C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Reproduction Z06 wheel questions (after purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:12 PM
AlaskaPaul
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Factory Reproduction Z06 wheel questions (after purchase)

OK, so I received my beautiful chrome Z51 Z06 reproduction wheels for my C7 last Friday. I am very impressed with the visual quality, BTW.

However, both the box and the included instructions warn me that I have to assure that they are not out of round AND that the wheel fit my vehicle BEFORE mounting tires..........and I have only 10 days to return them if either condition exists.

My two questions are obviously, have any of you guys, (and there are many based upon those who said they bought these wheels, either chrome, black chrome, or black) , experienced out of round wheels or fitment issues, which I assume mean that they do not clear the calipers)??

I really love the new wheels, and think they are absolutely gorgeous.....but can't test them right now due to time constraints...........

Any negative (or positive, for that matter) info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alaskapaul
Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

As long as you ordered the same sizes as your OEM wheels you won't have any issues. In fact, I bet they'll balance with less weight needed than the factory ones you take off.
The following users liked this post:
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

What you need to ensure is they weren't damaged during shipment. That can mean bending. It is easy to use a tape measure to check the measurements and you can pull two wheels off one side of the car so you can fit them to the wheels and spin them. I would put all the wheels on the front wheel and spin them to make sure none of them are bent. Just put the wheels on the front hub use 3 lug nuts to hold them in place and get them rotating fast enough to see if they wobble. If any wheel wobbles it could be due to a manufacturing problem or shipping damage problem.

Bill
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The fitment issue should be easy to check by just mounting them on the car and making sure they clear everything. As for the out of round issue, do what Bill says or take them to a good tire shop and have them check the wheels.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:19 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I am certain that you probably bought the Factory Reproduction Z51fitment, Z06 style, branded wheels due to the text in your post.

The boxes are clearly marked with the disclaimer.

I would say for certain, you will experience "no" problems. I bought the same wheels.

Upon opening the FP boxes, each wheel was packed with cardboard sides, bottom, and tops, each wheel was packed inside plastic bags, and the there was a foam ring around the wheel edge/rim.

At first, I had the same concerns after seeing the disclaimer on the boxes. However, after opening and seeing the how well these wheels are packaged, I simply removed my tires and wheels off the C7.

I dry fitted the wheels, there were no problems. Since I was installing new tires and having the FP wheels mounted on the new tires, I simply loaded the wheels into the back of my pickup and off to Discount Tire who balanced the wheels, installed new TPMS, and mounted the new Continental DWS Extreme Contact tires.

It took only 1 - 1/4 oz wheel weight on each wheel to balance. 1 wheel needed no weights. I have not had any related issues and suspect you would not also.

If you would confirm that you did indeed purchase the Factory Reproduction wheels, I don't believe you're in for any issues or problems. These are high-quality wheels.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 09-25-2016 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
65vette396 (09-27-2016), AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 01:20 AM
AlaskaPaul
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks all of you........

I feel a bit better now and might be able to sleep without worrying so much about these wheels and having to hurry up and do something immediately.

And thanks especially to nmvettec7, as he gave me the answer I really wanted to hear.......that the wheels cleared the brakes, and that he had no problems at all. Yes, I bought the same wheels as you did, and as a matter of fact, the same tires also, only the tires have been sitting in my garage for a year. I bought them last October, along with a set of 5YW polished aluminum wheels which I had to return because they were totally scratched up on arrival. So I looked at the tires sitting there all last winter as I got into my C7 only on days it was above 40 degrees. Thankfully, we had a reasonably mild winter here in Maryland and I got the opportunity to drive it a lot. I must say the the stock summer tires were pretty squirrely at temps in the low 40's and below.

Now I'm looking forward to these new wheels and tires on the car for the winter, so I don't have to worry about the temperature outside (or in my garage, either). My stock z51 wheels and tires will be spending the winter in my heated basement.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Alaskapaul
nmvettec7 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

No problem. You'll be fine.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Alaskapaul:

After having my new FP Z51 wheels & tires for a few weeks, I decided I did not need the OEM GM Michelin's any longer as the ride on Conti Extreme Contact DWS was much smoother and quieter. Grip is very good.

I ended up selling the OEM GM Z51 chrome wheels, and OEM Michelin's and recouped my entire expense of the new wheels and tires, and had a few bucks left for other items I had put into my C7.

I think once your new setup is on your C7, you might feel that you don't need to store or use the extra set of wheels and tires.

BTW: I had my new wheels and tires mounted at my local Discount Tire store and they did the dismount, remount, installed new TPMS, balancing for $16.00 each.

Not sure if you have a DT store located near you. They have always done a great job with all my premium sports cars I own.

