Things I hate about my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
Who else does?
With a little bit of googling (which you could easily done yourself) I found the following:

. Challenger (https://www.futuremotoring.com/2014/...ll-skip-shift/)
. Ford GT 100, Trans Am, Firebird, GTO all mentioned http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/5-ge...live-well.html

And, of course, the vette.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Who else does?
My viper does.

Wah........
Old 11-22-2016, 10:06 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by defaria
With a little bit of googling (which you could easily done yourself) I found the following:

. Challenger (https://www.futuremotoring.com/2014/...ll-skip-shift/)
. Ford GT 100, Trans Am, Firebird, GTO all mentioned http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/5-ge...live-well.html

And, of course, the vette.
oh, lol my bad. I thought you meant cars that currently do it. Firebird died in 2002 etc.
The following users liked this post:
Jpiatchek (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Sheesh

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I never understood these kinds of threads...

"My C7 is much more than a car to me. It has deep sentimental value to me. However, it is not without faults." This statement seems almost like a contradiction to me.

OP, I hate to tell you, but every car has it's faults. If your C7 has so many faults, sell it. And all the best of luck finding a car without any faults......sheesh.
Sheesh! Steven it seem like you and Zymurgy as moderators, as well as many others have pretty thin skin when it comes to anybody who has anything negative to say about the beloved StingRay.
The op has a right to his opinion without everyone going after him.
I love the StingRay. I am on my 3rd, but they are not without fault. The cup holders are a joke.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:35 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Snowflake
kenownr (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Its a Vette! not a minivan ! enough said,
Jbster (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

oh, lol my bad. I thought you meant cars that currently do it. Firebird died in 2002 etc.
Does that really make difference? My guess is no. The point is many cars do, generally the cars with lots of power who eat lots of gas.

Do yourself a favor and fork out $30 to get the skip-shift eliminator and stop complaining here. We've all heard it before and quite frankly we're tired of hearing it!

Meantime learn how to Google to answer your own questions before asking them and looking like you're too lazy to lift a finger. Amaze your friends!

Originally Posted by Jpiatchek
Sheesh! Steven it seem like you and Zymurgy as moderators, as well as many others have pretty thin skin when it comes to anybody who has anything negative to say about the beloved StingRay.
It's a dumb issue that has been discussed ad nauseam! Hell my '85 had this and that's over 30 frigging years ago. There's no reason to keep bringing this up. We all know about it and the fix is cheap and easy (just like I like my women).

The op has a right to his opinion without everyone going after him.
Actually he has absolutely no right to his opinion without everybody going after him. Sure he has a right to an opinion but so do we. And we outnumber him. Besides if you're gonna voice your opinion in public, expect others to disagree. Disagreeing does not take away your right to your opinion.

I love the StingRay. I am on my 3rd, but they are not without fault. The cup holders are a joke.
The cup holders can be improved. Actually there's somebody that has a product but it just augments the current situation.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-22-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make it look like this.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Trans Am, Firebird, GTO all mentioned and also all GM...

I'm fine with arguing my points and hearing counter arguments. Saying I should be in a camry, and me calling you old is kinda silly, but also okay with me. The people with camry pictured ready to go are most likely not as talented as me on a road course. Just sayin.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-22-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My single annoyance with this car is MyLink. I think it's really bad, dated technology and could be much better. Seems like most manufacturers have this problem, so it's not just GM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:14 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
This is the car for you. No irritating tire-scrub in the morning, plenty of deep cup-holders, no problem with the skip shift and most importantly, no orange-peel.

Screw that, he should get this, keep the $ as domestic as we can:
Old 11-22-2016, 11:21 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

I didn't mention the tackey plastic bits around the wheel wells on the front fender because I don't have them. They are hideous though. Looks like GM was too lazy to develop a proper fender for the wide bodies
Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
1) Look up Ackerman Steering Geometry, then put skinny tires on your front wheels (or tires with very little grip). "Problem" solved.

