C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 speed automatic in Camaro ZL1 - in Corvette next model year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:40 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 10 speed automatic in Camaro ZL1 - in Corvette next model year?

I just finished reading the Camaro ZL1 review in the December Car and Driver issue. Sounds like quite the way to send power towards the wheels!

I understand why GM put it in the ZL1 first since it is a mid model year car. Plus it can live it's first "year" in a somewhat limited production run.

I can't help but wonder if it is destined for the Corvette in MY '18.

Questions for you:

1) Will this be available in a Corvette next year?
2) Will it fix the (potential) automatic transmission cooling issues with the Z06 on the track? (Article in C&D has extensive coverage of power train cooling setup in the ZL1)
3) If it is introduced in the Corvette, that could mean the GM 8 speed will only have a three model year run. Should we read anything into such a short run?
4) If GM stops making the 8 speed, is it possible the 10 speed might be used as a replacement at some point for broken 8 speeds?
5) Any info on why Ford and GM decided to collaborate on this transmission (and discontinue their own parts)?

I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by intensifi; 11-14-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Three year of 8 speed manufacturing run.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Regarding your comment #3: 8 Speed already has a 3, not 2 model year run in the corvette, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
The following users liked this post:
intensifi (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:03 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

NO already discussed. trans doesn't fit
2) Will it fix the (potential) automatic transmission cooling issues with the Z06 on the track? (Article in C&D has extensive coverage of power train cooling setup in the ZL1)
NO overheating is caused by two things. not enough cooling capacity/frontal area and intake charge due to angle of bricks in intercooler at rear of sc lid, **note: frontal area of the new ZR1 or whatever that test mule is driving around shows the whole front of the car WIDE OPEN so think more cooling area maybe additional radiators?
3) If it is introduced in the Corvette, that could mean the GM 8 speed will only have a two model year run. Should we read anything into such a short run?
not from GM. wouldn't be cost effective. once these cars are OUT of 5/60k they couldn't care less
4) If GM stops making the 8 speed, is it possible the 10 speed might be used as a replacement at some point for broken 8 speeds?
see answer above
5) Any info on why Ford and GM decided to collaborate on this transmission (and discontinue their own parts)?
been discussed already. cost effective. ford/gm realizing gm buyers buy gm and ford buyers buy ford.. both will flip flop owners over time but that's a small percentage and small percentage of each lose to other mfr but also GAIN

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 11-14-2016 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jovette
Regarding your comment #3: 8 Speed already has a 3, not 2 model year run in the corvette, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Sorry! My math skills are challenged on Mondays. I will fix the original post.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the 10 speed is to big for the C7
Old 11-14-2016, 10:59 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Not trying to bash, but this is the Gillette razor saga all over again. First, just a blade, then 2 blades, then 3, then 5, then... Ok, bad joke.

My friend's new 17 Camaro SS A8 is back in the shop, AGAIN. The dreaded noise that plagues some of our Vette and now Gen6 Camaro friends and still has no real solution. Maybe GM can debug its 8speed black eye before it jumps to 10, then maybe 12, hell, why not an A18?
Glad to have 2 performance cars and both are manuals. The TR6060 in my 5th Gen 1LE is an absolute delight. Maybe once GM perfects it's hit or miss hi-tech autos, I 'll give one a try
Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I remember someone at Corvette (Tadge?) was denying the 8 speed would be in the 2015 almost right up to the day they announced it would (okay, maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration).

I certainly don't know if it will be or not, but I find it hard to imagine it will be used in the top Camaro and not make it to the Corvette. But I will say the I don't know enough about converting a transmission to transaxle status.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:19 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
NO already discussed. trans doesn't fit
NO overheating is caused by two things. not enough cooling capacity/frontal area and intake charge due to angle of bricks in intercooler at rear of sc lid, **note: frontal area of the new ZR1 or whatever that test mule is driving around shows the whole front of the car WIDE OPEN so think more cooling area maybe additional radiators?
3) If it is introduced in the Corvette, that could mean the GM 8 speed will only have a two model year run. Should we read anything into such a short run?
not from GM. wouldn't be cost effective. once these cars are OUT of 5/60k they couldn't care less
see answer above
been discussed already. cost effective. ford/gm realizing gm buyers buy gm and ford buyers buy ford.. both will flip flop owners over time but that's a small percentage and small percentage of each lose to other mfr but also GAIN
The 10 speed fits, it's nearly identical in size to the 8 speed. (see: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/h...0speed-gm.html) The issue is the integrated bell housing, which means a unique housing needs to be cast for the Corvette.

Also the current FWD 6-Speed is the same hardware between Ford and GM (was a co-development). Automatic Transmissions are mostly determined by the SW on them (that controls shifting), so while GM and Ford use the same Hardware the Transmissions will be vastly different in feel due to Software Calibrations.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 11-15-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 10 speed automatic in Camaro ZL1 - in Corvette next model year?

Quick Reply: 10 speed automatic in Camaro ZL1 - in Corvette next model year?