Default Bloomberg: "Baby Boomers Are Getting Too Old For Sports Cars"

'Twas only a matter of CREAKY BONES:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...car-sales-fall

Popular Reply

10-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Bloomberg reporters put out a lot of brain dead Zombie Libitard propoganda. They really want try to pry my Vette Fob and my guns out of my cold dead hands. The millennials prefer Prius and Kia Souls because they were brain washed with the Global Warming BS. Or perhaps a more likely could it be that the folks out of college cannot get real jobs and afford $40-$60K cars? But Bloomberg and the rest of the media dare not blame their Obomination policies.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well, this PRE-baby boomer still manages to fit his creaky bones in his three Corvettes(well, maybe two out of the three, as I don't drive my 1956 Corvette anymore).

But, to be 100% truthful, it is easier to fit them in my 4 door sedan just to make a run to Walmart or Home Depot.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (10-31-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The Corvette stills sells better than any other sports car
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Bloomberg reporters put out a lot of brain dead Zombie Libitard propoganda. They really want try to pry my Vette Fob and my guns out of my cold dead hands. The millennials prefer Prius and Kia Souls because they were brain washed with the Global Warming BS. Or perhaps a more likely could it be that the folks out of college cannot get real jobs and afford $40-$60K cars? But Bloomberg and the rest of the media dare not blame their Obomination policies.

Last edited by Flame Red; 10-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Flame Red:
astaggs (10-21-2016), GOLD72 (11-04-2016), Kent1999 (10-21-2016), Mike98SilVert (10-30-2016), Monkey D. Luffy (10-27-2016), Oldriceguy (10-28-2016), Red1990VT (10-28-2016), RippieC4 (10-28-2016), Scruff Vette (10-21-2016), Skid Row Joe (11-04-2016), Tefer (10-27-2016), Tony S45 (10-27-2016), TonyBro1 (10-30-2016), xwing (10-27-2016) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:31 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Well, this PRE-baby boomer still manages to fit his creaky bones in his three Corvettes(well, maybe two out of the three, as I don't drive my 1956 Corvette anymore).

But, to be 100% truthful, it is easier to fit them in my 4 door sedan just to make a run to Walmart or Home Depot.

Pre-BB's are not as wussy as BB's!! The war was still ongoing as we came into the world and there were starving children in Europe - everything was rationed and we learned how to eat turnip greens, brussels sprouts, liver and spam. Getting a sports car like a C7 was a wild and crazy dream, so getting in and out of our prized car is NO PROBLEMA!! Let the accelerator and brakes do all the work. The car is literally a Dream Come True.
Anyone who can sit down on a stool can get in and out of a C7 with no problem!
The following 2 users liked this post by OC Sadler:
BlueFinn (10-21-2016), Red1990VT (10-28-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Bloomberg reporters are brain dead Zombie Libitards. They put out crap like this to try to pry my Vette Fob and my guns out of my cold dead hands. The millennials prefer Prius and Kia Souls because they were brain washed with the Global Warming BS. Or perhaps a more likely reason for touting this would be that the folks out of college cannot get real jobs and afford $40-$60K cars? But Bloomberg and the rest of the media dare not blame the Obomination policies.
Nothing to do with brain dead reporters. GM has long recognized that the average age of new Corvette buyers are getting older, and that's why the design of the C7 was radically changed from the Corvette generations before it. GM has been trying to increase it's sales of Corvettes in Europe(lost cause) and has tried to lower the average age of people buying new Corvettes today by offering "transformer" styling etc that appeals to younger people. Hasn't worked that well as sales of the C7 Corvette are down, even though the overall car market has been very strong.

Not fully across the board, but many older folks are not into the "transformer" styling, thus are holding onto their "obsolete" C5's and C6's instead of trading them in on new C7's. Those creaking bones seniors are still driving Corvettes, but just not the new generation.

