Sponsored by:

Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaphod B
Calling the Tour mode "Lexus smooth" is creative license on your part, methinks.
On one of my trips to Talladega to run the oval, I took the wife of one of Jeff Williams' volunteers around the track in my 2009 Z06(without mag ride or changeable ride conditions) doing 160+ MPH. When I would get out of the throttle to go into the high banked turns, she said the car rode and sounded like a Lexus(my Bridgestone run flat tires are quieter than the OE Goodyear run flats).

When I was in the throttle coming out of turn #2 for a high speed run down the 4,000' backstretch, she was screaming with delight.

In one car, she witnessed a smooth quiet ride and a loud fast ride. This was a person that had never ridden in a Corvette before or had never been over 90-100 MPH before, and her first ride wasn't in the "touring" base Corvette with the base horsepower engine.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-13-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by mbaessler
A couple of my My neighbors have new 2017 C7's. I rode in them, they are nice but seem a bit confining....
Originally Posted by Kent1999
In my personal experience, if you are not smitten on the first drive of a Corvette with a "gotta have one!" feeling, the compromises that come later will soon tire you out, and you'll trade it away and move on.

OP
What struck me is you said you "rode" in C7s, you didn't say you drove them. Until you drive one, you can't make a good comparison. Take a demo drive in one or two C7s. After the demo drives, what Kent said would also be my opinion. I considered and demoed Mustangs, then drove the C5. To me and what I wanted it wasn't close. The C5 Corvette was instant love. Years later I took two demo drives in C7s, one auto transmission, one an M7. I knew the C5 was gone and a C7 was in my future. If you aren't "smitten" as Kent said, then maybe the Dodge is what you really want.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadbike56:
Maxie2U (01-17-2017), Skid Row Joe (01-20-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by curve65
Close to the same boat as OP. I presently am driving a Miata and a Charger RT with the semi and ones been my beer, the other my wine. Though I keep trying to make the wine have a lot more kick. For the last 14 car changes, I have bounced between Mustang GT's, Dodge Hemi's, and numerous Miata's. My days with a vett were with a 65 coupe though it handled like a truck. I've told my friends it's a character flaw, but, maybe I've just needed a C7?
Thoughts?
Big difference between a '65 and 2017 Vette!! Recall driving my buddies from around that era with a 435 hp BB! Recall it shifting lanes on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift! That was fun "in the day." The C7 won't change lanes (with nannies engaged) and a 0 to 60 is not very dramatic but fun!

A light, agile Miata is NOT like a Vette! More like my modified Corvair or 260Z. Drive one to be sure it fits what you want!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-13-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:34 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

There is a big difference between riding in one and driving one. Go drive it.

My biggest gripe about getting in the car is that the lower left portion of the instrument panel is right where I'd like my knee to be, so I have to be very careful not to damage myself. When getting out, I find it is easier if you grunt loudly and kind of roll out. Once I'm in there, I'm fine, and I like the seats overall. I wish my base car had lumbar adjustment, but I was too cheap to get the 2LT. If I had to do it all over again, I still would go 1LT and save the money. If it were my DD, I'd spring for it.

It's a real PITA to get in and out of, quite frankly, but all sports cars are low and have that same issue to some degree.

Go test drive one then report back.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:06 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Kent1999: Thank You for your input. I like you comment about "got to have one". I will go test drive one of my neighbors.

Last edited by mbaessler; 12-13-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:20 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
Now own a c7 z51.Previous car was a challenger srt8 with a kenne bell supercharger on it. Both cars manual trans. While the srt8 was a more comfy car,softer ride,bigger interior etc,it was not half the car my c7 is!!!!! I tell my wife every time we're in it how much more I love it!!! I will NEVER buy another dodge after owning this car. The challenger had way too many parts on it that it shared mechanically with the v6 model chassis.Every time down the 1/4 mile it would be something else failing. Drive shaft,rear end whine,half axles and plenty more things were replaced.wheel hop was a Huge problem also that I had countless hrs in and big money trying to cure to No luck. The difference is like comparing a TRUE performance car to a family sedan with some power. Honestly,you won't regret it. P.s. However getting in and out is kinda a pita. Lol GOOD LUCK!!!!
Gary thanks for the input. With the supercharger on the SRT you probably needed to beef up other components. Anyway going to drive a C7 to help with my decision. I do not intend to track or race the car, just hot rod around a bit. Open roads, freeway on ramps, passing vehicles etc.

Last edited by mbaessler; 12-13-2016 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (01-20-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by dvilin
You have seen many C7's have rode in a them, and question whether it is a good choice for you. I would say no, after looking at the C7 and riding in one the question should be where can I get the best deal.
You make a good point. I love the looks. Just need to drive one.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by bearphoto
OP, I have several of the challengers, a 5.7 shaker hemi and the 6.4 Scat Pack. These are large cars, great ride and look good. I also have a C7 Z51 convertible. They are definitely two different rides. And someone mentioned they have a Miata. We have a 16 Miata. Also a great car. For me at 6-2, 220 the Miata for me only works on short runs. Too small. As for the C7, there are two types of seats, standard seats and the Competition seats. I have no experience with the competition seats but that may have been what you rode in where the standard seats might be fine for you. The C7 is more confining if you will than a challenger but its not as small as the miata which is confining to me. At your height and weight you should be fine with the standard seats and I would whole heartedly recommend the C7 for you. Great looks, incredible power and there is actually quite a bit of room in the back. Not as big as the huge challenger trunk but very acceptable. I put on car tours all over the west and the corvette always leads the pack!
Bear that is a real close comparison thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:33 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by roadbike56

