Sponsored by:

The General should be ashamed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:44 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
The paint on my daughter's $17k Mexican built Golf is better than my C7. Kinda sad but I still love it.
Many cars are better painted, but I'm over it. My old '14 silver C7 wasnt that bad in the panel flatness or orange peel but when it was in the sunlight the right way it looked like it was painted with a spray can it was so blotchy.

Good cars for the money though, after a year it still looks good when the garage door opens. I just try not to look too close at it
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
My wife's $60K Mercedes has orange peel. So has every Audi (2), BMW (4), Jaguar (1), Ford (1), Cadillac (1), Jeep(3), and Mini (3) we've owned since 2000.

It's essentially unavoidable w/ water based paints, and the only way to get rid of it is a wet-sand or paint correction in some cases. The really high-end cars get this, but, of course, you're paying dearly for it.

Having said that, the finish quality out of Bowling Green is a bit below average.
I agree as my Mercedes has some orange peel, but my point was that you can get the same quality(or worse) paint job on a Corvette that can cost three times the amount of a new Mercedes.

To me, something is wrong with that.

I have twice the amount of leather in my Mercedes and it sure is of a higher quality than in my Corvette, yet my $80,000 Corvette costs twice as much as my $40,000 Mercedes.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

The comparison based on price is not a valid one in my opinion. We are getting a level of performance in our Corvettes that the Benz can not match. There is a value in that.

We all know GM is aware of the shortcomings of the Bowling Green paint shop with the current paint technology and body materials used on Corvette. We also know it is being addressed. Yet this topic keeps getting brought up here.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I agree as my Mercedes has some orange peel, but my point was that you can get the same quality(or worse) paint job on a Corvette that can cost three times the amount of a new Mercedes.

I have twice the amount of leather in my Mercedes and it sure is of a higher quality than in my Corvette, yet my $80,000 Corvette costs twice as much as my $40,000 Mercedes.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:57 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by kp
Many cars are better painted, but I'm over it. My old '14 silver C7 wasnt that bad in the panel flatness or orange peel but when it was in the sunlight the right way it looked like it was painted with a spray can it was so blotchy.

Good cars for the money though, after a year it still looks good when the garage door opens. I just try not to look too close at it
A lot of performance for the money.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
The comparison based on price is not a valid one in my opinion. We are getting a level of performance in our Corvettes that the Benz can not match. There is a value in that.

We all know GM is aware of the shortcomings of the Bowling Green paint shop with the current paint technology and body materials used on Corvette. We also know it is being addressed. Yet this topic keeps getting brought up here.
I couldn't agree more!

I enjoy the driving experience and performance so much, I no longer see what I now consider to be relatively minor finish imperfections. They are more than compensated for by a great car, which looks plenty good if you don't suffer from OCD.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

take away all the expensive performance R&D, actual parts, and warranty expensive built into the cars.

Focus everything on making the car overall better quality. Thats where the 40k benz comes.

If you want base corvette performance, and benz quality you gotta buy a 911. buy the turbo for Z performance.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 10-01-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: The General should be ashamed!