Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Favorite driving mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:58 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

From what I understand, if you just select Tr on selector and not go in and make fine adjustments your in a "wet" mode. So you will have more nannies working for you.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 AM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

^Those without Z51 w/ magride will not have Performance Traction Management modes, the sub-modes for Tr mode.

Even with a fully equipped car, going into Tr mode is just the same as non-PTM cars. It's when you tap the traction button twice does it activate PTM and put you into Wet Track mode (which is still different than the Weather driving mode).

Last edited by joemosfet; 10-22-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

On the street I run in Tour, Eco or Wet. Exhaust is set to track mode unless my wife is with me then I set it to Stealth. Sport mode is sort of a waste of a position on the dial. I don't run in track mode on the street unless I have a dealer mechanic with me and we are trying to find the source of rattles. Track mode over bumpy, ripply pavement rattles your teeth along with anything else that might not be tight.

On track it is set in Track Mode with either the Wet sub mode or Race Sub Mode. I started by using Wet and Sport 1 but then moved to Sport 2 and now that I am familiar with the car just set it to Race. I will use Wet mode on a cold morning when the track and tires are cold but after 5 or 6 laps where I can get straight speeds up over 100 mph so the tires get warm I switch to Race Mode.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-23-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:22 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Question Joemosfet?

Originally Posted by joemosfet
My favorite mode is Track. It keeps the back end from breaking free under hard acceleration, and corners feel tight as tigers. But I don't often drive in Track, it is a very bumpy ride, and i hear you can even bend a rim on some potholes where in sport or tour mode you would not.

My most used mode is Sport, but I always park it and warm it up in touring mode. Eco mode for the highway, though since I no longer have 4-cyl mode, what's the point....

I keep the NPP exhaust linked to the drive mode, but I use my mirror selector switch to override it, so even in Sport, I can keep the exhaust fully closed 100% of the time, or in tour mode I can quickly force the exhaust open 100% of the time.
Joemosfet

How do you "use [your] mirror selector switch to override it?" Is that a factory feature or an after market option?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:21 PM
netster
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I run touring or sport for normal everyday driving with the exhaust and steering set to track. When it's wet, I definitely use wet mode. Since I have MSRC, I don't generally run track mode, but I have on occasion. As others have stated, track is too harsh for street.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
orwollma
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
Touring for around town and Highway driving
sport for fun curvy mountain roads.
weather for when the roads are wet
Old 10-22-2016, 06:16 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by MikalMuh
Joemosfet

How do you "use [your] mirror selector switch to override it?" Is that a factory feature or an after market option?

Thanks.
I use the DashLogic DashControl unit for the C7. It allows me to show any PID on the dash, including boost. I went this route instead of a discreet boost gauge. It can set chime and display warnings for any of the pids (think shift indicator, or knock warning).

One of the features of the unit is the ability to override the car's exhaust decisions. Left mirror selected = exhaust open 100% of the time. Right mirror = closed. Middle position: let the car decide (based on your exhaust settings on the stereo)

It's a simple install, only plugs into the ODBII port, and when removed, leaves no trace that it was ever there.

Last edited by joemosfet; 10-22-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
I use the DashLogic DashControl unit for the C7. It allows me to show any PID on the dash, including boost. I went this route instead of a discreet boost gauge. It can set chime and display warnings for any of the pids (think shift indicator, or knock warning).

One of the features of the unit is the ability to override the car's exhaust decisions. Left mirror selected = exhaust open 100% of the time. Right mirror = closed. Middle position: let the car decide (based on your exhaust settings on the stereo)

It's a simple install, only plugs into the ODBII port, and when removed, leaves no trace that it was ever there.
Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like a good option for accessing and controlling features. I may look into it for myself.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Joe, I thought that was a typo until your explanation.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-23-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:54 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I drive mine in Sport mode unless I am on a long road trip, and in that case I use Tour mode.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you don't have MSRC, there is no mode difference in handling or ride quality. Your car is basically in a softer version of the MSRC equivalent of Tour mode all the time.

In a MSRC car, switching to Track mode would be the equivalent of changing the shocks in a non-MSRC car to very stiff, heavy-duty, racing shocks.

I didn't realize until late in this thread that people are obviously comparing apples to oranges with regard to differences in the mode settings.
It would be useful from here on out for people to indicate whether they have MSRC or not. If I didn't have MSRC, I might be in Track or Sport mode all the time as well.

If you're an all-the-time Track mode fan in a non-MSRC car, you have no idea how bone-jarring the ride is in Track mode in a MSRC car on less than perfect pavement.
Yes, exactly.

It didn't occur to me until later in this thread, that many of the Sport and Track mode all the time folks didn't have MSRC cars and didn't realize how dramatic the difference was in terms of suspension stiffness between modes.
MSRC or not?
CJ and Ozark,

MSRC or not?
This was originally a two part question to include whether one had MSRC or not.

I assumed this being more of an enthusiast community, the majority of members had it.

I decided against it in the beginning because I feel the inclusion of MSRC muddies the waters. I wanted to keep it simple, so I avoided it.

I figured at some point in the thread it would be brought up, and was surprised you didn't catch it on your first post. At your your request (insistence), I edited my original post to include MSRC.

Now, I feel we need to ask whether the car is a base model, has the Z51 option, is a Z06, or Grand Sport.

Last edited by L8ter; 10-23-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Foosh (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:23 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I'm going to have to try Track Mode. I don't have mag ride either. I use Sport only unless it is raining and then use Weather. But I just drive the bjesus out mine and I might as well give Track a try. I know the steering will stiffen, but other than that we'll see when I get on it tomorrow. I want to feel a more responsive throttle response. I know my Borla Xpipe pops on my A8 gear shifts when I floor it in Sport mode and not in Tour mode. I may hear an even more pronounced pop in Track mode. We shall see and I'll report back with my findings. I can't wait!
I ran my machine in Track mode yesterday and noticed a significant throttle difference compared to Sport mode. Track holds the RPMs up after throttle release for a longer period of time, and the thrust of WOT is more responsive. The steering is a little stiffer, which I prefer. So in summary, its Track mode for me going forward. No pun intended.
Oh, and no mag ride on mine.

Last edited by joemessman; 10-23-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM
OzarkCorvetteGuy
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Foosh I'll plead ignorance here I don't even know what MSRC is since I saw this thread I'm gonna look and see if I have it. I'm an old guy that's on first Vette and excited as a kid and Christmas and willing to learn at 62.
Foosh (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L8ter
This was originally a two part question to include whether one had MSRC or not.

I assumed this being more of an enthusiast community, the majority of members had it.

I decided against it in the beginning because I feel the inclusion of MSRC muddies the waters. I wanted to keep it simple, so I avoided it.

I figured at some point in the thread it would be brought up, and was surprised you didn't catch it on your first post. At your your request (insistence), I edited my original post to include MSRC.

Now, I feel we need to ask whether the car is a base model, has the Z51 option, is a Z06, or Grand Sport.
Agreed, people are answering the question on this thread based upon comparing apples to oranges. If I had a non-MSRP car, I'd be in Sport or Track mode all the time for the preferred steering response and throttle mapping. Since suspension settings do not change in non-MSRC cars, there's no reason not to.

In my MSRC car and given road conditions in my area, I'm far more often in Tour mode, and sometimes Sport on better roads. The MSRC suspension setting in Track is far too harsh for my road conditions.

The ONLY way to accurately evaluate the choices here is to know whether someone has an MSRC car or not. I don't think whether it's a Z51, GS, or Z06 matters as much, because the MSRC on all 3 is going to have a similar effect.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:07 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

I run Tour mode most often, and a little Sport and Track. Depends on where I am with my Grand Sport and how good the road is that I'm traveling on. I absolutely love this feature....its incredible how easy it is to change the "personality" of your car simply by twisting the ****!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Vetteram
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Sport 98% of the time, track 2%. Fuse 42 pulled.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:16 PM
martybmw
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I run in Sport mode 99% of the time by choice and since my last re-flash for the airbags the transmission will only run in Sport. At first I thought their was a problem as the gauge cluster would not change when I put the Trans in a different mode. Got an appointment end of the week so will be interesting to see what the dealership comes up with. Cant complain as this is my favorite mode just don't have access to the different gauges.

Get notified of new replies

To Favorite driving mode?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 616 Posts

i really like the ability to set the steering independent of the driving mode. That's the one aspect I like to remain constant. personally like sport steering.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:55 PM
davids2005ssr
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default driving mode

sport all the way
Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by martybmw
I run in Sport mode 99% of the time by choice and since my last re-flash for the airbags the transmission will only run in Sport. At first I thought their was a problem as the gauge cluster would not change when I put the Trans in a different mode. Got an appointment end of the week so will be interesting to see what the dealership comes up with. Cant complain as this is my favorite mode just don't have access to the different gauges.
You're not putting the transmission in a different mode. The mode selector controls a number of systems unrelated to the transmission.

Quick Reply: Favorite driving mode?