C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got into it with a C6 Camaro SS today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
My 98 4th gen Camaro 1LE was only 3250 lbs and my 2001 C5Z was about 3200. The Camaro had the LS1 which dynoed 15 rwhp over the same year (98) Corvettes) even though it was rated 10 hp less. In 98 we had a California State Autocross Championship. Ran one event up North and then ran one at Buttonwillow Raceway. To make it an Autox they coned off some of the track out sections and put a chicane in the straight. There were 23 Corvettes entered in SCCAs SStock class. We had 5 FStock FBodies up North in the first event. I was lucky enough to win FS in the first event. At Buttonwillow I was the only F Body entered in FS. My FStock winning time would have placed me 4th of the 23 Corvettes had I run in SS. Admittedly it was one of those magic runs where everything happens perfectly but still it proved to me that for the Early C5s and late C4s the 4th Gen Camaros were as good as they were.

Now the 5th Gen Camaro got really porky so no comparison there. The 6th Gen is lighter, albeit heavier than the C7, but with basically the same motor and weight within shouting distance again the Camaro is a worthy alternative to a Corvette. 17 brings the 1LE, unlike my 98, it will allow some options. 17 also will bring the ZL1. Now I don't expect that to be faster or handle better than the Z06 but it will be close. 18 brings the Z28. That, like the ZR1, is pure speculation, but will they have the same motor? Will it be the rumored TT 4.2 L V8? Who knows but it is a good time to be a Chebby guy.

Typically in my experience in a drag race a 4th gen(Z28) with the same trans as the C5 would out run it. On a dyno the C5 seemed to dyno a tad less to. Maybe due to the IRS
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DuvalVette
Just shocked that Chevy would make the Camaro so close in power and performance to it's flagship model.
Originally Posted by DuvalVette
Don't get me wrong. They are badass. Test drove a fully loaded 2SS A8 and almost bought it for an insane price (38k out the door - insane). Drove the Vette rght after and just fell in love. Wish I could have both. I just think they look wayyy too much like the gen 5s. The common person will have a hard time noticing. I think they look sweet though.

And to everyone else's point, I just think GM should have put a little more distance between the maro and the vette in terms of power and performance. Just my opinion. The looks of the vette kill though.
Y'all are missing something incredibly obvious.
1) The Camaro still has to compete with the Mustang.
2) The C7 has still been selling at nearly record Corvette levels.

The Corvette will get more power as sales of the C7 start to slow down and the Camaro will get more power as it needs to compete with the Mustang.

And a little history. In 1969 Chevy built one of the most bad-*** engines of all time. The ZL1. They built 2 production Corvettes with it and 69 Camaros with it. Somehow the Corvette managed to survive.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I'm a huge Camaro fan. Have owned several over the years. Here's a pic of my 13 2SS/RS 1LE. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in my opinion, the 5th gen, especially 10-13, was the "one bright and shining moment" for the Camaro since the 69. It's a muscle car, as it was intended to be. I was at the sixth gen release, drove the sixth gen on several occasions and I just didn't like it. Its like driving a corvette SUV. I can't stand the look, the height and I couldn't justify the price. So I came over to join the Corvette family. I can't argue the performance of the 6th gen 1LE, but in order for me to pay for a car, it has to be pleasing to the eye. Maybe the 7th gen will win me back, but until then, my 5th gen and C7 are best of breed in my eyes.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LT4CMG; 10-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Got into it with a C6 Camaro SS today...