C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs. 911 Motor Trend review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 02:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Are the tires on an non Z07 the same as the Z07?
I believe so, Sport Cup 2's.....I'm buying a set for my Z51 next spring, bigger and stickier than the MPS that comes from factory.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:43 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Me too, but I haven't seen anyone run that comparison. Same with the Z06, its usually tested on the track with Z07. It would be interesting to see how much difference the Z07 package makes on the same track.
Grand sport without the R-compound tires is probably very similar to a Stingray. It will be a little faster around a track because wider tires and likely be slightly slower in acceleration due to extra weight of wider wheels/tires and heavier brakes. But pretty close.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I doubt the Z07 package on the GS will make a substantial difference.
The LT1 doesn't have the power of the LT4 and won't be able to utilize the added downforce of the Z07 quite as well.
By comparison, the LT4's ungodly amounts of power can make the Z07 option more advantageous on-track.
The Z06's main weakness is not enough grip to handle the engine's output...more downforce helps generate more grip (front & rear).
Considering the aero benefits really only come into play well after the Z06 is past "light up the tires" speed that's not really true at all.

Last edited by village idiot; 11-11-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:26 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I doubt the Z07 package on the GS will make a substantial difference.
The LT1 doesn't have the power of the LT4 and won't be able to utilize the added downforce of the Z07 quite as well.
By comparison, the LT4's ungodly amounts of power can make the Z07 option more advantageous on-track.
The Z06's main weakness is not enough grip to handle the engine's output...more downforce helps generate more grip (front & rear).
Well, I am just agreeing with the person I quoted that I would like to see actual tests rather than theories. Also, I don't think the Z07 changes the aero on the GS. You add the Aero kit separately as I recall.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes, i miss the "coast down" measurements that Car and Driver used to do. I still recall how they compared the 1982 Camaro to the 1982 Trans Am to show that the TA needed 0.5 less hp to maintain 50 mph. This would be revealing on the GS with Stage II aero veruss Z06 with STAGE 3
Old 11-12-2016, 02:01 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Considering the aero benefits really only come into play well after the Z06 is past "light up the tires" speed that's not really true at all.
You are confusing "aero" with downforce.
Aero = slipperiness (least resistance) going thru air.
Downforce = the force that pushes the car down onto the driving surface.
These 2 things are not the same.

Originally Posted by djnice
Also, I don't think the Z07 changes the aero on the GS. You add the Aero kit separately as I recall.
The Z07 package is primarily concerned with downforce...something that is VITAL to track performance.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:26 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

You are confusing "aero" with downforce.
Aero = slipperiness (least resistance) going thru air.
Downforce = the force that pushes the car down onto the driving surface.
These 2 things are not the same.

The Z07 package is primarily concerned with downforce...something that is VITAL to track performance.
lol not exactly.
aero = aerodynamics = behavior of the vehicle with relation to airflow. That includes drag, lift, downforce, etc.

downforce is a component of aerodyanmics
drag is another is another (though technically, downforce is just drag in the up down direction)
From a practical matter, increasing downforce almost always increases "drag" (as used in day to day terms- front to back drag).

downforce is far from "vital" to the Z07's or Grandsport's performance. I'm willing to bet there is relatively small difference in performance without aero package (all the downforce stuff). If you start getting to ACR levels of downforce, it becomes more noticeable, but going from Z51 to Z06 package grandsport +95% of the lap speed improvement is wider stickier tires.

In any event, relating to my post, the Z06 isn't going to take much more advantage, if any, of the aero package/increased downforce than the GS. IE: if you put the same stuff on the GS and Z06, it would probably help them both almost exactly the same amount.
The following users liked this post:
angryBits (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:28 AM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Grand sport without the R-compound tires is probably very similar to a Stingray. It will be a little faster around a track because wider tires and likely be slightly slower in acceleration due to extra weight of wider wheels/tires and heavier brakes. But pretty close.
So there's little advantage to getting the GS without the Z07 package, compared to the Stingray? I thought the GS had upgraded springs, chassis, and sway bars compared to the regular Stingray.

I'm trying to make up my mind right now between a GS without the Z07 and a Stingray with mag ride and performance exhaust. A little information along these lines would vastly help.

How much better would a GS without the Z07 package handle compare to a Stingray w/ mag ride? Not interested in cosmetic differences since both look great.

Edit: I'm so vitally interested in this right now I am considering starting a thread entitled, "Handling differences between regular Stingray w/mag ride vs. Grand Sport without Z07 package."

However, I'm afraid it might be redundant. I could pick up a Stingray w/ mag ride right now if the differences between this a GS without Z07 are minimal.

Last edited by dead of night; 11-12-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:48 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Sorry - to be clear, I'm comparing the cars assuming they have the same suspension (mag ride, etc).

The GS will perform better on the track, even without R compounds, because of the wider tires. It will make a difference, but not a huge difference, if you're sticking with street tires. With Rcompound it will be a bigger difference.
Also, if you're running r compound, you'll probably start stressing the Z51 brakes a good bit. If I was running r compounds, I'd definitely want the bigger 6 piston brakes of the grand sport.

In short, IMO, if you're not doing any track time, stingray for sure
If you're running on the track on street tires only, probably Z51
If you're going to run r-compounds, grandsport for sure.
dead of night (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 12:28 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS
Ridiculous posts like this only makes sense to those who are a slave to tradition, unable to think for themselves, and have no understanding of physics. Par for the course.
Wow really? I am an engineer and actually have a minor in physics.

In any case, physics has nothing to do with my reasoning against AWD.