Post a few images of the new wheels on your C7.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 09-26-2016 at 09:49 AM.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The fitment issue should be easy to check by just mounting them on the car and making sure they clear everything. As for the out of round issue, do what Bill says or take them to a good tire shop and have them check the wheels.
purchased C6 chrome wheels that were mfg. in China and had a problem with them. Have them checked out ASAP.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alamo1974
purchased C6 chrome wheels that were mfg. in China and had a problem with them. Have them checked out ASAP.
alamo1974:

I see no reason to instill any fear into the situation on the FP wheels. There have been many CF members who have purchased these wheels either from Factory Reproductions direct, Keith at 1stratecorvetteparts and Joe, at West Coast Corvettes.

I am sure other purchasers of these wheels can chime in here if they had any reported problems or issues.

In addition, a simple call (if concerned) to the selling vendor to see what the return rate by buyers has been, will provide a good indication if any problems or issues had been reported.

I would imagine the wheels purchased for the C6 were not the same manufacturer as the wheels being discussed in the thread.

Because these Factory Reproduction wheels were produced/manufactured in China, does not make them an inferior product.

The following 3 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016), John Micheal Henry (11-29-2016), WCC JOE (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
alamo1974:

I see no reason to instill any fear into the situation on the FP wheels. There have been many CF members who have purchased these wheels either from Factory Reproductions direct, Keith at 1stratecorvetteparts and Joe, at West Coast Corvettes.

I am sure other purchasers of these wheels can chime in here if they had any reported problems or issues.

In addition, a simple call (if concerned) to the selling vendor to see what the return rate by buyers has been, will provide a good indication if any problems or issues had been reported.

I would imagine the wheels purchased for the C6 were not the same manufacturer as the wheels being discussed in the thread.

Because these Factory Reproduction wheels were produced/manufactured in China, does not make them an inferior product.

Paul, I'm one of those guys Richard mentioned. I bought mine after I saw his car with them installed. When the wheels arrived I gave them a good visual inspection, cleaned/polished them, and off to Discount Tire I went. The wheels balanced up easily, and as Richard said they took very little weight. Mine has been on for six months, and I haven't has one problem with them. Don't be concerned, they are well made wheels.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 09-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016), John Micheal Henry (11-29-2016), nmvettec7 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish they would come out with plain silver or gunmetal wheel colors.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

there awesome ....
I had them on my 16 z51 and sold the factory wheels ...loved them balanced with very little weight and fit and finish is top notch
I just ordered a set for my 17 GS and love those 2
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:18 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

wheels can be damaged during handling/shipping > before mounting tires, check wheels on a balancer

Last edited by C8Jake; 09-26-2016 at 10:21 PM.
AlaskaPaul (09-26-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 AM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I also bought the repo Z06 wheels for my Z51 in black chrome and in the correct size. The custom wheel shop that mounted them commented on the high quality, ease of fitment, and the small amount of weight required to balance them. They came packed better than any wheel that I've seen and just as nmvettec7 described. Zero issues!
AlaskaPaul (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I'll chime in here being as this is a situation I found myself in only a couple of days ago. Number 1 make sure you test fit first. I have done business with the company that I orderd my wheels from twice in the past and didn't have any issues. So excitement got the better of me and I had the tires installed and mounted the wheels without giving any thought to it. Before driving I noticed the wheel was literally sitting in the rotor. I have no one but myself to blame for this because the box and all directions say to test fit first! All I did was cost myself time and money, and scratched my rotors a bit. As far as them being damaged or out of round that's never happened to me but it could very easily happen during shipping so definitely check that as well before mounting. 3rd and finally only order your wheels from a reputable dealer. Everyone in this forum seems to be very happy with Bob @ house of wheels.
AlaskaPaul (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:42 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brooklync5
I'll chime in here being as this is a situation I found myself in only a couple of days ago. Number 1 make sure you test fit first. I have done business with the company that I orderd my wheels from twice in the past and didn't have any issues. So excitement got the better of me and I had the tires installed and mounted the wheels without giving any thought to it. Before driving I noticed the wheel was literally sitting in the rotor. I have no one but myself to blame for this because the box and all directions say to test fit first! All I did was cost myself time and money, and scratched my rotors a bit. As far as them being damaged or out of round that's never happened to me but it could very easily happen during shipping so definitely check that as well before mounting. 3rd and finally only order your wheels from a reputable dealer. Everyone in this forum seems to be very happy with Bob @ house of wheels.
brooklync5:

Did you buy the Factory Reproduction branded wheels?

It appears that perhaps one of the wheels shipped may have had the wrong offsets.

I am quite surprised your tire installer did not catch the wheel improper offset and mounted the tire on the hub.

The following 2 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
AlaskaPaul (09-27-2016), Rebel Yell (09-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Reproduction Z06 wheel questions (after purchase)

Old 09-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Can someone please post up a pic of the Z06 reproduction wheels in black chrome?? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'd really love to see them mounted first. I'm afraid they might be to chrome looking and not black enough. Thank you!!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I have several pics of the Z06 black chrome wheels in the photo album in my profile. Click on my user name and the album will be on the right side. In the sunlight, they look more chrome. In less light or shade, they appear darker. They definitely aren't black if that's what you're after.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Ok thank you!!

Quick Reply: Factory Reproduction Z06 wheel questions (after purchase)