C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I took my C7 in for screen problems reprogram, then it messed up leaving the lot

Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default So I took my C7 in for screen problems reprogram, then it messed up leaving the lot

So I have a 14 and the screen is doing funky stuff so I brought it in and the service writer says that is a common problem and it just need a program update. I was concerned that wouldn't fix it after reading comments here.

But they were nice and gave me a loaner car and everything so i thought I would give the benefit of the doubt.

Sure enough when I was leaving the dealership just out of the parking lot it glitched again. not as bad mind you but it did. So I sighed turned around and took it back and told the service writer what it was doing but it wasn't doing it when I got back to the lot. .

Thankfully another service writer said the screen on the 14 has to be replaced if it has that problem which made me feel better. So I asked my service writer if it doesn't mess up for the tech will you still replace the screen since I only have 2 months left of warranty. Inotherwords will you take my word for it that it was acting up and he said I don't think that should be a problem.

I guess I wondering if this happened to any of ya'll? I just don't want to go down the road and then the screen will really start to mess up again like it was when my warranty has expired.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 10-19-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Know what you mean. Although I haven't had any issues but I certainly have to agree about the electronics vehicles have now, especially Corvettes. Looking maybe 10 or 20 years in the future I see those who can't or won't buy new vehicles as being pretty much screwed. Boneyards (junkyards) will go away so DIY will as well. Bottom lime, in spite of all the nice things electronics are often way overwhelming. Smooze the dealer or stop by CVS on the way.ImyuHO

Last edited by vbdenny; 10-19-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Know what you mean. Although I haven't had any issues but I certainly have to agree about the electronics vehicles have now, especially Corvettes. Looking maybe 10 or 20 years in the future I see those who can't or won't buy new vehicles as being pretty much screwed. Boneyards (junkyards) will go away so DIY will as well. Bottom lime, in spite of all the nice things electronics are often way overwhelming. Smooze the dealer or stop by CVS on the way.ImyuHO
Lol I was being very nice and in fairness so was he. I just hope they will do the right thing. They did fix the top that made a popping noise when it is hot that a member here told me about. This site rocks it really does.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My problem was just a loose connection......
Old 10-20-2016, 01:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope they will stand by their statement and replace your screen. Did they actually order the part?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 AM
Corvette-Master
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if you have it documented that you brought the car in for that issue while still under warranty they should honor it later.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Hope they will stand by their statement and replace your screen. Did they actually order the part?
don't know yet. The mechanic that does works on it was busy on another car. Will update when they call me.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette-Master
if you have it documented that you brought the car in for that issue while still under warranty they should honor it later.
I hope you're right.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
So I have a 14 and the screen is doing funky stuff so I brought it in and the service writer says that is a common problem and it just need a program update. I was concerned that wouldn't fix it after reading comments here.

Sure enough when I was leaving the dealership just out of the parking lot it glitched again. not as bad mind you but it did. So I sighed turned around and took it back and told the service writer what it was doing but it wasn't doing it when I got back to the lot. .

Thankfully another service writer said the screen on the 14 has to be replaced if it has that problem which made me feel better. So I asked my service writer if it doesn't mess up for the tech will you still replace the screen since I only have 2 months left of warranty. Inotherwords will you take my word for it that it was acting up and he said I don't think that should be a problem.

I guess I wondering if this happened to any of ya'll? I just don't want to go down the road and then the screen will really start to mess up again like it was when my warranty has expired.
I'm trying to determine if this is the same problem everyone is experiencing and are getting a replacement. I get this screen flutter you see here when I shift to reverse (M7) and when I mirror my IPhone using NavTool. I disconnected the NavTool and it still does it. So I believe it's somehow tied to just the video input portion, BECAUSE, everything is fine (no fluttering at all) when all the other screen views (i.e., icons, radio information, etc.) are selected. So in my video here you'll see the flutter at the beginning when I first shift into reverse and then it disappears on several other attempts to recreate. Sooo, is this what you/anyone else are experiencing and getting the replacements for?
THANKS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hoZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
I'm trying to determine if this is the same problem everyone is experiencing and are getting a replacement. I get this screen flutter you see here when I shift to reverse (M7) and when I mirror my IPhone using NavTool. I disconnected the NavTool and it still does it. So I believe it's somehow tied to just the video input portion, BECAUSE, everything is fine (no fluttering at all) when all the other screen views (i.e., icons, radio information, etc.) are selected. So in my video here you'll see the flutter at the beginning when I first shift into reverse and then it disappears on several other attempts to recreate. Sooo, is this what you/anyone else are experiencing and getting the replacements for?
THANKS!

that is the problem I am having but mine happens on every screen reverse, phone, audio, even nav.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Mine messed up once. I told the dealer about it and they ordered a new screen without even looking at it. To me that's great service.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

THANKS!

Yes that's the problem, mine was replaced and no more issues!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Thanks everyone!! Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future!!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Gix, since another service writer told you it needed to be replaced I would think you should be good to go. I'd take it back, and talk to that one service writer. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

just got a message he said problem was the computer didn't take the update so he just loaded it again. Why wouldn't he check that in the first place.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Per Chevy, dealerships have to first try the reflash, then when that doesn't work, they're allowed to order the replacement screen under warranty coverage.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kracka
Per Chevy, dealerships have to first try the reflash, then when that doesn't work, they're allowed to order the replacement screen under warranty coverage.
that's where I am now. He reflashed again using a flash drive instead of a laptop. Because the laptop flash didn't take. I guess he didn't check that before releasing the car.

Get notified of new replies

To So I took my C7 in for screen problems reprogram, then it messed up leaving the lot

Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Went to the dealer yesterday afternoon and they did the airbag recall software update and the HMI module software update that is supposed to fix the screen issue (yes, they try this first to see if this fixes it, especially since mine seems to be just a partial problem with the rear camera video and the IPhone mirroring from the NavTool). So I hooked the NavTool back up and and programmed Google Maps to take me to work this morning and so far, NO screen flutter. We'll see how it does on the way home.

Last edited by monicatomokc; 10-21-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had to have mine replaced twice and the dealer did it no questions asked. I used to put a bunch of stuff in the cubby so I was raising and lowering the screen a lot. Moved that stuff out and now rarely lower the screen and the problems haven't recurred in 6 months. Knock on wood...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Went to the dealer yesterday afternoon and they did the airbag recall software update and the HMI module software update that is supposed to fix the screen issue (yes, they try this first to see if this fixes it, especially since mine seems to be just a partial problem with the rear camera video and the IPhone mirroring from the NavTool). So I hooked the NavTool back up and and programmed Google Maps to take me to work this morning and so far, NO screen flutter. We'll see how it does on the way home.
Trip home did not go as well. Screen flutter is still there. Looked at the SB (attached), and I really don't see anything here that addresses the problem. I even went so far as to have my wife stare at the screen while I moved all the connectors at the bottom of the HMI module. The HMI module would have been so easy to replace. So I guess it really is in the screen system itself and they'll have to dig into the dash now. Oh well...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
SB-1screen.pdf (139.1 KB, 260 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I took my C7 in for screen problems reprogram, then it messed up leaving the lot