Road Trip - Three Annoying Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Road Trip - Three Annoying Lights

Greetings,

Recently traveled to San Francisco (from LA) and back in my 2016 Z51 Shark Gray (1LT package). Using Sport and Tour mode, I was able to achieve a whooping 29.6 MPG (not that I was trying). The car ran flawlessly and the comfort was an unexpected pleasure. I left at zero dark thirty and returned that early evening. Uhh, it was a family event that required "transportation services" (I had to haul a few things).

I don't have any complaints regarding the car - it ran perfectly, displayed excellent road manners and most important, fun to drive. Really fun to drive - I enjoyed every mile.

However, the trip was disappointing at night because of those three annoying lights on the rearview mirror. A bright white, red and blue (the Onstar lights).

I am curious to know if (besides putting a piece of black tape over the lights) there is someway to dim those lights. The interior light switch does not dim those three lights. It was very annoying.

Much thanks in advance and Semper Fi.

PS - Oh, a word for those who tailgate in California on the freeway...be warned. A Volkswagen rode my six o'clock for an eighth of a mile while I passed a very slow moving truck...you can guess who got pulled over.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Either your OnStar lights are brighter than my car's or your field of vision is greater than I have. Durring normal operation I do not notice them, and when actually using the mirror my mind blocks them and they don't bother me.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I think most of us agree with you about those annoying lights in the rearview mirror. That was a very poor design choice, especially since they cannot be dimmed. I run with fairly low instrument panel light at night in all of my vehicles because I travel often in rural deer infested areas and want the best night vision possible which means no bright interior lights.

The best solution I have seen is a small hole punch to cut out pieces of black tape just large enough to cover those annoying indicators. If you go this route use a good quality tape (3M should be good) that won't bleed adhesive with age. If someone finds a source of black cling plastic that adheres without adhesive that would be even better.

Whoever signed off on that mirror apparently never sat in the car at night; it was a boneheaded design decision. I put it up there with architects who design new public/commercial buildings in rainy areas with no door overhang or protected entrance ensuring that people will get wet lowering/raising their umbrella while entering/exiting and creating the perfect conditions to freeze these doors shut during icing conditions. For the most part the C7 is a beautiful blend simultaneously hitting form and function goals but those mirror indicators/functions miss on both counts.

And thank you for your service to the country!
Former USMC (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't find them distracting either as they are not in my field of vision.
However I am 5'8" perhaps they would be in a taller person's field of vision. I am guessing there is a way to turn them off with a fuse pull but that might disable other things on the mirror
Old 10-10-2016, 07:50 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
I don't find them distracting either as they are not in my field of vision.
However I am 5'8" perhaps they would be in a taller person's field of vision. I am guessing there is a way to turn them off with a fuse pull but that might disable other things on the mirror
Yes, I just pulled the fuse. Auto dim may not work but I did not like that either.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I like that hole punch idea!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

MIght be analagous to the old-- if I tell you not to think of the word "hippopotomus" that word will start coming to your mind when it shouldn't. Since I do not focus on those lites, I completely do not notice them. However, it I focused on those lites, they might become bothersome. Try ignoring those lites-if possible.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I think most of us agree with you about those annoying lights in the rearview mirror. That was a very poor design choice, especially since they cannot be dimmed. I run with fairly low instrument panel light at night in all of my vehicles because I travel often in rural deer infested areas and want the best night vision possible which means no bright interior lights.

The best solution I have seen is a small hole punch to cut out pieces of black tape just large enough to cover those annoying indicators. If you go this route use a good quality tape (3M should be good) that won't bleed adhesive with age. If someone finds a source of black cling plastic that adheres without adhesive that would be even better.

Whoever signed off on that mirror apparently never sat in the car at night; it was a boneheaded design decision. I put it up there with architects who design new public/commercial buildings in rainy areas with no door overhang or protected entrance ensuring that people will get wet lowering/raising their umbrella while entering/exiting and creating the perfect conditions to freeze these doors shut during icing conditions. For the most part the C7 is a beautiful blend simultaneously hitting form and function goals but those mirror indicators/functions miss on both counts.

And thank you for your service to the country!
Right it bothers a few people and it is a major design flaw. Get off your high horse and get real.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by green2000
Yes, I just pulled the fuse. Auto dim may not work but I did not like that either.
I too think they are to bright although I don't drive the vette at nigh very often. What number is the fuse and is it under hood or other. Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Yep, bothersome to me too. I don't do a lot of night driving tho. Hoping they will dim or turn off when my free OnStar expires.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

When I was driving to work today, I tried to put the my line of sight while I was driving and couldn't. I had to turn my head and look up for them to show up. Is is possible I drive more differently that you or have a narrower angle of vision? Confused since I want to help but can't figure out how you get it into your vision. Can you see them when you are looking though window to drive or when you look to the side?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I used a black grease pencil on mine. It comes off when you clean the mirror, but easy to apply again. I only clean the mirror every few months anyway, so not a pain.
The following 3 users liked this post by joemessman:
DickieDoo (10-11-2016), Former USMC (10-11-2016), NavyBlue2 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
hill536
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree we just took our 2016 LT3 1880 miles and finished off the trip driving at night. The car was comfortable and we managed 29.5 MPG. It's not as roomy as our C5, but more comfortable than our c6. its really a good car
At night the red and blue lights in the rearview mirror were annoying and in several cases I thought I had the police behind me.

I like the idea of the grease pencil !!!!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Bravo Flyer
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is another thread on this- some have suggested LED dimming tape:

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Ori...PJN665YS33XN96

I can't vouch for this since I haven't tried it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bravo Flyer:
Former USMC (10-11-2016), joemessman (10-10-2016), rockit1 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Former USMC
Greetings,

However, the trip was disappointing at night because of those three annoying lights on the rearview mirror. A bright white, red and blue (the Onstar lights).

I am curious to know if (besides putting a piece of black tape over the lights) there is someway to dim those lights. The interior light switch does not dim those three lights. It was very annoying.

When I first got mine, (2015 Z51 vert) I had exactly the same question. I found them incredibly annoying-a quick glance in my peripheral vision, and I thought the police were behind me. LOL

Eventually I got used to them and now don't notice them...
Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo Flyer

Thanks for the link, I've got several things around the house that these will work on.
The tow/haul light in the dash on my pickup does not dim either.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:27 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo Flyer

I use these in my home theater on various components and can vouch for their effectiveness.
Should work like a charm in the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip - Three Annoying Lights

Old 10-10-2016, 01:02 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

This is OnStar, pull over to the side of the road... and renew your membership
kitesurfer (10-12-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not an issue for me. I don't even notice them while driving at night.
vettman96 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 02:28 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

They don't bother me so not an issue.

If they did I would stop by a window tint shop and get a small scrap of tint and cut to fit.

Quick Reply: Road Trip - Three Annoying Lights