OP
What struck me is you said you "rode" in C7s, you didn't say you drove them. Until you drive one, you can't make a good comparison. Take a demo drive in one or two C7s. After the demo drives, what Kent said would also be my opinion. I considered and demoed Mustangs, then drove the C5. To me and what I wanted it wasn't close. The C5 Corvette was instant love. Years later I took two demo drives in C7s, one auto transmission, one an M7. I knew the C5 was gone and a C7 was in my future. If you aren't "smitten" as Kent said, then maybe the Dodge is what you really want.
Roadbike: Agree I just need to go drive a few. Especially a manual. That is what I want as I don't drive in stop and go traffic. I'm not elated with Dodge but I love the looks and the feel of the Challenger. Old muscle car guy here. But as I said I have owned Vetts and the C7 is enticing me. Great looks, great motor, great handling and starting to become refined a bit.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

It sounds to me that you're very satisfied with your Dodge. You might want to upgrade to the Hellcat power plant, but if I were you, don't try to fix what don't need fixin'!
mbaessler (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I have A 2014 c7 1lt M7.It's the best car I've ever owned
Skid Row Joe (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Given what you've said -- with all seriousness and respect, I'll vote "no" -- you should shop for something other than a C7.

A true sports car will require compromises in comfort, size, ingress/egress, etc, that I'm not sure you will appreciate making in the longer term if you are not truly in love with the car. You've mentioned that you are used to cruisers that are not "sports cars", but rather "sporty cars" -- big difference.

In my personal experience, if you are not smitten on the first drive of a Corvette with a "gotta have one!" feeling, the compromises that come later will soon tire you out, and you'll trade it away and move on.

Just 2 cents of Free Advice from someone who has happily been into Corvettes for over 4 decades. Others' experiences may be different than mine, so this is just some food for thought.

Good luck in your choice, regardless of which way you decide. If you buy a C7, I'll be one of the first to welcome you here... this forum really adds a lot to the Corvette ownership experience!
I think this is a very fair and honest answer.
Maxie2U (01-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Yes David, I agree. I'm going to drive one and see how it feels. The quote from Kent "gotta have one!" Is a good one and something to think about.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I traded in a 2010 Challenger R/T (A5) for my GS. So far I have about 4500 miles and the Corvette is so much better in just about every way, except storage. Getting in and out is more difficult, but that's the compromise of a low slung car. I don't miss my old car at all. Muscle cars are fun, but the Corvette is a proper sports car. Unless you have a problem with ingress/egress gymnastics, I'd go for it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Jivor: Thanks for the input. Don't really care about storage too much as the Vette will be a fun car, I'm retired. The exit and entry I need to check out because of a bad back and seat comfort is important. Just got to get out and drive one.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
LimeRock
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I also come from a LX platform with my modified Dodge Magnum RT. The RT has SRT shocks springs, bushing upgrades etc. While it corners much nicer than stock it is not in the same league.

I am 6' very long torso and 260 and the fit is excellent.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
This is my fifth Corvette since 1991. I only went two weeks without one during that time. I enjoy my 2015 coupe. The problem I have been seeing with mine, and other owners cars, are replacement parts. I have been waiting over two months (ordered Oct 3) for windshield. I've seen owners needing A8 torque converters, waiting three weeks for parts. Several C7 club members are having the same parts problem. Everything for the C7's, seem to be in short supply.
Hey Tom,

I see that you are providing feedback for the OP, however, I regret to hear of this part delay and apologize for any inconvenience caused. If you’d like, I can certainly reach out to your dealership to gather more information. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and involved dealership if this is something of interest.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette

Old 01-17-2017, 04:06 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Well I finally drove my friends 2017 C7 Z-51 2LT. Really enjoyed the drive. It was short maybe 4 miles but on open road, where he allowed me to get on it a bit. It was a A8, I would have rather drove a 7 speed manual but what the heck it's still a Vette.
I was able to get in and out, OK. Just had to enter butt first and swing my legs in. (bad back) Thought seat was comfortable good lumbar support. Does anyone know if the side bolsters on the bottom of the seat where your hips/legs are adjust?
What I thought.
a. Like the mag ride. Went through tour, sport and track. could feel the difference.
b. HUD was cool
c. Road noise a little more noticeable then the Challenger. Road was the gravel type that they throw pebbles into oil to make road.
d. Nice acceleration,pulls well, but my Challenger was no slouch ether.
e. Wish it had Ultra Hi performance All Season tires. Temperature was in high 40's.
f. Had rattles in the rear storage area that has to be addressed by warranty he said. Hopefully build quality isn't an issue.
Because prices have dropped so much. Probably look for a used 2016 very low miles 2LT or 3LT 7 speed.
Do you find your insurance costs much more than muscle car? I'm 62 clean driving record. I will let you know if and when I pull the trigger.
Thanks to all of you who took the time to responded. It helps to hear from owners. I'm the kind of guy that really takes care of his cars and individualizes them with mods. So it is hard to let go. Like my Challenger a lot, but that Vette is like owning an exotic. Really neat.

Overall I like it. Now need to have my wife sit in the passenger seat. If that works out maybe I will go for it.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

If you want a Corvette the itch will remain unscratched until you finally buy one. Might as well just do it and give it some seat time because sooner or later you will.
mbaessler (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

My 3 previous cars were Lexus. LS400, ES330 and IS250AWD. Traded in Lexus ride and dependability for fun. And yes, I am having fun.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette