Sponsored by:

Bad experience buying from Georgia dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:19 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Bad experience buying from Georgia dealer

I would like my fellow Corvette Forum members to be aware that you my have significant difficulties if you chose to buy a car from a Georgia dealer as an out-of-state customer.

As a Missouri buyer, I traveled to Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Duluth, Georgia at the end of August 2016 to buy a Corvette Stingray Coupe they had advertised on the Internet. It was the closest car within ~500miles that had the options/color/year I wanted. The salesman John was very personable and I had no problems making the deal for the car.

The first thing an out-of state buyer should be aware that Rick Hendrick Chevrolet has very high document fees. The "Doc Fee", this is the amount a dealer charges to complete all the paperwork related to the sale of a vehicle, including the sales contracts, filings with the DMV, and any other monkey business paperwork. Some states put a limit to how much a dealer can charge, but others like Georgia have no cap - resulting in each dealer charging a different amount, and Rick Hendrick finance office charges a whopping $600.00.

Another thing at the finance office is that while they claim to do quite a few sales to other states, they will argue with you on your own state’s licensing rules, even if you know your state’s titling regulations well.

I knew going in I could not drive the car home due to an unexpected fuel leak - a factory warranty issue. I have chronicled that part of the story elsewhere on this site: New Stingray leaking gas at delivery. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-delivery.html

So I left with a Rick Hendrick Chevrolet rental (good service on their part) and Rick Hendrick Chevy fixed the leak and delivered the car 2 weeks later.

On delivery I found a gouged the plastic trim panel right there at the driver’s door threshold. There are several very obvious gouges in the plastic. I don’t know the exact name of the trim panel, but I didn’t remember anything like that gouge when we looked the car over in Duluth, GA., but it was there on delivery.

I wrote the GA Chevrolet Dealer an email with pix, and requested they send me a replacement part with installation instructions, or contact a local Missouri Chevy dealer to do the remove and replace for them. They agreed to send the trim panel, & it arrived after 2 weeks and my two calls on the part.

Before 30 days were up, I called the salesman to remind him that I never received the manufacturer's title (sometimes called a MSO) - manufacturer’s statement of origin to register the car. He made excuses about looking into what happened to the MSO.

Before a month went by, I called my salesman John and reminded him that in the state of Missouri, the title is delivered to the BUYER who registers the car, and who HOLDS TITLE with any leinholder listed on the title. Missouri has penalties for late registration. 30 days gone - 40 days, I'm calling and talking to sales, sales manager, & finance manager. Now I finally get some runaround story that “We mailed the papers and title - - why don’t you have it??

The paperwork is finally traced to - - get this - - Jefferson City MO. What the F*?? The state captiol DMV cannot license my car w/o my tax receipts, proof of insurance, and a check for my taxes!!

50 days - 60 days & more. NO registration = NO license = NO driving my new car!! Finally after a dozen calls in that time, Rick Hendrick Chevy finally admits they totally screwed up the process with the MO DMV - I should have received the title as I suspected.

The whole kit had been kicked back BACK to Rick Hendrick Chevy from the state DMV and the dealer had to turn around and FedEx the paperwork back to me.

So just this last Tuesday, I was able to properly title and register my car, with two months penalty. Rick Hendrick Chevy only paid ONE month's penalty, leaving me paying the 2nd months late registration penalty. I appears at this time from the silence I'm getting that the extra late registration penalty is my “Thanks” from Rick Hendrick Chevy for buying from them out of state.

In conclusion, when buying from Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Duluth, Georgia, you may have a peach of a time if you are a Georgia resident, but out-of-state buyers beware!!

TL;DR
Missouri resident had very hard time getting title and licensing papers from dealership, then said dealership stiffed buyer with DMV penalties the dealer had accrued.
The following 11 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
$$$frumnuttin' (11-19-2016), BarneyZ (11-21-2016), bjones7131 (11-21-2016), Corvette ED (11-19-2016), Foosh (11-19-2016), Gonzo (11-19-2016), gunnerjuju (11-18-2016), Landru (11-19-2016), Rebel Yell (11-19-2016), robert miller (11-19-2016), Vetteram (11-21-2016) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2016, 03:53 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I was considering buying a left over C6 in '12 from them. glad I decided to skip the new car at the time. Hate doc fees too.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

In FL, alot of dealers charge $600-700 for DOC fees.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

No BS like that from McMulkin.
The following 2 users liked this post by juanvaldez:
gunnerjuju (11-18-2016), SyberSaint (11-20-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:19 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Some salesmen refer to "doc fees" as ADP.....Additional Dealer Profit. LOL!

I understand the dealerships have costs of doing business -- but some of these things just go way beyond reasonable. It borders on false advertising as well because some will quote you a price of xx dollars for a car, but won't disclose those "fees" until you go to sign the paperwork.

I don't know about dealers in other states, but many (of all makes) here in Virginia are famous for that crap. One local franchise hoses you for $600 on every sale.....even USED cars!

The following users liked this post:
fnbrowning (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep! The GA people have a bad rep which is well known on this site. Most out of state buyers go north.

However, I could not get any of the forum venders here (Conman, Furby, etc.,.) to deal with me either.

All dealerships have there bad moments. Some more than others. It's retail sales!

Last edited by Speedforhire; 11-18-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:32 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If you are going to be out of state clearly it is advisable to deal with a dealer who does this on a regular basis. A screw up like this is indicative that this dealer lacks the expertise needed on an out of state buyer. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I would like my fellow Corvette Forum members to be aware that you my have significant difficulties if you chose to buy a car from a Georgia dealer as an out-of-state customer.

As a Missouri buyer, I traveled to Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Duluth, Georgia at the end of August 2016 to buy a Corvette Stingray Coupe they had advertised on the Internet. It was the closest car within ~500miles that had the options/color/year I wanted. The salesman John was very personable and I had no problems making the deal for the car.

The first thing an out-of state buyer should be aware that Rick Hendrick Chevrolet has very high document fees. The "Doc Fee", this is the amount a dealer charges to complete all the paperwork related to the sale of a vehicle, including the sales contracts, filings with the DMV, and any other monkey business paperwork. Some states put a limit to how much a dealer can charge, but others like Georgia have no cap - resulting in each dealer charging a different amount, and Rick Hendrick finance office charges a whopping $600.00.

Another thing at the finance office is that while they claim to do quite a few sales to other states, they will argue with you on your own state’s licensing rules, even if you know your state’s titling regulations well.

I knew going in I could not drive the car home due to an unexpected fuel leak - a factory warranty issue. I have chronicled that part of the story elsewhere on this site: New Stingray leaking gas at delivery. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-delivery.html

So I left with a Rick Hendrick Chevrolet rental (good service on their part) and Rick Hendrick Chevy fixed the leak and delivered the car 2 weeks later.

On delivery I found a gouged the plastic trim panel right there at the driver’s door threshold. There are several very obvious gouges in the plastic. I don’t know the exact name of the trim panel, but I didn’t remember anything like that gouge when we looked the car over in Duluth, GA., but it was there on delivery.

I wrote the GA Chevrolet Dealer an email with pix, and requested they send me a replacement part with installation instructions, or contact a local Missouri Chevy dealer to do the remove and replace for them. They agreed to send the trim panel, & it arrived after 2 weeks and my two calls on the part.

Before 30 days were up, I called the salesman to remind him that I never received the manufacturer's title (sometimes called a MSO) - manufacturer’s statement of origin to register the car. He made excuses about looking into what happened to the MSO.

Before a month went by, I called my salesman John and reminded him that in the state of Missouri, the title is delivered to the BUYER who registers the car, and who HOLDS TITLE with any leinholder listed on the title. Missouri has penalties for late registration. 30 days gone - 40 days, I'm calling and talking to sales, sales manager, & finance manager. Now I finally get some runaround story that “We mailed the papers and title - - why don’t you have it??

The paperwork is finally traced to - - get this - - Jefferson City MO. What the F*?? The state captiol DMV cannot license my car w/o my tax receipts, proof of insurance, and a check for my taxes!!

50 days - 60 days & more. NO registration = NO license = NO driving my new car!! Finally after a dozen calls in that time, Rick Hendrick Chevy finally admits they totally screwed up the process with the MO DMV - I should have received the title as I suspected.

The whole kit had been kicked back BACK to Rick Hendrick Chevy from the state DMV and the dealer had to turn around and FedEx the paperwork back to me.

So just this last Tuesday, I was able to properly title and register my car, with two months penalty. Rick Hendrick Chevy only paid ONE month's penalty, leaving me paying the 2nd months late registration penalty. I appears at this time from the silence I'm getting that the extra late registration penalty is my “Thanks” from Rick Hendrick Chevy for buying from them out of state.

In conclusion, when buying from Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Duluth, Georgia, you may have a peach of a time if you are a Georgia resident, but out-of-state buyers beware!!

TL;DR
Missouri resident had very hard time getting title and licensing papers from dealership, then said dealership stiffed buyer with DMV penalties the dealer had accrued.
Bottom line is that you had a negative experience with them, don't buy another one from them... plenty of Chevrolet dealers out there
Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 PM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ridiculous fees, I have bought several corvettes with doc fees less than $50 or sometimes none at all.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Zaphod B
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Correct!

No documentation fees, and they know out-of-state titling & registration requirements. I am a Texas resident, and left McMulkin with the MCO and all other paperwork required to obtain Texas titling and registration.

When I got back to Texas after road-tripping my GS from New Hampshire I walked out of the county tax assessor's office with Texas plates, and 10 days later I had a clear title in the mail.
The following users liked this post:
gunnerjuju (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:41 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
This^^^ One of the easiest transactions that I've ever made.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:17 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

just finished my purchase with McMulkin and was" happy as a pig in sh#t". They were easy to do business with and the sales people were phenomenal. I never intended to purchase from a dealer but again Jessy & Kenny G (yes that's his name) were very patient and knowledgeable. Best of all they left be alone for a couple of hours with a bag filled with all the keys to the kingdom. by the time I was done going over the cars I knew I was buying from them. No fee's and no bs. I made my offer they accepted and tbh I do hope that they made some good $$ from the sale as I walked out completely satisfied with the price. Car is still there getting expel put on.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I live in Ga and will not buy from any dealer with doc fees, I bought mine from a Days Chev in Acworth Ga they have no doc fees or no hidden cost. There Service Department is top on the line. It's a small dealer but they do get allocations and they also have floor stock.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:19 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up...will avoid.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:25 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Doc fees like everything else is negotiable... when hammering out a deal ill usually state that i will pay $100 for extra BS fees. Its never been turned dow or killed a deal
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
Doc fees like everything else is negotiable... when hammering out a deal ill usually state that i will pay $100 for extra BS fees. Its never been turned dow or killed a deal
Maybe you can make that statement if you're buying in Ohio where there the cap on doc fees is 1/2 of the average Georgia doc fee!

And I guarantee you that in a situation where you've flown to a distant city to buy a car. . . . and the finance manager is standing adamant on the doc fee. . . you'll be paying their fee or flying your butt back home empty handed!
The following 2 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
gunnerjuju (11-18-2016), kp (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:20 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
When I tried to buy from a ford dealer recently, I was told their $200 doc fee was state law and they were obligated to charge me the fee. Non negotiable.
I think there is a law about doc fees around here, but the wording is that a dealer cannot be selective about charging the fees if they decide to have the fees in the first place. Found another dealer with a better deal on a similar car and no doc fees.

Bought the C7 from Macmulkin. Slick transaction and had the MSO before I had the car. Titling it myself was slightly more complicated than re registering a car in person. Hardest part was waiting in the Soviet Union style line at the court house.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad experience buying from Georgia dealer

Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought my Stingray from John Megel in Dawsonville. After getting 20% off of MSRP I didn't care about the $499 Doc fees. The deal was win/win.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Some Florida dealers have fee of $899 and once I was told I had to pay it but they would subtract it from the price of the car, which they did so I made out ok but as someone else stated you can negotiate that just like you can the price of the car. Every state has their own laws and down here the ones that don't have the fee will not negotiate as much.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

So get this complicated deal I did.

Location Memphis TN. Own a 2015 z51 3lt.

Purchasing a 2016 Z from H&H Chevrolet in Omaha Nebraska. 22.5% off.

Find a buyer in of all place for mine Anchorage Alaska.

Terry @ H&H not only handles my out of state deal, but does a drive through on my sell to the new owner and credit union in Alaska. Only fee for everything $288.00

Love the new Z, awesome price and experience with H&H (And Terry) ZERO regrets.

Only bad part was driving all the way from Omaha during break-in and not having fun.

PS look at Hendricks on eBay. Love the race team wouldn't touch the dealership with a 10foot pole.

Quick Reply: Bad experience buying from Georgia dealer