C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPI Designs C7 Corvette Stingray/Z06/Grand Sport NPP Mild2Wild Exhaust Controller!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:45 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

So, in theory, if I leave the car in "stealth" mode but open the exhaust with the M2W, when I close it, it reverts to "stealth" mode. Correct?

This device basically eliminates the 4th/5th gear 34-38 mph fly by closure. Correct?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

When you operate the M2W device, you're producing the same effect as manually removing and reinstalling the fuse. With the fuse activated by the M2W device, the car functions with the OEM programming, which is changeable w/ the mode selector and setting menu.

For example if wanted your NPP car to be quiet or loud just by using the M2W device, in the settings menu you can program your exhaust to the Weather/Economy/Tour (quiet) setting for all modes. Then, you'd just use M2W to make it "loud" or "quiet."
Old 11-04-2016, 04:23 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ground wire

What exactly are you attaching it to?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gunrun
What exactly are you attaching it to?

I plan on using the closest ground post to the fuse box. There is a post located on the passenger fender just to the rear of the air filter.

Elmer
Old 11-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Elmer, please update once you have installed to see if you feel it is louder at idle, or low rpm.

Have you received yours yet?

thanks,
Old 11-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
Elmer, please update once you have installed to see if you feel it is louder at idle, or low rpm....
It is easy to test yourself. Pull the exhaust fuse and try it. All the box does is pull the fuse and put it back in.
The following users liked this post:
Strake (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Skidplate,

Thanks....... even I knew that, just had a semi senior moment !

Richard
Old 11-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

OK....... so I must be missing something....

I went out, stood behind the car about 5 feet and use the remote start to start it up and listen to it as it currently is..... with the exhaust set to TRACK all the time.

I then went and removed fuse # 42 and repeated the exercise...... Sounds identical to me. I can't tell ANY difference. Folks were saying that even with the exhaust sound management setting set to TRACK, it still wasn't opening up the valves 100% of the way at idle, or low RPM's. They went on to say that with the fuse #42 pulled out, or using a Mild to Wild it would open the valves 100% of the way and sound louder at idle and low RPM.

I can't tell ANY difference. What am I missing???

Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK....... so I must be missing something....

I went out, stood behind the car about 5 feet and use the remote start to start it up and listen to it as it currently is..... with the exhaust set to TRACK all the time.

I then went and removed fuse # 42 and repeated the exercise...... Sounds identical to me. I can't tell ANY difference. Folks were saying that even with the exhaust sound management setting set to TRACK, it still wasn't opening up the valves 100% of the way at idle, or low RPM's. They went on to say that with the fuse #42 pulled out, or using a Mild to Wild it would open the valves 100% of the way and sound louder at idle and low RPM.

I can't tell ANY difference. What am I missing???

Thanks
When the car starts cold, it will run rich for a short period of time to warm up the cats. It will sound loud during this period. Perhaps that is when you were testing.

Here is an idle test after warmup. With decent speakers you should be able to hear the difference.

The following users liked this post:
Strake (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:20 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
When the car starts cold, it will run rich for a short period of time to warm up the cats. It will sound loud during this period. Perhaps that is when you were testing.

Here is an idle test after warmup. With decent speakers you should be able to hear the difference.

So is that sound difference when it is configured in TRACK mode ?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Default Fuse

I pulled the fuse yesterday and didn't notice a difference.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I ordered one but now I am wondering what's up...it should work the same for everyone, whether you pull the fuse or install the device. Silly question but everyone who is trying this NPP?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Default Npp

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I ordered one but now I am wondering what's up...it should work the same for everyone, whether you pull the fuse or install the device. Silly question but everyone who is trying this NPP?
Let us know if you notice a difference. Like I said I pulled the fuse and drove in D and M and didn't notice anything. I might go with corsa xpipes since it's the cheapest.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

YES, NPP exhaust. As stated above I have my settings for the exhaust to TRACK all the time, regardless of what driving mode. I had the car warmed up. Listened to it.

Then pulled fuse #42 did the same thing....... I can NOT tell any difference. So, I'm not sure I would see any benefit to having the Mild to Wild. By the way, I've had W2W in previous C6's and love it.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
So is that sound difference when it is configured in TRACK mode ?
Good question. I took the video over a year ago. It may have had the exhaust mode set to Stealth (where I normally run it). Then, using the remote (or Homelink), I can open the valves full time no matter how the DIC exhaust setting or mode **** is set. That was the main purpose I installed it. If driving in the neighborhood late at night, I can press one button and put the exhaust mode to Stealth and not wake any neighbors. Yes, I care about my neighbors.

The valves will still close at times - even in track mode.

Post #16 has good information here (NOTE - things may have changed for '17):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...anagement.html
Old 11-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

.... So, I'm not sure I would see any benefit to having the Mild to Wild......
The benefit is being able to have quiet or loud exhaust at the press of a button.

Ex: Set center console exhaust mode to Stealth - exhaust is very quiet 90% of the time. Press a button, exhaust is as loud as it gets 100% of the time. Press again - back to Stealth sound.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

That makes sense but why is it different for others? Auto vice manual maybe?

Last edited by Bob Z.; 11-04-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To RPI Designs C7 Corvette Stingray/Z06/Grand Sport NPP Mild2Wild Exhaust Controller!!!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skidplate
The benefit is being able to have quiet or loud exhaust at the press of a button.

Ex: Set center console exhaust mode to Stealth - exhaust is very quiet 90% of the time. Press a button, exhaust is as loud as it gets 100% of the time. Press again - back to Stealth sound.
Yep, I get that completely...... I've owned 2 of them before ( C6 ).... but my interest in this was that other posters were claiming that EVEN when the exhaust was set to TRACK, that at low RPM or at idle, the valves were not open 100% and this would be like pulling the fuse, open 100% of the time, until you pushed the button.

If it does NOT open the valves any more than what I have already choosing TRACK through the settings screen, then it's not a benefit for me.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:48 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep, I get that completely...... I've owned 2 of them before ( C6 ).... but my interest in this was that other posters were claiming that EVEN when the exhaust was set to TRACK, that at low RPM or at idle, the valves were not open 100% and this would be like pulling the fuse, open 100% of the time, until you pushed the button.

If it does NOT open the valves any more than what I have already choosing TRACK through the settings screen, then it's not a benefit for me.

I'm going to do it because a manual closes the valves under partial throttle in 4-5 gear(regardless of mode) between 34-39 MPH. And, it would be on demand to close if I was at a track that I have troubles with the DB meter. Real quick, no BS, just use the button in trouble areas and back open later.

Last edited by AUTO_X_AL; 11-05-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

It would be nice for someone with a 7MT to install it and post the results here. I actually bought one but my ordered car is not yet here so I can't.

Quick Reply: RPI Designs C7 Corvette Stingray/Z06/Grand Sport NPP Mild2Wild Exhaust Controller!!!