Sponsored by:

Brand new 2017 Corvette flooded

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Brand new 2017 Corvette flooded

Hello all. The 2017 Yellow LT2 Stingray I ordered in August arrived and I picked it up from the dealer on Oct. 3rd, drove it home and parked it in our underground condo garage. We had to evacuate due to Hurricane Matthew on the 5th and when we returned on the 10th we found it to be flooded; the storm surge came across about 300' of natural buffer between us and the building and was about 6' deep in the garage. I am waiting for Allstate/Copart Jax to pick it up today and will get some pics when there is light since the lights are still out.

Anyway, other than the car, what is covered by insurance? I want to know so I can be informed when dealing with the adjuster. I was told that since it was salt water the car is a total loss and I only have to pay my $250 deductible; however, I have a replacement policy so they should cover what it costs to get a new one on the road to include tax, registration, etc.

Finally, it appears some things were stolen such as personal items, cargo net (still in the bag), etc. Are those covered as well? And what about my car cover and removable top?

Thanks in advance for any help...Bob Z.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-16-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:39 AM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a bummer man sorry to hear that. You in Jacksonville?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I'm just curious why you did not drive it out also when you evacuated? Some insurance underwriters were willing to pay people's expenses for getting their cars outta there. More than enough to even have towed to somewhere safe.

Last edited by Flame Red; 10-14-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

I live on the beach, next to Marineland (on A1A) south of St. Augustine FL.

I have 4 vehicles and lost 3 of them. We used my wife's SUV to load up our important papers, some clothes & cats. I cannot sit for long due to back problems so we could take more than 1 vehicle. Many of us owners here thought our vehicles would be safer in the garage than outside where there was debris being blown around. We went to Destin since it was outside of the cone. Keep in mind that when we left the storm track took it directly over us as a CAT 4 so we thought we would have severe damage here and we needed to get on road before the millions that were also leaving. Luckily it stayed just off shore so the winds were just 90+ but the storm surge was not expected by anyone here.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Man - that totally sucks.

Best of luck getting it sorted out - what a terrible thing to happen to such a wonderful car.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

Yeah, could have been worse all around...no damage to our home.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I'm just curious why you did not drive it out also when you evacuated? Some insurance underwriters were willing to pay people's expenses for getting their cars outta there. More than enough to even have towed to somewhere safe.
I also live on A1A & my car is parked in an underground garage too. I've always left my car at the condo with no problems...my condo is about 50 feet from the ocean (there was a mix up when the condo was built...it's too close to the ocean). Anyways, I would never drive my car to evacuate...the stop and go driving would be murder on the clutch and there isn't much storage.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

You have to have "trust" with the insurance co. and would let them decide rather than seek numerous opinions which may or may not be accurate in trying to resolve the issue with your carrier.

I am sure the insurance company is dealing with hundreds if not thousands of claims due to Hurricane Matthew reference water damaged vehicles.

I am sure they will make a determination and treat you well and strictly according to the policy you have.

Sit back, don't formulate any adverse opinions and see what the insurance does.

Then come back to us and report the process and the outcome of the claim, so we can all learn unfortunately via your own personal experience.

My thought is the insurance company will do what's right and treat you well.

We all sincerely hope the outcome is favorable to you. There is no reason to wish otherwise.

The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:14 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

First of all, Sorry to hear abut your loss. It appears the Corvette should be covered under the comp portion of the policy and then just your comp deductible. Next, read your Auto Insurance Policy and its Endorsements. What does it say about accessories such as the cover and any personal property you may have had in or on the car. Some policies give some accessory coverage, some don't. You may have to go to your Homeowners Policy for personal property loss, but there is probably a Flood and Surface Water exclusion there. If so, do you carry a Flood Policy. Good Luck ...
Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Stop by a friends house yesterday near Stumpy Lake in VB. His house flooded and his next door neighbors beautiful, red C4 had water in the cupholders. Probably difficult for those who do not live in hurricane areas to understand. Many people have experienced hurricanes in their cars stopped on Interstates. You pretty much cant get out sometimes.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:28 PM
CaliforniaJed
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Hello all. The 2017 Yellow LT2 Stingray I ordered in August arrived and I picked it up from the dealer on Oct. 3rd, drove it home and parked it in our underground condo garage. We had to evacuate due to Hurricane Matthew on the 5th and when we returned on the 10th we found it to be flooded; the storm surge came across about 300' of natural buffer between us and the building and was about 6' deep in the garage. I am waiting for Allstate/Copart Jax to pick it up today and will get some pics when there is light since the lights are still out.

