Sponsored by:

Look what I got to do.. NASCAR Poconos

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Look what I got to do.. NASCAR Poconos

OK some of you guys need to come next year..
Ran the Poconos TriOval NASCAR Oval..
Cold Temps. Ice Cold Tires.. only got 2 laps. Rotor failed on 3rd.. need new rotors

Last edited by Greg Quillen; 10-21-2016 at 03:35 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Greg Quillen:
///ADMAN (10-21-2016), Boiler_81 (10-21-2016), cvp33 (10-21-2016), Landru (10-21-2016), RipcordZ51 (10-21-2016), witch hunt (10-22-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Looked as if your car was pulling pretty strong in 5th gear. What stage aero?

I didn't see any other cars on the track nor a "pace car" in front of you.

How were you able to run solo and without being paced? Was it a HPDE event? What safety equipment was required?

Do you know the cause of the rotor failure? Iron or CCB?

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:11 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

How did the car feel under the tire and temperature conditions---did it feel "planted" or somewhat loose?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM
NewZ06Man
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

What is this event? I have driven the NASCAR driving experience there, but did not know you could run your own car on the track. I want in!
Old 10-21-2016, 05:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NewZ06Man
What is this event? I have driven the NASCAR driving experience there, but did not know you could run your own car on the track. I want in!
There are HPDE's at Pocono, but they run a combination of both the high speed NASCAR tri-oval and the infield road course.

The OP was driving around the NASCAR high speed tri-oval only, which is why I asked the questions I asked in post #2.

Normally that is now allowed as the speeds are too high for most drivers and cars.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Very CL!!!

Come on down to Daytona for the HPDE that will be held December 9-11.

We run the Rolex24 roadcourse, which includes the twisty-turny section in the infield, then out onto the tri-oval and the 31° banking.

Anybody who thinks that their track season is over for the winter, come on down - it's always nice here in Daytona for this event.

Here's a link to a thread in the AutoX/roadrace section of the forum with some info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...11-2016-a.html

Hope to c'ya at the track!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Micster
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm brand new to all of this, having just talked w/ couple guys locally about tracking. Looks like an absolute blast and I'm dying to give it a shot. (yes, slowly, with lots of professional guidance) That much I have learned. 170 m.p.h. = max I presume?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Micster
I'm brand new to all of this, having just talked w/ couple guys locally about tracking. Looks like an absolute blast and I'm dying to give it a shot. (yes, slowly, with lots of professional guidance) That much I have learned. 170 m.p.h. = max I presume?
Well...top speed depends on a LOT of things!

Most of us roadcourse track hounds enjoy the challenge of taking corners precisely - from braking, taking the proper line through the turn, and tracking out most effectively.

However....let's face it - we've got very powerful cars, and it's REALLY fun to turn the beast loose on tracks or at events with looooong straight sections where we can keep our foot down and let the beast run wild!!!

There are some 1/2 mile, 1 mile, and even 1-1/2 mile events, usually on long runways. A C7 Z06 can get up into the 180's (do a search and I think you'll find something like 187 mph at a mile-and-a-half event).

There's the Silver State Classic Challenge where you can run at high speed for many miles - but you'll be limited in speed depending on your experience and the equipment (cage, fire extinguisher, nomex race suit, etc., etc.). Check out http://www.silverstateclassic.com/ for info.

Some roadcourse racetracks will have long straights that might allow a stock Stingray to get to 140-150mph, and a Z06 maybe 10mph faster.

The Z06 has 3 "Stages" of aero that increases downforce for better cornering as the Stage increases up to Stage 3. But, the additional downforce also creates more drag and can slow top speed by probably 7-8mph at the high speed events.

The Rolex24 roadcourse at Daytona Int'l Speedway is one of the tracks that allows about the highest top speed. There are 4 or 5 HPDE type track events here each year. At most you must run with the windows down, and that adds drag. At the event coming up Dec 9-11 we can run with the windows up/closed, and that has allowed my C6 Z06 and ZR1 to do 7-10mph faster than at the other events with open windows.

At an HPDE here the beginning of Oct, in a morning session before the temps got up to 90°+, I was able to get 175mph in my C7 Z06. I was running Stage 2 front splitter end plates, and Stage 1 rear spoiler wings in order to reduce drag.

I'll be interested to see how the car does in Dec in cooler temps and with the windows closed.

Bottom line - top speed depends on mods you might have done, aero you're running, and how long the straight is that will allow a WOT run. For top speed, you usually just point it straight and floor the go-pedal!

But to us roadcourse track hounds the real fun is running the corners where you need to determine braking point, modulate brakes effectively; pick your turn in point, apex, and track out line; balance the car during the turn and get on the throttle properly when tracking out; while looking across the corner and down the track at your next corner and getting set up for it!!

There are tracks all over the country that have HPDE type track events almost every weekend during the spring/summer/fall. In the warmer areas they'll run events all year 'round!

