Sponsored by:

Z51 wheel damage from blowout

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 PM
C7BlackOnBat
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z51 wheel damage from blowout

Had blowout the other night while driving home, and the damage is like nothing I've ever seen before. For reference, the tires only have about 14.7k miles on them.

So when it happened I pulled over safely, and took a peak at the tire (right rear). From what I could tell the tire was in good shape. Road was clear of debris and potholes. At this point i'm completely confused.

As the tires were run flats and I had less than 5 miles, I was able to drive it safely home. I attempted to air up the tire to see if i can find where the hole was, and air was coming out of the wheel/tire as fast as my air compressor could send it. As the lighting in my garage wasn't the best I didn't spend a lot of time looking around.

Next morning drive to my local discount tire (about 8 miles) to have them check out the tire, and replace it if needed. They don't have that size tire in stock, so won't touch the car until the new tire arrives. Okay, sure, tire ordered.

I get a call this morning hoping to hear that my vette was ready to hit the road. Instead I'm connected to one of the sales guys who seems to be amazed at what had happened. He described the issue as if "someone had shot the wheel with a gun". This left me scratching my head. He tells me that they can't mount a tire on this wheel and that I needed to come down and let them know what to do about this.

I get to discount and they walk me over to the car and show me what they meant. And i'll be damned, there are two holes in the rim facing the center of the wheel.

So, I'm posting this to see if anyone else has ever ran into this issue, just in general, or, if there is any history of these wheels being 'weak'?

Name:  ZuskUJI.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  4.26 MB
Name:  IptDQJl.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  2.47 MB
Old 11-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I would have the whole wheel assembly inspected to determine cause. Maybe you were shot at?

Last edited by Larry/car; 11-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I see the blow out in the top of the tire (1st photo), but your 2nd photo is a bit tough to recognize. Are those holes in the wheel or the tire?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

That is very unusual. Looks to me like you hit something that had two long "spikes" in it that went threw the tire and the wheel barrel. I have no idea what that might have been.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Maybe you were shot at?
That was my first thought as well. Are there two holes in the tire itself?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 PM
C7BlackOnBat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rave
I see the blow out in the top of the tire (1st photo), but your 2nd photo is a bit tough to recognize. Are those holes in the wheel or the tire?
That is inside the wheel.

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
That is very unusual. Looks to me like you hit something that had two long "spikes" in it that went threw the tire and the wheel barrel. I have no idea what that might have been.
I'm just as clueless.

Needless to say, the car is going to be getting some new shoes... yay...
Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Seems like had it been something you ran over in the road, it would have punctured your front tire as well. Have you checked wheel-well and the rest of the underside of the car for similar damage from a possible ricochet or whatever it was?

Keep us posted...
Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
C7BlackOnBat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Seems like had it been something you ran over in the road, it would have punctured your front tire as well. Have you checked wheel-well and the rest of the underside of the car for similar damage from a possible ricochet or whatever it was?

Keep us posted...
I haven't yet, but will tomorrow when the wheel/tire is removed. I'll also grab more pictures as I can.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Wow... Based on the second pic something hit your tire/rim hard. I hope it wasn't a bullet. I'm no gun expert but I can't imagine what would create two breaches that close together while the car was in motion. You didn't hear something smashing up under the wheel well? Glad this situation didn't turn out worse.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM
C7BlackOnBat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Wow... Based on the second pic something hit your tire/rim hard. I hope it wasn't a bullet. I'm no gun expert but I can't imagine what would create two breaches that close together while the car was in motion. You didn't hear something smashing up under the wheel well? Glad this situation didn't turn out worse.
There was an initial loud bang, then the flapping sound of the tire. wheel well looks mostly okay from what i can tell.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you "encountered," be glad it was on the wheel/tire, not your WINDSHIELD.

BTW, the bullet theory seems a stretch to me. Even if it was an armor-piercing round, I can't imagine a bullet piercing a tire and continuing on with enough energy to do that kind of damage to a wheel.

There are probably ballistics experts out there who will opine on this.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Looks like murder!

Originally Posted by C7BlackOnBat
Had blowout the other night while driving home, and the damage is like nothing I've ever seen before. For reference, the tires only have about 14.7k miles on them.

So when it happened I pulled over safely, and took a peak at the tire (right rear). From what I could tell the tire was in good shape. Road was clear of debris and potholes. At this point i'm completely confused.

As the tires were run flats and I had less than 5 miles, I was able to drive it safely home. I attempted to air up the tire to see if i can find where the hole was, and air was coming out of the wheel/tire as fast as my air compressor could send it. As the lighting in my garage wasn't the best I didn't spend a lot of time looking around.

Next morning drive to my local discount tire (about 8 miles) to have them check out the tire, and replace it if needed. They don't have that size tire in stock, so won't touch the car until the new tire arrives. Okay, sure, tire ordered.

I get a call this morning hoping to hear that my vette was ready to hit the road. Instead I'm connected to one of the sales guys who seems to be amazed at what had happened. He described the issue as if "someone had shot the wheel with a gun". This left me scratching my head. He tells me that they can't mount a tire on this wheel and that I needed to come down and let them know what to do about this.

I get to discount and they walk me over to the car and show me what they meant. And i'll be damned, there are two holes in the rim facing the center of the wheel.

So, I'm posting this to see if anyone else has ever ran into this issue, just in general, or, if there is any history of these wheels being 'weak'?

Tire looks like a single bullet entry wound. Inner wheel shows twin exit wounds. Check inside if tire and wheel area for lead fragments. The steel cord in the tire could have split the bullet resulting in two exit wounds, OR a tumbling bullet could have dinged two spots close to each other.

Without the Zapruder film, we might never know. It's up to the Warren Commission to determine the real truth.

Make sure that you don't have any unpaid debts to any Big Hairy Italian guys.

My apologies to any Italians offended by this.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
pbergmann (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

There was an initial loud bang, then the flapping sound of the tire. wheel well looks mostly okay from what i can tell.
the tire didn't actually separate like a retread so this was more than likely coming from the object that caused the damage.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

That is just ! Never seen anything like it.

Can not see how it would have been a gunshot. The bullet would have had to been shot at almost road level to enter the tire at that angle, (couldn't do it straight down) penetrate the tire carcass & steel belts and the bullet fragments would then have had to retain enough energy to exit through a cast or forged wheel barrel.

My guess would be something like a solid spike like object similar to the strips LEOs use to blowout a car's tires to stop it.
Dif (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

IMO you hit a metal Rod of some kind and long enough that when it went into the tire, it was long enough to break through the wheel at the same time.
And it broke through the barrel of the wheel twice before you stopped.

As Tennblkc6 mentioned, you're not going to hear a Run Flat flapping unless it was shredded and part of the tire was hanging off.
The flapping noise came from the object that punctured the tire and Wheel.

PS: was typing while Scruff Vette already posted

Last edited by Dif; 11-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You can see the edge of the opening in the wheel, and it looks very thin. Maybe just a defect in the wheel that failed when impacted by whatever penetrated the tire.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I think you encountered the "Devil's Pitchfork". Glad you are OK and didn't lose control of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 wheel damage from blowout

Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
IMO you hit a metal Rod of some kind and long enough that when it went into the tire, it was long enough to break through the wheel at the same time.
That's my guess too. Here's what happened to my BMW last year when I hit an open-end wrench. It didn't cause any damage to the inner part of my rim but it's possible it could have if it was longer.
Dif (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

That's just crazy. Good thing your ok and the damage wasn't worse.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I think you hit a broken portion of a lawn rake that fell off the back of a landscapers truck.

Quick Reply: Z51 wheel damage from blowout