Anyway, other than the car, what is covered by insurance? I want to know so I can be informed when dealing with the adjuster. I was told that since it was salt water the car is a total loss and I only have to pay my $250 deductible; however, I have a replacement policy so they should cover what it costs to get a new one (that I have already ordered) on the road to include tax, registration, etc.

Finally, it appears some things were stolen such as personal items, cargo net (still in the bag), etc. Are those covered as well? And what about my car cover and removable top?

Ugh, sorry to hear that, man, but glad it was only property damage. Good luck with the claim.

CaliforniaJed
Old 10-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,297 Likes on 13,970 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to hear about the flood damage to your Vette. Hope the insurance company comes through for you and processes the claim fairly and quickly.

And good luck with the new one in the build process.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

I will let everyone here know what the outcome is but the claim is moving, albeit slowly. Copart Jax is coming soon to pick it up and hopefully I can take some pics. Since it is Yellow it really shows the mud! I read my policy and it looks like they will replace the car with no depreciation but I am not sure if they will also pay the sales tax, etc. I did file a police report for the missing items as per the adjuster's request so maybe I will get compensated for those and I know it is a comp claim with $250 deductible.

In the meantime I am shopping for a replacement bike, either another Super Blackbird or ZX-14...this is actually somewhat enjoyable.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Corvette-Master
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Your home owners policy should cover any loose items left in the car, discuss this with your agent.
The following users liked this post:
bigsapper (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette-Master
Your home owners policy should cover any loose items left in the car, discuss this with your agent.

Maybe, I actually have a "renters" policy since I live in a condo, even though I own my unit. The garage is underground but attached to my unit so I am not sure how that works but I am waiting to hear back from my agent. I do know that our HOA has a flood policy that only covers items in the garage that are attached to it, not personal items. Also, I have a $1k Hurricane deductible and $1k other loss deductible so I will have to determine if it is worth making a claim.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Anyway, other than the car, what is covered by insurance? I want to know so I can be informed when dealing with the adjuster. I was told that since it was salt water the car is a total loss and I only have to pay my $250 deductible; however, I have a replacement policy so they should cover what it costs to get a new one (that I have already ordered) on the road to include tax, registration, etc.

Bob any kind of water damage into the car on elec plugs. The should be a ins loss. On the taxes of the new one the ins co now pay you the taxes on top of the replacement of your car. So what the book is on your car then that tax amount on top.

As far as personal item I don't think they are covered. Are they wouldn't cover mine in a loss car that was stolen at a mall. Plus will not cover cash in the car if stolen.

Man hate to hear this about your car man. But it can be replace just glad everyone is ok.. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Brand new 2017 Corvette flooded

Old 10-15-2016, 11:43 AM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry for your loss, and glad that your family (cats too) are safe.

Last edited by ZMan64; 10-15-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

The adjuster told me that car is total loss due to salt water over the seats. The sticker was $65,275 so I am thinking they will pay that plus 6% sales tax. And what if I want to buy something else now?

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-16-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:51 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

The adjuster told me that car is total loss due to salt water over the seats. The sticker was $65,275 so I am thinking they will pay that plus 6% sales tax, no matter what I paid on Oct. 3rd when I bought it...hope I am right!
Sounds great, and as predicted the insurance took care of you.

Enjoy the new C7 when it comes in.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2017 Corvette flooded