We do agree about the disastrous Obama policies and the Global Warming crap.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 04:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JoesC5:
AdventurePoser (11-06-2016), Maxie2U (10-21-2016), Red1990VT (10-28-2016), Skid Row Joe (11-04-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OC Sadler
Pre-BB's are not as wussy as BB's!! The war was still ongoing as we came into the world and there were starving children in Europe - everything was rationed and we learned how to eat turnip greens, brussels sprouts, liver and spam. Getting a sports car like a C7 was a wild and crazy dream, so getting in and out of our prized car is NO PROBLEMA!! Let the accelerator and brakes do all the work. The car is literally a Dream Come True.
Anyone who can sit down on a stool can get in and out of a C7 with no problem!
I was born in 1942 and I still have one of my food ration books, with some of the coupons still in it, from WWII. It has my name on it, not my Mom's. I guess I wasn't that hungry during the war.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 03:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Maxie2U (10-21-2016), RippieC4 (10-28-2016), Vett2017 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:43 PM
1966 327
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap. I have no problem getting into or under or around any of my 3 corvettes (2, 1966 and 1, 2014) despite my almost 67 years . MILLENIALS and Gen Xers be damned most of them can't even drive standard .
​​
RippieC4 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...y-boomers-grow

DETROIT -- Baby boomers in the U.S. are starting to outgrow their midlife crisis years, and that’s bad news for automakers who want to sell sports cars.

It was a sign of things to come this month when Ford Motor Co. idled its Mustang plant for a week as sales for the year fell 9 percent. Other sports cars have faded at a similar rate, and even stalwarts like the Chevrolet Corvette and most Porsche models are slumping.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

DETROIT -- Baby boomers in the U.S. are starting to outgrow their midlife crisis years, and that’s bad news for automakers who want to sell sports cars.

It was a sign of things to come this month when Ford Motor Co. idled its Mustang plant for a week as sales for the year fell 9 percent. Other sports cars have faded at a similar rate, and even stalwarts like the Chevrolet Corvette and most Porsche models are slumping.
Writer is suffering from PC-induced Group-Think. Key here is the phrase in the opening statement "mid life crisis" -- the assumption that a large part of the sports car market is not true "car enthusiasts", but rather just those middle-age fools trying to regain their youth with a foolish purchase, and they sell those silly sports cars once they get over themselves and come back to their senses.

Another is the goofy statement from the end of the article:
Boomers are coming out of pure sports cars, but they’re not willing to sacrifice pure driving,” Cote said. “The idea of a sports SUV was incomprehensible 10 years ago” LOL... still incomprehensible as a sports car replacement offering "pure driving"...

Last edited by Kent1999; 10-21-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I would venture to say that dropping sales of Mustangs and Camaros has nothing to do with "baby boomers" out living their "mid life crisis" thus creating the slumping "sports car(LOL)" market.

Most of the Mustangs and Camaros I see are driven by people much, much younger than the "baby Boomer" generation, that don't have "creaking bones".

The fact is that a lot of the younger generation just can't afford to move out of their parent's basement and buy new Mustangs and Camaros when they are working part time at a convenience store for $10 an hour.

Mustangs and Camaros are not "sports cars" but are "sporty cars". Huge difference.

Things are not so different from 52 years ago. Back in 1964 I bought my first new car...a 1964 Malibu SS hardtop with the 327/4-speed/posi/F40 suspension. The reason I bought it was that I couldn't afford a new 1964 Corvette, as I was only 21 and in the Air Force(making way less than I deserved, LOL). But, at least I had a full time job, and a part time job on Saturday.

Other than a young guy I knew that used his recently deceased wife's $10,000 life insurance policy to buy a new 1964 Corvette, I only saw older(above 50) guys driving Corvettes. Even GM knew their market wasn't young kids, and their advertisements(for the most part) in the 50's and 60's showed older people driving Corvettes.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
kenownr (10-21-2016), Mike98SilVert (10-30-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:14 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

75 here and I have no trouble folding my 6'4"s into my Corvette. If I have my way I'll drive it until they need to use it to bury me in...
The following 3 users liked this post by BigJoe:
Italianfox (11-05-2016), tractman (10-27-2016), Vett2017 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Emerald Eagle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

"Not fully across the board, but many older folks are not into the "transformer" styling, thus are holding onto their "obsolete" C5's and C6's instead of trading them in on new C7's. Those creaking bones seniors are still driving Corvettes, but just not the new generation."

Really, Joesc5????

The new styling is pulling in guys like me that wouldn't walk across the street to look at a Corvette built after 1967.

After 60 years of playing with sports cars the styling and engineering of the C7 connected with my definition of a great car and I have one and love it

It is not a garage Queen, I have had plenty of those and this machine is is going to get 10k+/year as long as I can wrap my knarley hand around the M7 stir stick.

And as far a comfort, Wow, it fits my 6'2"ness very well and much prefer it to my Mercedes for long distance touring.

