Sponsored by:

Gasoline brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEKEDC7
I have used Chevron only since the C6. Never have had any fuel system problems, so I continue using it in the C7. Since it has Techron, as does Texaco, I've always relied on that fuel.
I use only Chevron gasoline & their additive. GM, Ford, & Chrysler all use Chevron fuel (trucked in from Kentucky since it's not sold in Michigan) for their EPA testing. Also, Chevron is the largest fuel additive manufacturer that supplies other companies with their additives; however, Techron is never sold to another company (Texaco is a Chevron company). My two cents is per Chevron; I'm a large shareholder by way of Texaco.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't buy unbranded gas, period. On the road, I'll buy branded Top Tier E10 before I'll buy any unbranded gas. If I'm forced to buy unbranded(or run out of gasoline in the middle of Nowhere, UT) then I'll add a bottle of Techron to the tank(I carry a bottle with me, but so far, never had to use it on the road). I buy Top Tier ethanol free gasoline when I can and Top Tier E10 otherwise. On a recent vacation to Deadwood, SD, only once did I have to buy E10 premium(at a Mobil station in Deadwood). One tankful in 2,500 miles of driving through four states. The other six fill ups were at Top Tier stations like BP, Cenex, Shell, Phillips 66 and Conoco that sold ethanol free premium.

The availability of ethanol free Top Tier premium varies greatly on which states I'm traveling in. Some states all I can buy is E10 premium, but it will be from a Top tier station.

Luckily, locally I can buy 91 ethanol free and 93 ethanol free Top Tier gasoline, so my vintage Vettes and my lawn mower loves me.

I'm not a bit concerned about pulling into Top Tier stations like Conoco, Shell, etc and their premium gas is ethanol free. All gas sold at a Top Tier stations has to be Top Tier, thus they can't be selling an off brand gas at one pump and Concoco, Shell, etc at the other pumps.

"TOP TIER™ fuel marketers use TOP TIER™ for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations. So all grades provide enhanced cleaning power."

"The fuel marketer cannot select only certain service stations to be TOP TIER™ certified. All stations under a licensed fuel marketer’s brand name or franchise name must use the specified TOP TIER™ additives and detergency treat rate"

Ted Cruz once said he would get rid on the ethanol mandates, but that was before he was knocked out of the primaries. Haven't heard a word from Trump about his feelings on ethanol. Hope he dumps the mandates and lets the free market decide what gasoline people want to buy or not buy. Personally, if the oil companies are given the choice, I bet ethanol free 100% pure gas will be cheaper than E10 gas at the pump.
Personally, I'm not so sure that ethanol free gasoline has all of the right additives, if any. I noticed that when I pull into a station that sells ethanol free gasoline, the pump is usually not marked with the brand (like Chevron, Shell, Mobil, etc.).
Old 11-21-2016, 10:21 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Personally, I'm not so sure that ethanol free gasoline has all of the right additives, if any. I noticed that when I pull into a station that sells ethanol free gasoline, the pump is usually not marked with the brand (like Chevron, Shell, Mobil, etc.).
That was the point I was making back in post #31 that JoesC5 pooh-poohed. I have seen unbranded gas in a different context and I know with 100% certainty that that context is an exception to top tier rules. Out in the middle of nowhere, there may be an orphaned major station like Shell or Chevron that is so isolated, they can’t get their company’s additives. They will have a Shell or Chevron sign on the station, but their pumps will just say regular and premium. Top tier gives an exception for such stations. You can tell them because the company’s brand name is only on the station’s main sign, not on the pumps. I admit that I don’t know whether that same exception can be used at a station selling branded gas. For example, could it have one pump branded as Shell V-Power or Chevron Supreme and another pump that simply says ethanol free premium without the Shell or Chevron brand? I don’t know if that’s legal with top tier rules or not, but if I ever encountered a station labeled like that, I’d be inclined to think that the pump labeled ethanol free premium without any mention of Shell, Chevron, V-Power, Techron, Nitro, etc, had only EPA standard additives and was not top tier. On the other hand, if the ethanol free pump is labeled on the actual pump as Shell or Chevron or mentions Techron or Nitro, then I’d say JoesC5 is correct, and it is ethanol free top tier branded gas.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'd go to Costco but the stations in my area are always lined up around the parking lot.
True, especially the one in Etobicoke and in Vaughan , but I find that the line still moves pretty quick, typically it takes about 10-15 minutes. I will gladly wait that long to save $10 per fill up.

Quick Reply: Gasoline brand