Every buyer of a Corvette can take advantage of the Spring Mountain Corvette Driving School during the first year of ownership (WELL WORTH the $1000 cost!!!!!), and it's a fantastic school to learn about your car and improve your ability to drive it. Even if you never take your own car to the track, you'll learn a LOT that can help you be a better driver on the street when you know what the car, and you, can really do.

C'ya at the track!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-22-2016 at 12:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
Mad Dog 24 (10-22-2016), Micster (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Micster
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Awesome, thank you so much for all the terrific info!

Last edited by Micster; 10-21-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Very cool
Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Very very very cool!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Looked as if your car was pulling pretty strong in 5th gear. What stage aero?

I didn't see any other cars on the track nor a "pace car" in front of you.

How were you able to run solo and without being paced? Was it a HPDE event? What safety equipment was required?

Do you know the cause of the rotor failure? Iron or CCB?
its stage 1aero plus rockers.. On cup2 with track alignment. Tire temps hit max 100 degrees so still cold for these tires..
Rotor was warped.. got bad when extremely hot i thinK now. At time i thought was wheel weight. Then maybe rubber debree on track.
Was 2 other cars. Z06 with 80hp or so bump. And mclaren. Was close to once lapping mclaren but this his first time ever on track.
Yes solo no pace. Though they recommend 100mph on turn in but they can tell speed ur doing.. Hence my slow turn in then accelerating.. They had cones u r suppose to follow and stay inbetween.
Like all HPDE events just snell helmet.
Thos was 877 stock car. Drive ur own car provate track rental
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
How did the car feel under the tire and temperature conditions---did it feel "planted" or somewhat loose?
ive been on lime rock at 26° so nothing new.. Car is very loose at first but calms down quick.. Just need slow lap which first under caution anyway. Then slowly work up. Being mostly straight takes more time to heat up tires.. Started with pressure too low.. But was suppose to be 30mins i only got 7..
They started to geip ok these laps but tires really need min 150° to 180° to be most sticky
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by NewZ06Man
i normally rum with audi nj which runs isma. This was 877stockcar drive ur own car but private rental. 3 of us
Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Very CL!!!

Come on down to Daytona for the HPDE that will be held December 9-11.

We run the Rolex24 roadcourse, which includes the twisty-turny section in the infield, then out onto the tri-oval and the 31° banking.

Anybody who thinks that their track season is over for the winter, come on down - it's always nice here in Daytona for this event.

Here's a link to a thread in the AutoX/roadrace section of the forum with some info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...11-2016-a.html

Hope to c'ya at the track!!

would love to so bad.. Friend ran his wicked fast c6 z06 cage suspension mods.. Bolt ons.. 315 335 slicks hohos there last year
Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by Micster
not sure where ur from. I have membership to thompson can take people cheap.
There are tons of track groups.. NASA.. Hooked On Driving.. Chin motorsports.. Then all the car manufactor ones (i go with audi and bmw with my corvette)
Great instructor is a must.. Take it slow and have fun.. So much fun..
The following users liked this post:
Micster (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Well...top speed depends on a LOT of things!

Most of us roadcourse track hounds enjoy the challenge of taking corners precisely - from braking, taking the proper line through the turn, and tracking out most effectively.

C'ya at the track!!

Yeah i love it all.. I do 1/2 miles. Roll races.. HPDE.. might do honda challenge or time trails but honda challenge my weight is an issue.. Watkins Glen my favorite track for corvette. Im on northeast obviously

Get notified of new replies

To Look what I got to do.. NASCAR Poconos

Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

How cool was that! I would've been grinning the whole time!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Originally Posted by cvp33
How cool was that! I would've been grinning the whole time!
anyone in the area welcome to come next time..
Or to thompson member day with me.. $180 fpr guest. Empty track. U Can be on track all day if you want
Old 10-21-2016, 10:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
its stage 1aero plus rockers.. On cup2 with track alignment. Tire temps hit max 100 degrees so still cold for these tires..
Rotor was warped.. got bad when extremely hot i thinK now. At time i thought was wheel weight. Then maybe rubber debree on track.
Was 2 other cars. Z06 with 80hp or so bump. And mclaren. Was close to once lapping mclaren but this his first time ever on track.
Yes solo no pace. Though they recommend 100mph on turn in but they can tell speed ur doing.. Hence my slow turn in then accelerating.. They had cones u r suppose to follow and stay inbetween.
Like all HPDE events just snell helmet.
Thos was 877 stock car. Drive ur own car provate track rental
Thanks!!!!!!

Private track rental explains it.

Anyone just showing up to do a HPDE like Hooked on Driving, etc, won't see the 170 MPH speeds as they make you run the infield course and then you are running slow coming out onto the Tri-Oval and before you can get up to speed on the straight, you have to brake to a slow speed to go back onto the infield course.

The Daytona event that BEZ06 has posted about does allow enough distance on the front stretch to hit 170 MPH speeds before braking for the infield course/bus stop. Of course, at Daytona, you have the high banked turns that allow for higher speeds through them, before hitting the straight stretchs at WOT.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Look what I got to do.. NASCAR Poconos