C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C7 a disposable car if in a crash? It just might be.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:34 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by avatardt
I am an auto adjuster, and if the vehicle manufacturer/ICAR have instructions for sectioning a frame(what you are describing as clipping), then that is a valid repair.

To the statement that the frame is un-repairable and would total the vehicle, that comes down to dollars and cents. A new or used frame can be used, and generally runs about 25 hours of repair time and anywhere from 2k to 6k cost for the part. That is going to bring the repair to anywhere from 6-10k, and on a 40k car, its getting a new frame, and repaired(depending on what else is damaged)
This is exactly why you don't use your insurance if you are at fault. If you told me you were going to use anything but new parts, I would say bullshit and sick my company on you.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
This is exactly why you don't use your insurance if you are at fault. If you told me you were going to use anything but new parts, I would say bullshit and sick my company on you.
I would suggest you check your insurance policy. I am not aware of any company that does not use "recycled parts" Some companies may have a rider on there policy that you pay extra for to only get new parts(I have heard of this, never seen it).

If you have a 2014 Corvette, how is your insurance company using a frame from another 2014 Corvette not ok? The part on your car was not new?

Your statement contradicts its self. You say you don't use your own company, and your next sentence says you would use your company to proceed with a subrogation of the repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by avatardt:
Ernest_T (10-21-2016), Hamirvette (12-28-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

A lot of times frame damage is considered salvage, I would not drive a frame damaged salvaged titled car.

Last edited by themonk; 10-20-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I would suggest you check your insurance policy. I am not aware of any company that does not use "recycled parts" Some companies may have a rider on there policy that you pay extra for to only get new parts(I have heard of this, never seen it).
I have a rider on my Nationwide policy for all my vehicles that specifies only new, OEM parts.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I am an auto adjuster, and if the vehicle manufacturer/ICAR have instructions for sectioning a frame(what you are describing as clipping), then that is a valid repair.
I think you missed this link, which was in post #9 above. GM does not recognize "clipping" as an approved frame repair.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/2833/non-approv...ars-and-trucks
Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 AM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Gm has repair methods for the entire frame components on the C7. There's info down to the mm length of welds required, wire to use and 3D dimensions. I think the trucks use a complete frame replacement as there's no parts in sections like the vette.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dj92GTA:
Boiler_81 (10-21-2016), Corvette-Master (10-21-2016), Foosh (10-22-2016), JerryU (10-25-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have a 2014 Corvette, how is your insurance company using a frame from another 2014 Corvette not ok? The part on your car was not new?

Your statement contradicts its self. You say you don't use your own company, and your next sentence says you would use your company to proceed with a subrogation of the repair.
I have a standard policy and it says recycled parts are okay if they meet new parts standards. It only applies to things like body panels and such. If they had to replace a part like a trans-axle, it'd have to be new.I did not pay extra for the new parts or OEM only rider which was available.
The following users liked this post:
EcoBrick Bob (12-28-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Master
My personal Lawyer is dealing with a case from Allstate where an insured was hit by an un insured motorist and Allstate is refusing to pay the claim. They took Allstate to court and a judge ordered Allstate to pay the claim and that was two months ago and Allstate is still refusing to pay.
Allstate is ridiculous.

When my motorcycle accident occurred 4+ years ago, the initial estimate on repairing the ~2 year old bike was ~$8K. The BB value of the bike at the time was just over $10K. Not only did they approve for the repairs (instead of totaling the bike), the approved two (I think three, actually) supplements that, in the end, costed them over $13K ... to fix a bike worth $10K.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Clipping is a frame repair. The frame is cut and the damaged section removed and a new section is Clipped / welded in.
That may be what you mean when you say Clipping but the TSB clearly defines what they mean by Clipping and it doesn't coincide with your meaning. The service manual has a section on Collision Repair that includes repairs to the frame rails and how to weld cast aluminum. The instructions tell where and how to cut the frame to replace a damaged section. Check pages 3-68 through 3-103 in the 2015 FSM for the appropriate information.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Boiler_81 (10-21-2016), Foosh (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

To the statement that the frame is un-repairable and would total the vehicle, that comes down to dollars and cents. A new or used frame can be used, and generally runs about 25 hours of repair time and anywhere from 2k to 6k cost for the part. That is going to bring the repair to anywhere from 6-10k, and on a 40k car, its getting a new frame, and repaired(depending on what else is damaged)
How in the world could you replace the frame on a C7 in 25 hours? That is literally impossible. It takes Bowling Green 34 hours to build a C7. You're talking about STRIPPING all the parts off the old frame, and then assembling ALL the components on the new frame.

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-21-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

When in an accident and someone else is at fault, YOU are not bound by the terms of YOUR policy (since it is not the one paying) *or* theirs (assuming it is not the same company). That's why the option to take them to court is available. Neither State nor Federal law mandate that plaintiff's recovery is limited to only what the defendant's insurance policy provides.*

Your OWN insurance company is paying? You've agreed, in writing, to accept the terms, so you're likely stuck.

The other driver's insurance company is covering the damage? YOU did not agree to their terms prior to the accident, so the defendant's insurance company may and sometimes does go beyond the proscribed remedies in their policy to avoid a costly court date. Of course, their 1st response to you is to try to make you believe *you* are bound by *their* policy "restrictions" on what parts will be used and how replacements are made -- "Well, Mr Smith, the policy of our insured who hit you only allows for generic or used auto parts, so I'm afraid that's all our company will cover on your repair. But trust me, they only use 'good' parts, so there's nothing to worry about -- you won't be able to tell the difference! Just sign here on this settlement agreement, and we'll get the ball rolling on your repair and get you back on the road."... LOL

*Note: So-called "No Fault" state laws can change the above, so it isn't always simple, depending on your state.

