C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 45k miles in a C7 w/ M7. What I think of the A8 tranny...

Old 12-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
For myself, an automatic transmission would always be a disappointment in a Corvette!
We'll said. I'm on my 3rd new Vette in under 4 years, all manuals. I will never own an automatic Vette.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Stop being such a whiney bitch. This isn't a safe zone. Get it tuned if it really bothers you that much.

There are 1.5 billion people in China that would love to have a slow shifting Z07.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:12 PM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the C7R's manual or automatics?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Stop being such a whiney bitch. This isn't a safe zone. Get it tuned if it really bothers you that much.

There are 1.5 billion people in China that would love to have a slow shifting Z07.

You must own an automatic.

There's no room in the safe space. Too crowded with A8 owners.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Anyone expecting/wanting the A8 to shift instantly needs to use more throttle.
Coming from a Manual and expecting the A8 do the exact same thing is not going to happen until learning to make it do what you want when it needs to.
Just putting along using the paddles, it simply doesn't slam into each gear and is designed that way unless you're heavy into the throttle/RPMs.
It's also designed to deny a downshift if your Speed is too high and that lower gear will bring the RPMs to the rev limiter by going into that gear.
When driving a Manual I wouldn't do that and do not expect the Auto to do that either.
Up shifting with the A8 is a bit of a different story and will deny a shift if your Speed and RPMs are to low to warrant going to a higher gear to keep the engine from Lugging.
But briefly bringing up the RPMs will let you up shift and limp along in that higher gear when the RPMs drop a bit.
Anything at 3000 RPM or higher with my A8 using the paddles shifts in a split second, and anything from 4000 RPM up to Red line at WOT, shifts Instantly.

I'm Not implying that anyone doesn't know how to drive an Auto.
The the Auto will not replace the experience of driving a Manual

But there is a learning curve because these new Auto trans are throttle/RPM dependent on how quick they shift.
And letting off the throttle between shifts at slow speeds will cause a noticeable lag in shifts.

Also, when Blipping the throttle to put it in Performance shift mode, ...
Slam the pedal to the floor and Release it instantly,... the engine/RPMs will not do anything.
Only thing that happens is the Trans will go into Performance shift mode.
Just my 2 cents and my experience with the A8 after driving only Manuals
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
L8ter (12-06-2016), Scruff Vette (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 PM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with dif. A8 owners unite! At autocross it will react to aggressive steering input or a quick blip of the throttle. At the track, once you put your foot down it will react. I love the full throttle shifts!
I don't think that Performance Shift Mode was made for the street.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
That was my point. The poster I was replying to was trying to suggest the A8 issues have been solved; they haven't.
IIRC, the torque convertor problems have been solved with NEW torque convertors.

Originally Posted by gamo
Are the C7R's manual or automatics?
The C7.R has an Xtrac 6-speed semi-automatic gearbox Mega-Line sequential paddle shift including reverse gear, limited-slip differential.

Originally Posted by Dif
Coming from a Manual and expecting the A8 do the exact same thing is not going to happen until learning to make it do what you want when it needs to.
Just putting along using the paddles, it simply doesn't slam into each gear and is designed that way unless you're heavy into the throttle/RPMs.
It's also designed to deny a downshift if your Speed is too high and that lower gear will bring the RPMs to the rev limiter by going into that gear.
When driving a Manual I wouldn't do that and do not expect the Auto to do that either.
Up shifting with the A8 is a bit of a different story and will deny a shift if your Speed and RPMs are to low to warrant going to a higher gear to keep the engine from Lugging.
But briefly bringing up the RPMs will let you up shift and limp along in that higher gear when the RPMs drop a bit.
Anything at 3000 RPM or higher with my A8 using the paddles shifts in a split second, and anything from 4000 RPM up to Red line at WOT, shifts Instantly.

But there is a learning curve because these new Auto trans are throttle/RPM dependent on how quick they shift.
And letting off the throttle between shifts at slow speeds will cause a noticeable lag in shifts.

Slam the pedal to the floor and Release it instantly,... the engine/RPMs will not do anything.
Great Post.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
And I consider an inability to understand paddle shift lag and compensate for it to be gross driver error. Do you accelerate post apex or preapex taking into account the time it takes for the throttle to respond and the car to accelerate. The former is driver error and the latter is an accomplished driver. If you can't factor in paddle lag than you aren't awake and aware while operating your vehicle. And an M7 will not compensate for inability to drive.

I am not a drag racer but I would expect that those that have paddle shift lag problems go when the tree hits green. Those that don't go as the last yellow is fully lit.
My complaint has nothing to do with being on the track and shifting at the "right time."
The complaint is that when you click the paddle, there's a delay and its annoying. GM Says it's because the computer needs to "think" about what it needs to do. They must have a 286 processor in the trans computer.

Originally Posted by WKMCD

Whining is my speciality. Tuning won't help the delay. Let me know when you're ready for a Z06

Originally Posted by Speednet
You must own an automatic.

There's no room in the safe space. Too crowded with A8 owners.
How did you know? LOL

Originally Posted by Dif

My complaint isn't how fast the transmission shifts, I think it shifts quick enough without banging into gears. It's about how when in manual mode the paddles have a delay when downshifting or upshifting.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
It's about how when in manual mode the paddles have a delay when downshifting or upshifting.
Re-read his post then get back to us.

