C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Zaphod B
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Buy a base GS and you have it all.
Base GS + competition seats.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Danattherock
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Basically the Stingray, Z51 option and Grand Sport have the same hp and torque, Z51 is a bit quicker to 60 than the base, GS a touch quicker than the Z51. In order to to achieve the quickest times to 60 you need to opt for the Z07 package on the GS, sticker tires and get the A8 tranny.
Top speed will probably go to the base car because of lower downforce and drag due to smaller spoiler and non functional vents sucking air into the coolers for the tranny and e-dif.
The rated cornering is about .o2 g's better in the Z51 over the base and another .2 for the GS over the base. On the street there will be little difference in preformance but the ride will be better in the base, next will be the cars with MSRC, be that Z51 with it or the GS which has it standard.
If you are looking for a touring car the base is plenty good, going to track, the car with the Z51 will offer you more track oriented goodies in the suspension and the GS is over the top with track optioned equipment standard.
All 3 cars have the same interior so you can choose the comfort level you want.
But to get the top of the heap will cost you a bit, pricing for the GS with the 3lt and Z07 package is going to be 90K+, the base is going to hit at about 72K and add 5K for the Z51 and another 1,800 for the MSRC which will get you near 80K.
Of course there are discounts which will help lower the outlay, but as the GS is the new kid on the block the discount will not be as deep as for the other boys in the corral.
But whatever you choose it is a damn fine car!

Thanks for taking the time to share. You filled in some of the many questions I had. Greatly appreciate you chiming in.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
rcooper (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Danattherock
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zaphod B
Base GS + competition seats.

Thanks. Are any of the seats more accommodating than others? I'm 6'6" 305 lbs. Drove my moms 2005 vette and was very comfortable, but haven't been in a C7 yet. Curious if there is one seat or the other that would afford me more room.

Dan
Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Basically the Stingray, Z51 option and Grand Sport have the same hp and torque, Z51 is a bit quicker to 60 than the base, GS a touch quicker than the Z51. In order to to achieve the quickest times to 60 you need to opt for the Z07 package on the GS, sticker tires and get the A8 tranny.
Top speed will probably go to the base car because of lower downforce and drag due to smaller spoiler and non functional vents sucking air into the coolers for the tranny and e-dif.
The rated cornering is about .o2 g's better in the Z51 over the base and another .2 for the GS over the base. On the street there will be little difference in preformance but the ride will be better in the base, next will be the cars with MSRC, be that Z51 with it or the GS which has it standard.
If you are looking for a touring car the base is plenty good, going to track, the car with the Z51 will offer you more track oriented goodies in the suspension and the GS is over the top with track optioned equipment standard.
But to get the top of the heap will cost you a bit, pricing for the GS with the 3lt and Z07 package is going to be 90K+, the base is going to hit at about 72K and add 5K for the Z51 and another 1,800 for the MSRC which will get you near 80K.
Of course there are discounts which will help lower the outlay, but as the GS is the new kid on the block the discount will not be as deep as for the other boys in the corral.

but I would take the used Z06 over all of them at the same price.
ViperFan1 (10-18-2018)
Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Danattherock
Thanks. Are any of the seats more accommodating than others? I'm 6'6" 305 lbs. Drove my moms 2005 vette and was very comfortable, but haven't been in a C7 yet. Curious if there is one seat or the other that would afford me more room.

Dan
Hate to say this but I doubt you will fit. The comp seats will be to tight in the shoulder area and the bolsters will pinch you a bunch. The standard GT seat is great for those of us that are of average size but Chevy did not take larger people into account when they designed the car.
My son is about 6' + and tips in at 265, a touch chubby but mostly broad shoulders and wide across the back and a little wide in the butt...big guy by most standards and he does not fit very well.
Although he is fond of riding in the C7 I know that he is not real comfy, just does it to keep the old man happy I think. He was fine in my C6.
You need to go to a dealer and try one on. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by rcooper:
Danattherock (09-24-2016), joemessman (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Danattherock
I'm 6'6" 305 lbs. Drove my moms 2005 vette and was very comfortable, but haven't been in a C7 yet.
I'm 6'3" 235 lbs. and glad that I'm no taller.

It's not necessarily that the interior is smaller, it's that the dash seems to be closer to the driver than ever before. The seating dimensions are actually pretty close to that of the C6 I had, but that dash has been pulled forward making it seem a bit more on the snug side. I guess they were going for the cramped jet-fighter feel where there's not any room for much moving around in the driver's seat/cockpit. Which is great for racing on a road course but not so much for big guys trying to get comfortable.

There is less than an inch between my left knee and the push button control for the rear-hatch on the lower dashboard and that's with the seat as far back as it can possibly go. Even when I get in slowly and carefully, my right knee still sometimes hits the bottom of the steering column and that big temp control ****. But once I'm in, I'm very comfortable and you may well be too. Go check it out before you get too excited about a C7. Before I bought mine, I went to a couple of dealers and just sat in them for a extended periods of time just playing with the controls and getting the feel of it.

Good luck!

