Originally Posted by walker3
don't wax at all - use a good polymer or ceramic coating
Old 11-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by walker3
don't wax at all - use a good polymer or ceramic coating
Can you apply these yourself or do you recommend a professional?
Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

either

I have done several cars myself - for me and friends
Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Mitch84
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Dawn Wash - Clay - Zaino - Pinnacle Sovereign.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (11-20-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:42 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Those C7 owners who are serious about maintaining an impressive look and overall quality appearance to the vehicle will complete some research and hopefully, accept new technologies and products in the world of car care and detailing.

The old style of waxing a vehicle is quickly fading as top notch detail professionals are moving into product use of polymer paint sealants and nano ceramic coatings.

There are many products available in polymer sealants and paint coatings that can be applied by individual car owner(s). There is a ton of guidance available on the proper paint prep and application of these products which make a DIY detail project easy to perform.

Also, there are extremely knowledgeable people here on the Corvette Forum that have provided proven successful technological detailing products and methods.

I see numerous beautiful vehicles on the road. It is quite easy to see which car owners that have a passion to maintain the look & appearance of their cars, while other owners do not.

Too many of the luxury and sports cars I see the owners lack the appearance and disregard for the vehicle ownership.

The C7 is a stunning sports car, so why not want to maintain the look to the highest quality and appearance possible.

Gonzo (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Your paint finish may look like new, but is it really?

I would think your paint surface is loaded with contaminants.

Do the simple sandwich baggie test. Take a sandwich baggie (not freezer bag) insert your hand and softly and smoothly rub your hand over the surface.

If your fingers feel the surface has a sandpaper like feel, you need to detail your C7.

You may not feel the imperfections with your bare hand/fingers only, but the using the thin plastic bag will provide a great indication of surface contaminants.

Also waxing is old, there are many new tech products like paint sealers and paint coatings that are far superior to any wax product.

Let us know what you felt.

Just did the baggie test and I felt what you were talking about. However, it was not really bad as I thought it might be-as there were plenty of smooth areas and only specs here and there-unless I was missing the point of the test-I was feeling for bumps on the surface. But yeah, I probably should bite the bullet and wax her.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 11-19-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Just did the baggie test and I felt what you were talking about. However, it was not really bad as I thought it might be-as there were plenty of smooth areas and only specs here and there-unless I was missing the point of the test-I was feeling for bumps on the surface. But yeah, I probably should bite the bullet and wax her.
Corgidog1:

Yes, the baggie test is simple and really tells the story.

Before waxing, I suggest you wash the C7 with a car wash or a Dawn soap and use a new technology called a surface prep mitt. I guarantee you will be amazed at the new quality of the paint surface. Ultra slick and extremely smooth.

Available at Amazon.....Eagle One Surface Prep Mitt for the large areas like the hood, side quarter panels and the NanoSkin Surface Prep Sponge for the small areas. You will not regret buying these 2 items and they are reusable. It is a low-cost investment to obtain an ultra-smooth and slick paint surface.

Then apply your favorite wax or sealer. I suggest a bottle of Blackfire Polish & Seal for just $19.00

Using the Blackfire, there is no need for wax. Easy to apply. The results are fantastic.

This method and product is ideal for the C7 owner that does not want to spend a lot of money or time detailing cars but wants a great result with little effort and expense. Other's like myself take the car detailing projects to another level, and many would think I am crazy. There are ton's or products available and the Blackfire is a proven product for great results.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-to...lish-seal.html

Best to you and thanks for letting us know the results of the surface test you did.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-850...face+prep+mitt

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-0...anoskin+sponge

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKFIRE-Tot...olish+and+seal

Attached Images    

Last edited by nmvettec7; 11-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Gonzo (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Mitch84
Instructor

Zaino is highly proven as a great product then seal with a high quality Wax like Pinnacle then call it a day!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mitch84
Zaino is highly proven as a great product then seal with a high quality Wax like Pinnacle then call it a day!
Takes way to often long vs the new gen stuff as nmvette7writes above.....
JerryU (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Mitch84
Instructor

I would not over think it ... It's a Car ... It's not your skin.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:03 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mitch84
I would not over think it ... It's a Car ... It's not your skin.
That's why Post #28 above is an ideal process for the amateur detailer but provides professional results, with low cost and no major effort.

Try it, you'll like it.

Gonzo (11-22-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 12:07 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
How soon after delivery should a wax be applied?
I waxed my 2016 just as soon as I bought it, last month. Since purchasing corvettes I have used a wax called (RejeX). Best I have ever used. Started with C6 2009 and even a Detail company asked me what I used on my Vette. Don't use a buffer and put on by hand and don't let it stay too long or it will be hard to get off. You have to leave it inside your garage to CURE for 12 HOURS. Do not put any other wax on top of this. It will last for 6 months. Pretty expensive, . Order from Dallas, Texas. www.corrosionx.com
Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Can/should we clay mitt expel?

im getting ready to hit it with all my new goodies I bought.

Clay mitt
griots buffer
minor swirl fix on non Xpel areas with Chen guys V36

also have
V38
jetseal
butter wet wax
V7 quick detail

no...won't use ALL of them. But various Options and such.

With th all that, what do you guys say...

Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Rejex is last generation. I used it for years. But now you have products that wipe on and you walk away- no buffing. Three of the best are Zaino CS, black fire Crystal seal, and Ultima paint guard plus. And yes they are absolutely as good as Rejex .....Step in the 2017… You seriously can seal your car in 30 minutes - For six months.

Rejex was invented by a guy named Ed Collin for Desert Storm I, and it was tweeked so that you don't have to buff it off, by Dr. Gnassi at Optimum. He also invented coatings (opti-coat). This guy is a true game changer in the detailing business. That's when everything changed.
17gs (11-23-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
How soon after delivery should a wax be applied?

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Zaino it....
Hmm, this is not you grandfathers enamel paint! You can put whatever on it when it leaves the factory.

Wax also went out as the preferred protectant yeas ago. I use Zaino but there are a number of clear protectants available. Washed, clayed and put Zaino on as soon as I got the car home!

Guess it depends how old you are, I'm "only 74!" Just had our 1st great grandson and I'm sure there will be something even better when he gets his 1st Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-19-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Some good info about coatings here:
http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-apply...t-coating.html

Get notified of new replies

To Waxing recommendations

Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
Can/should we clay mitt expel?

im getting ready to hit it with all my new goodies I bought.

Clay mitt
griots buffer
minor swirl fix on non Xpel areas with Chen guys V36

also have
V38
jetseal
butter wet wax
V7 quick detail

no...won't use ALL of them. But various Options and such.

With th all that, what do you guys say...

I do not have Xpel on my C7 or any other car. Been there done that with film shield protection. Won't use a film shield ever again.

The material is soft, and I personally would "not" use an electric buffer over the surface of any film shield product.

My suggestion rather than get a mass amount of opinions is to query a few Xpel installers and see what type of answers you get to your questions.

You would not want to lose any shine that you currently have or do anything to the vinyl surface to dull the product.

Let us all know what you find out from a "Professional".

Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Corgidog1:

Yes, the baggie test is simple and really tells the story.

Before waxing, I suggest you wash the C7 with a car wash or a Dawn soap and use a new technology called a surface prep mitt. I guarantee you will be amazed at the new quality of the paint surface. Ultra slick and extremely smooth.

Available at Amazon.....Eagle One Surface Prep Mitt for the large areas like the hood, side quarter panels and the NanoSkin Surface Prep Sponge for the small areas. You will not regret buying these 2 items and they are reusable. It is a low-cost investment to obtain an ultra-smooth and slick paint surface.

Then apply your favorite wax or sealer. I suggest a bottle of Blackfire Polish & Seal for just $19.00

Using the Blackfire, there is no need for wax. Easy to apply. The results are fantastic.

This method and product is ideal for the C7 owner that does not want to spend a lot of money or time detailing cars but wants a great result with little effort and expense. Other's like myself take the car detailing projects to another level, and many would think I am crazy. There are ton's or products available and the Blackfire is a proven product for great results.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-to...lish-seal.html

Best to you and thanks for letting us know the results of the surface test you did.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-850...face+prep+mitt

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-0...anoskin+sponge

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKFIRE-Tot...olish+and+seal

would you put a ceramic on that ?.....or perhaps a wax ? if you wanted to go to the next step. What would ideal finish be?........Thanks.

Last edited by Gonzo; 11-19-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:21 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gonzo
would you put a ceramic on that ?.....or perhaps a wax ? if wanted to go to the next step. What would ideal finish be?........Thanks.
My suggestion and method in post#28 above is an ideal method, process, and product for the car owners who wants to achieve a great finish with an inexpensive cost for material and a small amount of time. And, for the person who does not normally want to detail out their vehicles for one reason or another.

As for myself, I am a detailing junkie. I am always open to new technologies and products and the old way of detailing with waxes and clay bars are truly a method of the past. I keep all of my premium sports cars in top shape "car show" appearance.

My thought is, these premiums vehicles I own are works of art and design and the C7 when very clean in appearance is simply a stunning sports car.

All of my vehicles have been nano ceramic coated as a DIY project. I have used many different brands of ceramic coatings and my favorite is the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2. Blackfire Crystal, a paint sealant is also high on my list (thanks to "Glen e" for the Blackfire recommendation). While it takes some time to apply a ceramic coating the effort and time are well worth it for the time the product will last.

The Pinnacle is a paint coating while the Blackfire is paint sealant and there is a difference in the durability of the products. A ceramic coating will last much longer in durability than a paint sealant. 2 years (ceramic) vs 6 to 9 months (sealant).

In order for me to complete the detailing project properly with proper surface prep, it takes about 6 hours per vehicle (1 man job) just doing the painted surface. I also ceramic coat the wheels and all glass on the vehicles.

While it takes time initially, future washing and cleaning is a breeze. I can now wash and dry my sports cars in about 30-35 minutes and the end result is stunning in both shine and reflective qualities.

The detail work comes down to how much the car owner is willing to spend and how much time they are willing to dedicate to keeping the vehicle looking in better than showroom condition. I enjoy the time I spend and get a lot of satisfaction at the end result.

I am sure other car owners will provide their input.

Bottom line is, with new technology in products, you do not have to be a rocket scientist to obtain superior results in a DIY detailing project. It is a learning experience and the more you do, the more you learn about the products and the easier it gets.

Gonzo (11-20-2016)

Quick Reply: Waxing recommendations