C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Cost Cooling C7 A8. Friend told me his story. Very interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:58 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low Cost Cooling C7 A8. Friend told me his story. Very interesting.

Hello,

Buddy of mine has the same year C7 than I do, Non Z51 with A8. Mine is white, his is blue. Both he and I have put Z51 shocks and sway bars on our cars. He told me that he also would have his tranny just barely overheat around the fifteen minute mark as an intermediate driver at an HPDE event a couple of months ago. He also told me he would get 15 mins in leaving it in D / drive and about 20-22 mins with paddle shifters. He told me that just before his last HPDE which was a couple of weeks ago, he decided to experiment with reasonable / low cost ways to bringing the cars transmission to at least a level before overheating. He told me that he ordered some ARC cooling fins, two found it on ebay. He also told me that a friend of his has a Nissan Z370 also had overheating issues at one point when tracking / hpde. He told me that his buddy put various sheets of the ARC cooling fins all around the transmission and also DEI titanium / volcano wrap around the hot areas surrounding the trans and had good results. My buddy also told me that he also put two sheets of these cooling fins and put them around the trans and also put DEI heat wrapping around the exhaust running down both sides of the exhaust tubing / both sides of the transmission. He told me that his car did not overheat at all at 20-25 minute hpde sessions. He told me that he used Amsoil transmission oil to help lower trans temp. Also, he told me that that the temp was taken acurately with a temp gun. Sound like a good idea. Having put in a secondary cooler up front sounds like a pain. Ger.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea.Let us know how you make out in doing that to yours and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Z51RKT
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photos and results?

From you other posts, it sounds like you performed these mods on your Stingray. Can you post photos of what you did? Also any temp differences that resulted? I have a 2015 Z51 A8 that I'm considering some of these low-cost mods.

Originally Posted by mungodrums

... he decided to experiment with reasonable / low cost ways to bringing the cars transmission to at least a level before overheating. He told me that he ordered some ARC cooling fins, two found it on ebay. ... put various sheets of the ARC cooling fins all around the transmission and also DEI titanium / volcano wrap around the hot areas surrounding the trans and had good results. My buddy also told me that he also put two sheets of these cooling fins and put them around the trans and also put DEI heat wrapping around the exhaust running down both sides of the exhaust tubing / both sides of the transmission....
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Yes. Photos or it didn't happen.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

So even more threads from you on this subject?

You seem very obsessed with overheating your A8 and Also obsessed with starting MANY threads on the exact same thing....

Get notified of new replies

To Low Cost Cooling C7 A8. Friend told me his story. Very interesting.

Quick Reply: Low Cost Cooling C7 A8. Friend told me his story. Very interesting.