Last edited by Kent1999; 10-21-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

This is the point I tried to make in post 16. It is clear, GM's definition of clipping is not what the OP is talking about.

There is no way I would want a car which had been rebuilt per GM's definition. That method if for the guys who are rebuilding salvage titled cars. No thanks.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That may be what you mean when you say Clipping but the TSB clearly defines what they mean by Clipping and it doesn't coincide with your meaning. The service manual has a section on Collision Repair that includes repairs to the frame rails and how to weld cast aluminum. The instructions tell where and how to cut the frame to replace a damaged section. Check pages 3-68 through 3-103 in the 2015 FSM for the appropriate information.

Bill

Last edited by Boiler_81; 10-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
How in the world could you replace the frame on a C7 in 25 hours? That is literally impossible. It takes Bowling Green 34 hours to build a C7. You're talking about STRIPPING all the parts off the old frame, and then assembling ALL the components on the new frame.
Very true and that is what most manufacturers do to their dealers.

They require them to honor warranty repairs and then reimburse them for less than the actual cost of doing the repair. That is why some dealers try to avoid warranty work if at all possible.

It really is a business decision by GM that makes this kind of stuff happen, and they are after all a for profit company, not a charity.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
Very true and that is what most manufacturers do to their dealers.

They require them to honor warranty repairs and then reimburse them for less than the actual cost of doing the repair. That is why some dealers try to avoid warranty work if at all possible.

It really is a business decision by GM that makes this kind of stuff happen, and they are after all a for profit company, not a charity.
We have had the rear frame rails replaced on our 2015 and it was approved by the insurance company. This is not clipping. Clipping is welding two separate frames together to make a complete frame.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I'll tell you what.........that ensuing disaster where the car then got rained on in the interior with the targa top off, gave me some precautions that I will want to have on place in my mind and see what can be done to truly ensure my C7 I plan to purchase doesn't get in that same situation.

When the guy hired an independent insurance investigation of "diminished value, " is when the wheels came off. I gotta learn about all that stuff - and see if I can buy an automatic new bridge insurance policy to get me in a new C7, instead of jacking with that type of insurance h#ll.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:34 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
That would suck but then again about 25 years ago not on a vette. A friend was getting his car repaired at a body shop and he was driving this car over a RR tracks. The car just almost broke into just behind the front seat. But what it did was just behind the seat went to the ground. No one was hurt I just
this happened to an acquaintance of mine. two chevel ends welded together. it broke apart in a curve and killed him.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

Do you remember the recent thread here where a member had been rear ended and the dealer took the car apart and cut the frame to weld in a new section? Then State Farm and the Lizard refused to pay for the repairs? Here is why. GM has not yet certified C7 frame repair procedures as being crash worthy or even road worthy after a frame repair. In fact there is no approved method to even repair the frame and this is why the work was stopped on that guys car. This may make the C7 non repairable if any frame damage happens in a crash.
With the 125 frame parts all welded at Bowling Green, mostly with MIG, can't believe GM does not have an approved repair procedure. In fact the short crushable sections front and back should be easy to replace.

They had detailed procedures for repairing the aluminum frame on C6 Z06's. Used some of those when writing a book for CarTech on "Advanced Automotive Welding." I don't have access to that manual for a C7 but there is some info in the 2014 Service Manual, pics below. There is one showing how to repair the crushable sections with outlined welding procedures. The body frame manual details frame measurements etc. The C6 was even more difficult since it used single piece car length hydroformed side frame members. The C7 side members are made of about 8 smaller sections welded together.

Pic from GM 2014 Service manual frame repair section showing how to weld aluminum frame.

Crushable Section Welding to Casting

Last edited by JerryU; 10-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C7 a disposable car if in a crash? It just might be.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:33 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Except the legal minimum, which is what most people have, is $25 or $30k for property damage. It's why I have 100k un/under insured coverage.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

Do you remember the recent thread here where a member had been rear ended and the dealer took the car apart and cut the frame to weld in a new section? Then State Farm and the Lizard refused to pay for the repairs? Here is why. GM has not yet certified C7 frame repair procedures as being crash worthy or even road worthy after a frame repair. In fact there is no approved method to even repair the frame and this is why the work was stopped on that guys car. This may make the C7 non repairable if any frame damage happens in a crash.
Just checked the 2014 Service Manual in detail. There are 35 pages of Collision Repair (3-65 to 3-100) and many outlining welding on the frame. A competent shop, following the procedures outline should be qualified to fix a frame. Unlike the C6 the C7 fame has many pieces that are to be removed and replaced. There are no requirements to "cut a frame member" and try to butt weld in a section. Sounds like your reference may not have followed the GM recommendations.

There is a detailed collision repair manual that body shops have and it would outline the procedures and weld sequence etc. The key is to be sure to find a quality shop that knows how to weld aluminum.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-24-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

The Jaguar F-Type has an all-aluminum frame and body. Since I owned one, I learned that Jaguar is very strict about certifying specific shops, and they are the only approved places to have collision repair done, otherwise the warranty is voided. It does require special procedures for welding and frame repair.

The certified shop in my area is also the most highly regarded collision repair shop, and they are also certified by Porsche, Ferrari and other high-end marques. That's the type of shop I'd be searching for if my car was damaged.
The following users liked this post:
ZenicaPA (12-29-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the C7 a disposable car if in a crash? It just might be.