneged on the military discount I would've refused to accept the car and went another dealer.

Last edited by ZMan64; 09-23-2016 at 07:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that is a dealer sales gimmick, and several dealers of various makes advertise "free lifetime oil changes" in the Washington, DC metro area. It has nothing to do w/ GM corporate, and it is only good at the selling dealer for the original owner.

It's important to always remember that dealer's are independent businesses, and they sell all kinds of add-ons.
At $1477 "appearance package" sounds like it may have included a "magic" exterior lifetime finish as well!

Recall when we bought our Nissan Murano they had already added a magic protectant and etched anti-theft markings on the windows. Can't recall the exact amount they wanted but used that in my final negotiations! After agreeing on a price this extra cost of that dealer "option" was raised! Said I would not pay and I'd walk away (and I would) if that cost was not removed! Lots of discussion between the salesman and sales manager but they took the cost off!

That is why I enjoyed the buying experience at Kerbeck! They stated the price over the phone and that is what I paid!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

"I waited until my 2yr / 24k mile warranty expired to use this."
What exactly does that mean?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
"I waited until my 2yr / 24k mile warranty expired to use this."
What exactly does that mean?
I think it is pretty obvious the OP is referring to the 2/24 maintenance...
Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

You get oil changes free for two years. How long do you expect to keep this car and how many miles do you expect to put on year? You may only change it once a year after the second year so not a huge expense. If having paid for oil changes in advance to a dealer you can't stand irks you so much then have them do the oil changes but nothing else. They aren't really making any money on oil changes anyway, especially when they are paid at reduced rate by GM for the covered oil changes. Obviously you can go to another dealer to get the oil changes done for the first two years too. If you keep the car after that have them done at the place you purchased the car and any other maintenance or repairs done elsewhere. Also, don't hate the service department because of something the sales department did to you.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
You get oil changes free for two years.
More precisely, you get two free oil changes to be performed within the first twenty-four months. This is for wet-sump engines.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Good luck with that argument and getting another dealer to do it for free. You paid the selling dealer for it, not GM, which is why it's only good there. Any other dealer won't get reimbursed for a "free" oil change..
No need to think otherwise. I understand you're not happy with the sales staff, but I would still go back for the free oil changes. It looks to me like you've paid for them, and if you don't you'll lose more money. However, it's your decision.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Sorry Pete,
They won when you did not read over the papers when you signed.
They won again when you refuse to make them perform the services you paid for.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Oil Changes