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 09-24-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Danattherock (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:23 AM
RPOC7R
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent factual based summary. Well said.
rcooper (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:27 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

3 models.

Stingray, Grand Sport and Z06
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm a TrackDay amateur, and enjoy tracking on the weekends. I have a 13 Camaro 1LE and have wanted the C7 ever since I saw the first realistic rendering of it. As someone already mentioned, it needs to fit your wallet as well. I just picked up a 16 Stingray with the z51 package and magnetic ride control/PTM. (It also has red calipers because apparently the red color helps you stop at least 20 feet shorter lol). But this car checked off all my boxes and will allow me to have fun at the track and enjoy it on the Sunday drives.

I'm new to the Vette world, but if Vette people are anything like my 14/15 Z28 Camaro buddies, 80% of GS and Z06 owners will NEVER enjoy their cars on the track, the way they were meant to be enjoyed. Best of luck on your new car. Don't buy a nameplate that pleases others, buy what fits your lifestyle and budget.
(Edit: if the Z06 fit my budget, I'd be staring at it in my garage now, so don't take it as I'm knocking the higher models)

Last edited by LT4CMG; 09-24-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I'm not big. 6 ft and 142. Fit great. Room to spare. My brother is 6ft 2inchces and about 200. He sits comfortably, but he remarked to me that if he was any bigger he wouldn't be comfortable. He has normal inseam leg length. If you have a long torso you are better off with a transparent roof. All in all everyone is built different in spite of your height and weight. You'll just have to sit in one. I think if you have to work too hard to get a fit, it is not the car you want to buy.
Danattherock (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

It's obviously personal preference, but I think that the wide-body C7 is one of the best looking cars ever built, which is why I purchased a Z06.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:51 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

As far as which corvette, I was going to buy a Z51 3LT, but I ended up going for a base 3LT with the mag ride, which was actually 2k more. The mag ride was the deciding factor. The car I have now was the best driving out of any corvette I had test drove. It was that must better than the others that I drove it for five minutes and bought it when I got back to the dealer.

You are going to need to sit inside a vette to see if it fits. I'm 5'5" and around 115 lbs and the car fits me fine. I can't imagine how you would fit inside this car though. I'm not big and I don't have loads of room. Sitting in one should be your first priority.

We have a Challenger which is huge inside. That could be an option, or a Camaro. I had a '14 Camaro and didn't love the car so I would suggest the Dodge over it (I know, heresy). If you have the money, go for the Hellcat.
The following 2 users liked this post by JenFZ09:
Danattherock (09-24-2016), Skid Row Joe (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Danattherock
Heel & Toe

Hellcat Charger is the backup actually, been looking at them a while. Also, a 73' Cuda on the list. But the C7 really captivated my imagination, such a beautiful car, and handling and overall driving experience would eclipse that of a Hellcat I suspect. I fit comfortably in the Hellcat Charger though, something I obviously need to check into regarding the C7. I falsely assumed interior room would be similar to my moms 2005, which I could drive comfortably. I read about a new 640 HP Camaro as well, which I should look at more closely it seems. Thanks for the input here.

Dan
Old 09-24-2016, 09:06 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Allow our moderator to clarify your confusion

Z51 is a model
There are many who will never acknowledge the Z51 optioned cars as a model just because GM up and decided it wanted it to be one for the C7. Z51 was an option on the C6 and prior and there's no logical reason why it shouldn't be the same for the C7

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 09-24-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The 650 hp for the Camaro is actually too much for the car. I'm all for hp, but it felt like the car was going to spin out.

I was given keys to one of those high hp Camaros and sent on my way, alone. I went up the highway an exit, and back, and wanted to return it immediately. The Corvette can at least handle the 460 hp (I haven't been in a Z06). The SS Camaro with the 460 hp is also fine.

Another thing to consider is we were able to buy a lifetime bumper to bumper factory warranty on the Challenger for 2k.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 09-24-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:19 AM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh look, Saturday cartoons must be over. The kids are on the computer again arguing.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:04 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Have the Z51 coupe and convertible and the Grand Sport. They are all great!

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:16 AM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Would the base Stingray with the narrower tires be better in cold weather and rain than the GS tires would be?

This is a question for those who will own the car without a garage.

Last edited by dead of night; 11-08-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I disagree with the Z51 being quicker than a base to 60 and even more so in the 1/4 mile. But that's not really that important. What I'd like to say is you really can't go wrong with any of those choices but if you want to track (road race) your car probably the GS is best with the Z51 coming in second. If you want a nice cruiser that can handle better than 98% of cars out there then get a base. If you're a straight line guy get a base with the 1LT because it's 100 lbs lighter and weight means time in a drag race. Just my 2 cents.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike Campbell:
joemessman (11-08-2016), Mobil 1 (04-20-2018), tlippy (04-19-2017)
Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A friend who is 6' 3" and around 220 has a C6 GS convertible. He has a little trouble getting in and out of the C6 but once seated, has plenty of room. He tried on a C7 for size, and left the dealership driving his C6.

Quick Reply: Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?