Sponsored by:

Some basic safety features would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:56 AM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Some basic safety features would be nice

if chevy is looking at this we would like these options !! especially on a 60k plus car you can get on a hyunda elantra !!

power folding mirrors !!
these mirrors stick way out when parking in your garage

blind spot inicators
car has big blind spots and tiny windows,

adaptive cruise control for automatic cars,

automtaic braking, im sure the sensors are already in place

better carpet, it looks like it came from home depot

other then that car hauls a$$ => LOL

any other missing features ??

Last edited by solarstingray; 12-08-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Popular Reply

12-08-2016, 11:14 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by solarstingray
if chevy is looking at this we would like these options !! especially on a 60k plus car you can get on a hyunda elantra !!
Why don't you buy the Hyunda then?

power folding mirrors !!
How is this a "safety" issue? Might get boo-boos on your mirrors?

blind spot inicators
If you set your mirrors properly there are no blind spots.

Buy a Tesla! Meantime use your concentration to drive your own car.

Another terrible "safety" issue...

And that, after all, is the point!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I agree, but when the engineers build this car they look at weight, even down to the carpeting material! So I think that is why some of those features are not included.

Last edited by joemessman; 12-08-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 AM
solarstingray
Racer

i would agree also,

but i really cant see some of those items adding much weight,

they already have camera's installed and front curb sensors,
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 AM
defaria
Safety Car

power folding mirrors !!

blind spot inicators

The following 12 users liked this post by defaria:
8SPD Z51 (12-08-2016), AWOL (12-09-2016), BlueDevilZ51 (12-08-2016), Boiler_81 (12-08-2016), CandyRed77 (12-08-2016), ea327 (12-08-2016), ExRedRacer (12-08-2016), FLATJ (12-08-2016), KCSODogboy (12-10-2016), Kent1999 (12-08-2016), Steve Garrett (12-08-2016), vettman96 (12-08-2016) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 AM
solarstingray
Racer

your not getting the point,

these are basic items a car should have at this price point,

Originally Posted by defaria

The following users liked this post:
astaggs (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

your not getting the point,

these are basic items a car should have at this price point,
I think maybe you're the one not getting the point.

At *any* given price point, whether its $20k or $120K, there is a decision made as to what % of the cost will be high performance/mechanical engineering, and what % goes to gadgets, comfort, 'soft' materials.

C7 costs the same as a midlevel Lexus sedan. GM chose to put a higher % of its cost into high performing engines, transmissions that can hold up to those high HP engines, and a high end chassis that can handle speeds up to 200 MPH. Lexus chose to rather put a higher % into high end leather, infotainment, gadgets, etc, and then save some $ by using very basic Toyota-style powerplants and cheap unibody chassis (durable, certainly, but nowhere near the C7's power levels and performance levels).

Example: Have you priced out a Lexus that has the C7's power, speed and handling levels? Have you asked yourself why that particular Lexus model costs double (or quadruple) what a C7 costs?

For me, I'm much happier with having more of my $ going to performance rather than gadgets. Your preference may differ, and you certainly have other choices too.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting those features, but there is a lot more to adding those items than just the raw cost of the part --- it also costs money to inventory the additional parts for the line, costs to maintain inventory for spares, money to integrate & test each of those features into car's design, money to add those items into the assembly line, money to cover them under warranty for the inevitable component failures, etc. All those costs are weighed against any *potential* gain in sales from those features, or loss of sales from NOT having those features before the car is green-lighted.

Last edited by Kent1999; 12-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Kent1999:
8SPD Z51 (12-08-2016), beaversstonehaven (12-08-2016), Boiler_81 (12-08-2016), CandyRed77 (12-08-2016), dashotgun (12-08-2016), nethole (12-09-2016), Steve Garrett (12-08-2016), white90conv (12-08-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

As you can see from some of the replies, there is a lot of antagonism about some of these issues. The idea is that this is a "sports" car so who needs all these new fangled wussy features, by God! (Like push button windows, power seats, air conditioning), this despite the fact that the competition, e.g. Jaguar (blind spot indicators) and Porsche (folding mirrors) has managed to implement some of them. Tadge has already said blind spot indicators is not going to happen, and you will continue to see excuses about why some of the others won't either, e.g., weight. Or my favorite: "Blind spot indicators set off my radar detector, therefore I don't want them!"

The reactionary attitude on the part of some folks is kind of puzzling. It's all about keeping up with the competition, and at some point, if this attitude prevails, Corvette is going to look a bit short of expected features. Can you imagine if it still had roll-down windows and no air conditioning? Indeed, this antagonism sounds like a cracker coming off the farm complaining about the new tractors having enclosed cabs. And suggesting we buy other cars if we don't like the lack of features on the Vette is rather missing the point. It ain't all about you, Bubba. If market pressures dictate it, Corvette better conform or pay the price. And if a $20K Toyota can have blind spot indicators, that rather nullifies this idea that they "cost too much."

I predict that these "advanced" features will soon be so common place that their absence will be noted. When every other car you drive, including a Toyota Corolla, has bind spot indicators, they will be missed. And if the government takes notice, they'll likely say, "Do it!" and we'll get them in spite of the naysayers.

There's always resistance to anything the least bit new, whether it is an automatic transmission or the deletion of the choke. You just have to laugh at these people who have a problem with it. Either they will conform, or they'll die and a new generation will take over that grew up with and expects it. After all, the internal combustion engine's days are numbered. Besides, any Tesla Model S can beat the crap out of a Vette anyway. It won't be that long before we'll be saying, "Back in my day we actually drove cars ourselves, and they had these things called cylinders..."