Some of us just prefer the dynamics of a RWD car, and for a lot of us (not all) that is one of the reasons we choose a Corvette.

Some cars are just meant to be RWD, such as an M3 (now M4) will likely not become an AWD car.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:45 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Sorry - to be clear, I'm comparing the cars assuming they have the same suspension (mag ride, etc).
Not the same suspension. GS has the Z06 hardware plus other bits such as chassis stiffening, brakes and cooling.

Also, wider tires is more grip, but wider body helps the car keep a more stable center of gravity in the turns. Lower and wider are huge benefits for cornering.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:51 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by dead of night
I thought the GS had upgraded springs, chassis, and sway bars compared to the regular Stingray.
^ yes, and more, see my prev post.

I'm trying to make up my mind right now between a GS without the Z07 and a Stingray with mag ride and performance exhaust. A little information along these lines would vastly help.

How much better would a GS without the Z07 package handle compare to a Stingray w/ mag ride? Not interested in cosmetic differences since both look great.

Edit: I'm so vitally interested in this right now I am considering starting a thread entitled, "Handling differences between regular Stingray w/mag ride vs. Grand Sport without Z07 package."

However, I'm afraid it might be redundant. I could pick up a Stingray w/ mag ride right now if the differences between this a GS without Z07 are minimal.
If you're not interested in looks, then I'd say there's little difference on the street.

If you decide to go Z07, then it has carbon ceramic brakes which last much much longer than traditional rotors and way less brake dust which is a nice perk.

You'll love any corvette but I'd say go big and get the GS.
If you dont care about the brakes, skip the Z07 and upgrade to the z07 tires yourself later.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:39 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

lol not exactly.
aero = aerodynamics = behavior of the vehicle with relation to airflow. That includes drag, lift, downforce, etc.

downforce is a component of aerodyanmics
drag is another is another (though technically, downforce is just drag in the up down direction)
From a practical matter, increasing downforce almost always increases "drag" (as used in day to day terms- front to back drag).

downforce is far from "vital" to the Z07's or Grandsport's performance. I'm willing to bet there is relatively small difference in performance without aero package (all the downforce stuff).
If you start getting to ACR levels of downforce, it becomes more noticeable, but going from Z51 to Z06 package grandsport +95% of the lap speed improvement is wider stickier tires.
It affects top speed pretty good.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:50 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Like you cannot imagine.

I've raced a few Z06's with the Z07 package. I just start to pull away slowly and then at 120mph its like they let off the gas.

If I was buying a dead stock car and leaving it dead stock, the 911S really does look impressive.

But I didn't buy the C7 just because it was cheaper than a 911 but because for minimal money I could do what I did with it, 8K and almost 750hp in an extremely reliable package.

Can't do that with a 911 unless your starting with a Turbo and screwing the warranty on a very expensive powertrain. I did not worry about he PT in the C7 because in relative terms its cheap and reliable.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:00 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
Yeah, probably. Another drawback I guess.

I was expecting some pretty awesome mpg with the C7 over my C6. It's about the same or maybe even worse despite direct injection, 7th gear and DoD, and I only have the Z51 package. I do have a splitter and side skirts though.

I also cruise around 80mph, so aero is a bigger deal.

Last edited by village idiot; 11-12-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:05 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by angryBits
Wow really? I am an engineer and actually have a minor in physics.

In any case, physics has nothing to do with my reasoning against AWD.

Some of us just prefer the dynamics of a RWD car, and for a lot of us (not all) that is one of the reasons we choose a Corvette.

Some cars are just meant to be RWD, such as an M3 (now M4) will likely not become an AWD car.
Yeah, I really don't want AWD. I've driven AWD, FWD and RWD on the track. I enjoy RWD.

I actually enjoy front engine RWD the most, but it's because I'm most comfortable with it. Hell, I even enjoy a my crappy slow Miata over my Z51 on the track even though I'm nearly 20 seconds faster in the Z51. It's all preference. You never realize how terrifying 450 (or 650) hp is until you start driving a really slow car hard. Then you realize how much you leave on the table with a fast car.

Anyway, I don't like AWD. I really don't like weight. I don't like its driving properties. I dont like its complexity.

Last edited by village idiot; 11-12-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:52 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I believe both the La Ferrari and the P1 are rear wheel drive, so clearly AWD is not critical if the chassis dynamics are sound, or you work in some crafty engineering like rear wheel steering that the 911 has.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

At the end of the day, a good, relatively balanced car coming out of a turn should have the front tires screaming, so it's not like they are going to put a lot of power down anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs. 911 Motor Trend review

Old 11-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Ivan Viera
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Corvette team has hit the sweet spot with the GS. MT and Randy really like the handling, first time i hear Randy said that a C7 puts the power down well.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

So there's little advantage to getting the GS without the Z07 package, compared to the Stingray? I thought the GS had upgraded springs, chassis, and sway bars compared to the regular Stingray.

To make it simple; the GS (nonZ07) pulls 1.05 G's a Z06 (nonZ07) 1.05 G's. They have the same brakes.
A GS/Z07 pulls 1.2 G's as does a Z06/7. They both have CC Brakes.

FYI the difference between 1.05 and 1.20 G's is vast.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 11-13-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:09 PM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
To make it simple; the GS (nonZ07) pulls 1.05 G's a Z06 (nonZ07) 1.05 G's. They have the same brakes.
A GS/Z07 pulls 1.2 G's as does a Z06/7. They both have CC Brakes.

FYI the difference between 1.05 and 1.20 G's is vast.
What does a Stingray with mag ride pull?

Quick Reply: GS vs. 911 Motor Trend review