2) Your center console could be made 6 inches taller to provide a deeper cup holder. But, do you really want that? I'm sure you realize there is a torque tube running thru there and ground clearance doesn't allow more room under the console. I guess you could make it a high rider and you can make your cup holders much deeper.

3) It is not a "cheat" because it operates the same way under EPA testing as it does on the road (unlike the VW cheat). It is there to help avoid the gas guzzler tax and to help meet CAFE. Guess you'd rather pay $1000+ gas guzzler than $30 on a skip shift eliminator.

4) Sorry yours has bad orange peel. Mine is no worse than any other car in the parking garage at work. Hopefully the $400 million + GM is spending on the new paint facility at Bowling Green will eliminate this (or at least significantly improve it).
Every car has its faults.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

My c7 is much more than a car to me. It has deep sentimental value to me. However, it is not without faults. My list from most annoying to least goes something like this. For reference, I have a 2016 z51, but I believe these problems are universal.

#1 The cold weather, full steering lock, "scrub" at low speeds. Are you kidding me? It feels like the car is broken. I wish the turning radius were worse. I would way rather 3, 5, or 7 point turn before I feel that "scrub." Why does it do that? because racing, right? Stupid.

#2 The cup holders. Seriously? Two square holes divided by a removable cheap piece of plastic. That is the answer these engineers came up with? Put any normal water bottle in there and hammer the brakes and your car is taking a Crystal geyser, Aquafina, and Dasani bath. Yes, you can buy the Dodge ram piece and trim it to fit, or stick little pieces if velcro in there. There are lots of tacky solutions. Nothing like home made velcro holding my cups in place, good thing I just spent 75 racks on this car. Terrible.

#3 The skip-shift feature. I know why it is there, but was does the EPA let GM cheat like that? I have only had it lock me out once or twice in the 12k miles. Both times I was stuck in traffic. It is not nearly as bad as it was in my c5, but still, why is it there? Yes, you can buy a skip-shift eliminator, but like problem #2.... I just dropped 75k on a car, I shouldn't have to modify it straight away.

#4 Orange peel. My car has it bad. I understand not everyone's does. My young eyes can see it easily. However, this bothers me very little. I could easily see this being someone's #1, if you are OCD about that stuff.

Thoughts?
Have had my C7 for over 3 years. Have an answer to your 1st issue and solutions to 2 & 3.

1) Chatter is basically a high performance tire issue. I don't race but like making high "g" turns and stops, so love the tires! Easily solved by me by not using near full lock when it's below 45F. When backing our of my garage on a summer morning, I make a full lock turn. In winter to make 1 or 2 "K" turns: Here is a PDF describing why it occurs: http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

2) Solved the cup holder soon after I got the car since I always drive with a water bottle. It holds in a 1 "g" stop or turn. Recently found an easy way to increase the depth ~3/32 inches by removing the ribber mat below the insert. Also have a simple way to get the insert to stay in place. This is a PDF of how: http://netwelding.com/Improved_cup_Holder.pdf

3) Eliminated the CAGS issue with a $25 Eliminator in my C6 so did the same with my C7. It does come in less as I very seldom shift below 2000 rpm. However in bumper to bumper traffic that $25 investment is worth it as a safety factor, IMO. This is a PDF of that install: http://netwelding.com/Skip_shift_Eliminator.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 11-23-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default only 4?

from all the posts about different c7 issues you might consider yourself lucky.

My c7 is much more than a car to me. It has deep sentimental value to me. However, it is not without faults. My list from most annoying to least goes something like this. For reference, I have a 2016 z51, but I believe these problems are universal.

#1 The cold weather, full steering lock, "scrub" at low speeds. Are you kidding me? It feels like the car is broken. I wish the turning radius were worse. I would way rather 3, 5, or 7 point turn before I feel that "scrub." Why does it do that? because racing, right? Stupid.