I would say to anyone who is thinking that a C5 or 6 is the answer spend some miles in a C7 and you will park your old car on the street!

Just a hard core guy that loves his C7, didn't mean to rant but sometimes it just comes out
The following 2 users liked this post by Emerald Eagle:
RippieC4 (10-28-2016), Z07kid (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:06 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

That Bloomberg article doesn't ring true.
Difficult to get in and out of a C7? Seriously? The folks at Bloomberg must be living in a nursing home. The C4, that was difficult to get in and out of. But from the C5 and newer, no problem. I find the C7 is slightly easier to get in and out of than the C5, but all of the C5, C6, C7 generation are not difficult to enter and exit. Is it easier to get in and out of a SUV, of course. But its easier to get in and out of a SUV than it is to enter and exit a Prius or a Cruze. So what!
As for economics, that's hard to argue with. The Corvette C7 is for those who are well healed. Low paying jobs don't go well with new car sales period and the Vette is a pricey car, but still a bargain in the super car market.
As for the global warming argument, I seriously doubt anyone who might be a Corvette buyer would pass on one because of that issue, especially those considering a SUV. Actually, the C7 gets pretty good mileage. My C7 gets way better mileage than our older Highlander and slightly better than our other SUV.
I have a serious problem with someone buying a "sport" SUV instead of a high powered, sports car like a Vette. That one just doesn't compute. Anyone claiming that just isn't a true sports car aficionado.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think the drop in sales is a factor of several things: first, there is a record number of people who are unemployed (if you don't have a job chances are you're not car shopping unless you're a trust fund kid); second, cars are ridiculously expensive these days; and third, what now passes as entertainment is held in one hand six inches from your nose and those people seldom know what's going on in their immediate surroundings.
damascus1986 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Nothing to do with brain dead reporters. GM has long recognized that the average age of new Corvette buyers are getting older, and that's why the design of the C7 was radically changed from the Corvette generations before it. GM has been trying to increase it's sales of Corvettes in Europe(lost cause) and has tried to lower the average age of people buying new Corvettes today by offering "transformer" styling etc that appeals to younger people. Hasn't worked that well as sales of the C7 Corvette are down, even though the overall car market has been very strong.

Not fully across the board, but many older folks are not into the "transformer" styling, thus are holding onto their "obsolete" C5's and C6's instead of trading them in on new C7's. Those creaking bones seniors are still driving Corvettes, but just not the new generation.

We do agree about the disastrous Obama policies and the Global Warming crap.
For a moment there, I thought you were on to something. Oh, well, can't wait to check out the flood control wall at Trump's new golf course, you know, to protect his assets from "BS"...wait, I'm too young to give a crap about golf.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

You quoted this from Autoweek. And here's a quote from the OP from Bloomberg:

Baby boomers are starting to outgrow their midlife crisis years, and that’s bad news for automakers who want to sell sports cars.

Same exact words. The fact that they have been repeated doesn't make them more or less true. In fact Autoweek claims the article was originally in Automotive News. Neither article attributes Bloomberg as the original source. So we have the exact same article THREE TIMES verbatim.

SOMEBODY is plagarizing and they are all 'spreading the meme.'
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
BobBass (10-21-2016), the kid C6 (11-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Bloomberg: "Baby Boomers Are Getting Too Old For Sports Cars"

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Automotive News" attributes David Welch from "Bloomberg."

The interesting thing is it was considered a big enough story to be picked up by two other publications.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Ford also idled their truck plant because of slow sales and the slow sales were not due to baby boomers with creaky bones getting to old to get in and out of a pickup truck. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...o-slack-demand

News about the slump in "sporty cars" is just BS from a reporter with an agenda. I wonder why he didn't write an article about how last months sales of the ERL was 6 cars, down 83.3%(LOL) from September of 2015. I'm sure that that drop in sales was due to grey haired old farts thinking the ERL is to sporty for them and too hard to get in and out of. LOL

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The Mustang has also been idled from production per an announcement I heard earlier in the week.

I happen to think boomers are getting older, and possibly not going for C7 Corvettes to buy/replace their current rides. I also think the design was changed for good reason. Whether it works in the longer term (not just a few years but say, 10 down the road), time will tell. It could be the Corvette goes the way of Pontiac or Olds. Or, it could be it makes it into the 2025-2030 era. Many great looking and high perf cars have gone away over the last 120 years.

Quick Reply: Bloomberg: "Baby Boomers Are Getting Too Old For Sports Cars"