Last edited by mschuyler; 12-08-2016 at 11:58 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by mschuyler:
birdsong (12-08-2016), Nordic_Samurai (12-08-2016), solarstingray (12-08-2016), SterlingDrive (12-09-2016), T_B (12-09-2016), ZenicaPA (12-09-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

"Bubba"? Seriously?? LOL

There's no antagonism here. I am curious, however. Where are all these competitors that have the Corvette's power, chassis, and handling levels, AND all the gadgets that the OP wanted, all for a comparable price? Surely they are out-selling the C7, and would be worthy of a look.

Originally Posted by mschuyler
As you can see from some of the replies, there is a lot of antagonism about some of these issues. The idea is that this is a "sports" car so who needs all these new fangled wussy features, by God! (Like push button windows, power seats, air conditioning), this despite the fact that the competition, e.g. Jaguar (blind spot indicators) and Porsche (folding mirrors) has managed to implement some of them. Tadge has already said blind spot indicators is not going to happen, and you will continue to see excuses about why some of the others won't either, e.g., weight. Or my favorite: "Blind spot indicators set off my radar detector, therefore I don't want them!"

The reactionary attitude on the part of some folks is kind of puzzling. It's all about keeping up with the competition, and at some point, if this attitude prevails, Corvette is going to look a bit short of expected features. Can you imagine if it still had roll-down windows and no air conditioning? Indeed, this antagonism sounds like a cracker coming off the farm complaining about the new tractors having enclosed cabs. And suggesting we buy other cars if we don't like the lack of features on the Vette is rather missing the point. It ain't all about you, Bubba. If market pressures dictate it, Corvette better conform or pay the price. And if a $20K Toyota can have blind spot indicators, that rather nullifies this idea that they "cost too much."

I predict that these "advanced" features will soon be so common place that their absence will be noted. When every other car you drive, including a Toyota Corolla, has bind spot indicators, they will be missed. And if the government takes notice, they'll likely say, "Do it!" and we'll get them in spite of the naysayers.

There's always resistance to anything the least bit new, whether it is an automatic transmission or the deletion of the choke. You just have to laugh at these people who have a problem with it. Either they will conform, or they'll die and a new generation will take over that grew up with and expects it. After all, the internal combustion engine's days are numbered. Besides, any Tesla Model S can beat the crap out of a Vette anyway. It won't be that long before we'll be saying, "Back in my day we actually drove cars ourselves, and they had these things called cylinders..."
lancekl (12-14-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
solarstingray
Racer

keep in mind all these safety feature can be defeated if you so choose to.

im pretty sure the next generation c8 will have them for sure,

the c7 is still an incredible car,i cant think of any sports car with almost 500 hp and gets 30mpg, but why not make it that much better?

i would like to add active bending headlights also it would be nice to see around turns at night, =>

also you could choose what features you like maybe add them to the lt3 model or a optional safety package you can add,

Last edited by solarstingray; 12-08-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If you don't like the C7 go buy something else. It's not that hard.
Landru (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

keep in mind all these safety feature can be defeated if you so choose to.

im pretty sure the next generation c8 will have them for sure,

the c7 is still an incredible car,i cant think of any sports car with almost 500 hp and gets 30mpg, but why not make it that much better?

i would like to add active bending headlights also it would be nice to see around turns at night, =>

also you could choose what features you like maybe add them to the lt3 model or a optional safety package you can add,

I can only speak for myself, but it isn't that I don't *want* the features, rather that I don't feel cheated at the price point for not having them, given all the performance I get for my $.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Steve_R (12-08-2016), Vetteman Jack (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 12:25 PM
solarstingray
Racer

who said anything about not liking the c7 ?

i love the c7 thats why i bought one,

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If you don't like the C7 go buy something else. It's not that hard.

Last edited by solarstingray; 12-08-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:39 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Many of your points are not safety issues yet you continue to call them that. Why?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I want that new kick *** LCD rear view mirror the Cadillac has for all of my cars, not just the Vette:

Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

The "loop-pile" carpet is an omage to the carpets used in the original Stingrays....that was the style in the 60s.

I bet they will add autonomous anti-collision braking in 2018 or 2019.....

Last edited by ersatz928; 12-08-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Safety features?

I don't need no stinkin safety features!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm good with the car I got for the price I paid!

Get notified of new replies

To Some basic safety features would be nice

Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The primary reason that there are no "blind spot indicators", "adaptive cruise control" and "automatic braking" is aesthetic. Many people don't want the radar emitters/sensors stuck all over the front and rear fascia. Contrary to your assertion, there are no sensors "already in place". Yes, their are curb cameras, but those do not provide the information needed for the things you are asking for.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

automtaic braking
Old 12-08-2016, 03:02 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The primary reason that there are no "blind spot indicators", "adaptive cruise control" and "automatic braking" is aesthetic. Many people don't want the radar emitters/sensors stuck all over the front and rear fascia. Contrary to your assertion, there are no sensors "already in place". Yes, their are curb cameras, but those do not provide the information needed for the things you are asking for.
Design/engineering is always a matter of trade-offs. For example, I remember one of the engineers being interviewed about blind spot monitoring, which they did consider. Sensors would have gone in the same place where the rear vents are, one reason they decided against it.

You can imagine all sorts of variations on equipment, but they have to be cost-effective and fit the market. To invent an extreme example, you could narrow the fenders, install low rolling resistance tires and the power train from a Volt or Bolt and you would have a very efficient commuter car, but who would buy it? (This is essentially what the Pontiac Fiero was originally sold to management as, a commuter car, and only in its last year of production did it get the features that made it into the sports car that it looked like. Too late.)

Cadillac makes high-performance cars with most of the features suggested by OP, but they fit a different niche in the market. Perhaps by the time of the next generation Corvette some of these features also will make sense. They likely will not be added to an already-engineered vehicle like C7.

Quick Reply: Some basic safety features would be nice