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-05-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blue max
Just wondering if you had the mode selector in touring or sport or track

When I go to sport and bury the pedal it is super quick vs being in the Tour mode. The auto is quicker than the stick

Just Sayin
I only drive in sport . Have you tried it yet? It sounds great.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:06 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Re-read his post then get back to us.
Ok, I'm getting back to you.
His first line starts with:
"Anyone expecting/wanting the A8 to shift instantly needs to use more throttle."

Let me know how using more throttle will make my manual shift any quicker...

It's about the LAG that the transmission has when you click the paddle and it actually shifts.

His post is informative for someone that says the A8 does not shift well, fast enough or firm enough.

So let me know your thoughts now and get back to us.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's an idea. Get a Diablo Intune if they make one for the Z. You can used the shift tune stuff. I had on I used before the blower when I had ECS tune the trans at the same time.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. LMAO
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

For those who think the A8 issues are solved, here's one recent thread that suggests it's not.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ealership.html
Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Ok, I'm getting back to you.
His first line starts with:
"Anyone expecting/wanting the A8 to shift instantly needs to use more throttle."

Let me know how using more throttle will make my manual shift any quicker...

It's about the LAG that the transmission has when you click the paddle and it actually shifts.

His post is informative for someone that says the A8 does not shift well, fast enough or firm enough.

So let me know your thoughts now and get back to us.
Ok, I agree, even though the Trans shifts instantly, which I thought was understood, ... Yes, ...there is a delay from the time the Paddle is depressed until the Trans shifts.
But, it only lags going slow and/or RPM is not in a certain range.

At the RPM range I mentioned, 3000 or higher, I do Not have any lag from the time I press the paddle to when the Trans shifts.
And it's the same in Auto mode at the higher RPMs, no lag.

Only time I notice a slight lag, aside from going slow, is at highway speeds, 75/80 or faster, and downshifting more than one gear, say from 8th to 5th.
I tap the paddle 3 times real quick, and the trans shifts from 8th to 5 in less than a second "from the time I hit the paddle".
Yes, in this case even at speed with high RPM, downshifting 3 gears at once, there's a perceptible lag.
Then again and I don't know why, sometimes going down 3 gears at once, the planets must align and there's no lag.
Doing that with a manual might only take 1/2 second.
But it is an Auto

Considering these delays only happen ( for me anyways ) under "less than efficient" conditions, between when the paddle is depressed and the Trans shifts, it's a non issue.
I relate it to leisurely shifting a Manual which would probably take a second or more to push the clutch in and simultaneously moving the shifter into gear.

No offense and I understand if you don't like these delays

*** One other thing to consider which none of us mentioned ...
the A8 Trans learns your driving habits the more miles you put on. ***
It adapts to how you drive, fast, slow, more throttle, less throttle and becomes more efficient and responsive to the way you drive it.
Give it some time and miles and you should see an improvement, both as it adapts and, as you get used to how it responds to your input.
No, sorry it will not become a Manual

Last edited by Dif; 12-05-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by dead of night
But doesn't "hitting the gas hard" present its own problems? Like loss of traction? Especially with the Z06, where you have to be careful with the throttle.
No ! If you don't own one, don't speculate !
The following users liked this post:
AdventurePoser (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,483 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I would drive off a cliff if my daily driver was a manual as I constantly sat in traffic driving from one client meeting to another. It's a lifeless DD, I don't need to be connected to the road or feel the "passion" of driving during the week. I just need to get work done.

Fast forward to the weekend. I have 2 toys, both manuals. As long as I have my hips and knees in good shape(i'm in my late 30s now, hopefully that's the case for a couple more decades), I see no point in not being the master of my vessel. Changing gears is one more way I completely disconnect from the rest of the world when enjoying my fun cars, one more way of connecting with the road.

This is of course my opinion, yours will vary I'm sure, but for me, automatics and sportscars don't mix, unless of coure there's a medical reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT4CMG:
AdventurePoser (12-06-2016), Chuck CoW (12-07-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Do I miss the fun of heel toe shifting ? You bet. Can't do it any more without pain in the left knee. Doesn't help having nerve damage in my right shoulder either. Makes shifting difficult. One of the many reasons I'm thankful for the A8.

Get notified of new replies

To After 45k miles in a C7 w/ M7. What I think of the A8 tranny...

Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,483 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Do I miss the fun of heel toe shifting ? You bet. Can't do it any more without pain in the left knee. Doesn't help having nerve damage in my right shoulder either. Makes shifting difficult. One of the many reasons I'm thankful for the A8.
Exactly what I meant. BTW, Congrats on the new beast. Just read you other post.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM
skipperC7
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I test drove one recently A8 Z06. I didn't like the 'clicking sound' of the paddles back and forth...and I didn't like the salesman constantly saying 'slow down! Oh my God!'
LOL!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Exactly what I meant. BTW, Congrats on the new beast. Just read you other post.
Had to do something. Nothing worse than a 6 yr old with tears running down her face 'cause paw paw goes to the hardware store with her big brother and she can't .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After 45k miles in a C7 w/ M7. What I think of the A8 tranny...