#2 The cup holders. Seriously? Two square holes divided by a removable cheap piece of plastic. That is the answer these engineers came up with? Put any normal water bottle in there and hammer the brakes and your car is taking a Crystal geyser, Aquafina, and Dasani bath. Yes, you can buy the Dodge ram piece and trim it to fit, or stick little pieces if velcro in there. There are lots of tacky solutions. Nothing like home made velcro holding my cups in place, good thing I just spent 75 racks on this car. Terrible.

#3 The skip-shift feature. I know why it is there, but was does the EPA let GM cheat like that? I have only had it lock me out once or twice in the 12k miles. Both times I was stuck in traffic. It is not nearly as bad as it was in my c5, but still, why is it there? Yes, you can buy a skip-shift eliminator, but like problem #2.... I just dropped 75k on a car, I shouldn't have to modify it straight away.

#4 Orange peel. My car has it bad. I understand not everyone's does. My young eyes can see it easily. However, this bothers me very little. I could easily see this being someone's #1, if you are OCD about that stuff.

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Saint_Spinner
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dang...some of you guys are harsh. No car is perfect, including,surprise, surprise; your beloved C7. It's almost like we're not allowed to say anything bad about the C7. OP, I agree with most of your complaints..except the skip shift. That one doesn't bother me as much. Even in LA traffic.

I'd say my biggest gripe is that we can't really fully customize drive modes. I wish we had a "custom" slot that lets us choose individual suspension/tachometer/steering and exhaust settings.

Oh, and the navi. I wish there was a shortcut to just hit home button, and Babi will right away route you back home.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:00 AM
egp
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting to hear Koenigsegg's point of view on orange peel
That's a million dollar paint job! The How Its Made show on the One is pretty good,

Compare to 3:50 in the How Its Made Dream Cars - Corvette Stingray,
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 AM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

I agree with you on the tire hop and turn radius. Scared the **** out of me when I first drove my car, thought I had broken axles. Scares the passengers too, at least I know its normal..

The sound of the dry sump oil system also worried me, but normal.

Two things that bother me is a rattle coming from the right rear passenger area? Sounds like its coming from the speaker or a hinge. Every time I drive over road imperfections I have this rattle sound..

Also at idle on stoplights, had this rattle sound coming from my hood or something...

Brand new car with only 300 miles!

-Josh

Get notified of new replies

To Things I hate about my Vette

Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

I would have to concur on the Mylink...had it in my 14' C7, had it in my 16' Camaro SS, back again in my 16 C7...without a doubt the most inconsistant, memory forgetting , screen blackout, slow responding. .....mess. I do like the upgraded sound "quality" I am experiencing vs. the 14' but still remains the most frustrating part of this car....for me
Old 11-23-2016, 06:42 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Arctic White does not show orange peel, never used cup holders and have not paid much attention to them, tire scrub no big deal, skip shift never shift at that low an RPM, so again a non issue.
No car no matter what you pay is gonna please everyone.
For me the Corvette meets all my expectations.
the drivers side of my artic white is ALL orange peel. don't know about the other side as i only see the driver's side when i sit in my garage and stare it all day.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

I also hate that we can't disconnect the shock softness from the throttle response. We can change the steering and exhaust independently. why not shocks/throttle? BMW does.

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner
Dang...some of you guys are harsh. No car is perfect, including,surprise, surprise; your beloved C7. It's almost like we're not allowed to say anything bad about the C7. OP, I agree with most of your complaints..except the skip shift. That one doesn't bother me as much. Even in LA traffic.

I'd say my biggest gripe is that we can't really fully customize drive modes. I wish we had a "custom" slot that lets us choose individual suspension/tachometer/steering and exhaust settings.

Oh, and the navi. I wish there was a shortcut to just hit home button, and Babi will right away route you back home.
You can save your address in the radio presets. makes it a 1 touch deal. Shoot me a message if you would like help.

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
from all the posts about different c7 issues you might consider yourself lucky.
I am extremely lucky. Everyone driving a c7 is.

6 if you include the plastic bits on the front and the lack of shock/throttle customization.

7 if you include mylink. Honestly, it doesn't make my list, but others were bringing it up.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-23-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make it look like this.

Quick Reply: Things I hate about my Vette