C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:26 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default FIXED: Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).

This is not the Ackermann Effect (clunky noise caused by having wide tires), I experience that as well and I understand that is normal.

This (in addition to the above) is a tat tat tat tat tat and its fairly loud and only happens when making very sharp turns at slow speeds.

My car is a brand new 2017 Grand Sport and it's made this noise since day 1.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Thanks to the good people on this forum, my issue is resolved:

TSB

or

Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning

Last edited by angryBits; 11-14-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: fixed!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:27 PM
angryBits
Instructor

I found this video on youtube, it is not my car, but sounds similar.
My ticking is more rapid, but similar pitch and location:

Old 11-13-2016, 05:58 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I know you arent looking for this answer but the dealer should be able to figure it out.....BUT, only if they can recreate the noise. If it does it EVERY time it shouldnt be an issue for it to be recreated at wil...but you know how it goes, it will do it every time and then wont do it for the dealer.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:34 PM
angryBits
Instructor

You're right, not the answer I'm looking for

I am so hesitant to take a car to the dealer because they will keep it for 6 weeks just to tighten a lug nut.

I'm hoping someone else has had a similar issue and the answer will be something simple I can do myself.
The following users liked this post:
Dreamer1950 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

its the floating rotors making the noise, very normal... mine does it too.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:22 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Had the same exact issue with my 2016 Camaro when locking the wheel left. Took the wheel off, put it back on. I think a little more torque on the lugnut fixed the issue.

Last edited by T_B; 11-13-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 AM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by sycraft
its the floating rotors making the noise, very normal... mine does it too.
Would this happen consistently while turning sharply?

Seems like floating rotors would rattle randomly while turning or not.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 AM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by T_B
Had the same exact issue with my 2016 Camaro when locking the wheel left. Took the wheel off, put it back on. I think a little more torque on the lugnut fixed the issue.
I'll check the torque, but its a brand new car, I hope they torqued them properly from the factory.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

jack up the wheel, turn by hand, does it make noise? to me the vid sounds like something is caught near/in the brake rotor like a pebble. have someone drive around in a tight circle while you stand outside--is it both sides? front only?

no, not necessarily torqued correctly if it was (for some reason) taken off at dealer for PDI. so, yes check torque.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by angryBits
Would this happen consistently while turning sharply?

Seems like floating rotors would rattle randomly while turning or not.
Its a cyclic clicking/ light popping noise, slow speeds and turning. I hear it all the time they don't rattle as there is a tight fit from the rotor hat to the disc. . Try torqueing the lugs and then if still noisey it should be this
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

I had a noise like that in my C4, and it was u-joints. I would not suspect that in a new car, especially if "they all do that".

And, seriously, "if they all do that" (which I seem to get a lot at the dealer...) then it's not worth the time and effort to take it in.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

It's a very common noise.... the simple fix is to take the wheel off and clean the hub and the innner part of the wheel that meets the hub. The noise will go away for about a month and then return. Had the issue in my cts V and corvettes suffer from this as well.
angryBits (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:52 PM
angryBits
Instructor

I appreciate all the input, I acquired some additional data this morning that may help steer some thoughts.

- Sound only comes from the right side.

- It only happens while turning left.

- The rate of the "tat tat tat" is consistent with the speed of the car. At 0mph the noise is gone, the noise gets louder and increases in frequency between 1mph to 5mph.

- The pattern is literally: In 4/4 time at a tempo of like 60, its "tat, tat, tat, ..., tat, tat, tat, ..., tat, tat, tat, ..." As in 4 parts per one revolution of the wheel, and 1 of the 4 parts is a missing beat. (PS - I'm not a musician).

- At the moment I'm unsure if its coming from the front or rear of the car.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2016-1301.html

Both my '14 and '16 did it. Did the procedure myself and it didnt come back.

Its pretty common, plenty of videos around. Surprised the dealer couldnt look it up and find the TSB.
angryBits (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by angryBits
This is not the Ackermann Effect (clunky noise caused by having wide tires), I experience that as well and I understand that is normal.

This (in addition to the above) is a tat tat tat tat tat and its fairly loud and only happens when making very sharp turns at slow speeds.

My car is a brand new 2017 Grand Sport and it's made this noise since day 1.

Any ideas?
Hi angryBits,

I have taken some time to review this thread and it looks like you’re receiving some great advice from other forum members. We understand how upsetting this noise may be while driving your GS and certainly don’t want it to hinder your driving experience.

Since we are not technically trained, we are unable to speculate where the noise concern may be stemming from, but we’re happy to get you in touch with the dealership, if you’d like. Don’t hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and full contact information if this is of interest to you.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

OP - some of the Z06s do it too.

See this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-turning.html

GM also has a TSB out on it, so your dealer should be able to access that.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2016-1301.html

Both my '14 and '16 did it. Did the procedure myself and it didnt come back.

Its pretty common, plenty of videos around. Surprised the dealer couldnt look it up and find the TSB.
As I said above this is the issue and fox for what you are encountering. Don't bother wasting your time even going through the process because it's just not worth your time. The noise will come back after about 2-4 weeks every time you go through this process and drive you crazy. Your better off getting used to the sound then letting it drive you nuts and pulling your wheels off every month or so lol.

Last edited by brooklync5; 11-14-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).

Old 11-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Maybe it is your center cap binding up a bit, take it off and then see if the noise is still there.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
As I said above this is the issue and fox for what you are encountering. Don't bother wasting your time even going through the process because it's just not worth your time. The noise will come back after about 2-4 weeks every time you go through this process and drive you crazy. Your better off getting used to the sound then letting it drive you nuts and pulling your wheels off every month or so lol.
I disagree.

I did my 2014 when I noticed it and it was fine until I sold it a year and 10k miles later.

Been a month on this 2016 since I did it (it went almost a year before I noticed it and it bothered me enough to fix it) and the noise has not returned yet, I do drive it almost daily. Time will tell of course on the '16 but it didnt take me a lot of time, plus I got to clean the barrel of the wheels after a year so its not like it was a total waste of time.

Only thing I did different from the tsb is I lightly used some fine scotchbrite pads to save a little time. Its worth a shot, just make sure you have a decent torque wrench. I'm sure some dealers do a better job than others and some cars might just never quit unless parts are replaced.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:32 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
I disagree.

I did my 2014 when I noticed it and it was fine until I sold it a year and 10k miles later.

Been a month on this 2016 since I did it (it went almost a year before I noticed it and it bothered me enough to fix it) and the noise has not returned yet, I do drive it almost daily. Time will tell of course on the '16 but it didnt take me a lot of time, plus I got to clean the barrel of the wheels after a year so its not like it was a total waste of time.

Only thing I did different from the tsb is I lightly used some fine scotchbrite pads to save a little time. Its worth a shot, just make sure you have a decent torque wrench. I'm sure some dealers do a better job than others and some cars might just never quit unless parts are replaced.

I too used a pad to get it nice and clean on my cts-v and the noise came back within weeks. i guess this is a case by case basis. The service manager at Cadillac who I initially dealt with told me about 80% of people who have come in for this issue come back reporting the same problems within a month or so. Maybe the corvette is different but the problem is the same. My 14 doesn't seem to suffer from this as of yet.

Quick Reply: Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).