Sponsored by:

A/C turns on when I run heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A/C turns on when I run heat

Why does the a/c turn on when I am only trying to run heat? I always have to turn off the a/c. No reason to have the compressor running when all Is heat. 2016 lt1 base.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:28 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

It does it on most newer cars I have owned
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrun
Why does the a/c turn on when I am only trying to run heat? I always have to turn off the a/c. No reason to have the compressor running when all Is heat. 2016 lt1 base.
It's for dehumidification. Helps prevent fogged windows and generally makes car more comfortable. Universally used throughout the industry when you choose "automatic" climate control.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
It's for dehumidification. Helps prevent fogged windows and generally makes car more comfortable. Universally used throughout the industry when you choose "automatic" climate control.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Do you have it on the "auto" setting?

A/C light will always be on in that setting, but that doesn't mean the compressor is running. In all modern vehicles, the compressor only runs when the system call for a cooler temp.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

A/C light will always be on in that setting, but that doesn't mean the compressor is running. In all modern vehicles, the compressor only runs when the system call for a cooler temp.
Wrong answer. You should read post # 2 & #3 for the correct answer. Or you can read your owners manual.

"Press AUTO to return to automatic operation and the air conditioner runs as needed. When the indicator light is on, the air conditioner runs automatically to cool the air inside the vehicle or to dry the air as needed to defog the windshield faster"

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-13-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Auto

No, auto is not on. I guess it's normal then even though I have the air coming from top vent. Not the defogger vent.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Duplicate of below

Last edited by Foosh; 12-13-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

That is wrong....the compressor runs if you use the defroster or if you call for HEAT and keep the A/C on. The only way the A/C Compressor doesn't run is if you turn it off for cooling or heat. It will ALWAYS go on for defrosting.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

It's quite proper to run the ac year around anyway. It is a component that will thrive longer.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Wrong answer. You should read post # 2 & #3 for the correct answer. Or you can read your owners manual.

"Press AUTO to return to automatic operation and the air conditioner runs as needed. When the indicator light is on, the air conditioner runs automatically to cool the air inside the vehicle or to dry the air as needed to defog the windshield faster"
Joe, no my answer was a right answer and you're full of it. You may read your manual, but you apparently have some trouble comprehending what "automatic" and "as needed" means.

That's what I said. Yes, I neglected to add "dehumidify," but the operative point was just because the light is on does not mean the compressor is running. It runs as needed to either cool or dehumidify.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
That is wrong....the compressor runs if you use the defroster or if you call for HEAT and keep the A/C on. The only way the A/C Compressor doesn't run is if you turn it off for cooling or heat. It will ALWAYS go on for defrosting.
Sorry OBX, you're apparently not understanding either. The compressor turns on and off even when cooling. If you cool the interior to 66ºF in the summer, and that get's too cold, and you turn it up to 72ºF, the compressor will shut down until it reaches the temp you've selected, then it will run, as needed, to maintain that temp.

Another example, two of our other cars have engine start/stop. If the engine is shut down at a stop, and the system calls for cooling while the engine is shut-down, the engine will restart to run the compressor.

All modern cars operate the same way for fuel economy reasons, as the AC compressor has a clutch system which allows the pulley to "free-wheel" when it has no need to run.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-13-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Sorry OBX, you're apparently not understanding either. The compressor turns on and off even when cooling. If you cool the interior to 66ºF in the summer, and that get's too cold, and you turn it up to 72ºF, the compressor will shut down until it reaches the temp you've selected, then it will run, as needed, to maintain that temp.

Another example, two of our other cars have engine start/stop. If the engine is shut down at a stop, and the system calls for cooling while the engine is shut-down, the engine will restart to run the compressor.

All modern cars operate the same way for fuel economy reasons, as the AC compressor has a clutch system which allows the pulley to "free-wheel" when it has no need to run.
Wifey's BMW does this also.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I agree. Plus it helps extend the life of the compressor. AC compressors don't like sitting around. The seals dry out and they develop leaks. Having the compressor run a little every time the car is driven helps. You will find the compressor will shut off when the ambient air temp is lower than 36 or 38 degrees as they don't want the evaporator to freeze over.

I had a hang on air conditioner added to my 65 Olds 442 after moving South in 66. That unit only had a temperature and fan control but would keep on running even though the evaporator temperature was below 32 degrees. It would constantly freeze over in high humidity conditions. Nothing like having an AC unit start throwing ice particles in your face when you are driving down the highway. Traded that for a 68 Olds with factory air which controlled the system so the evaporator wouldn't freeze over. However, the OM said to run the AC at least once per month to keep the compressor from going bad.

Bill
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Joe, no my answer was a right answer and you're full of it. You may read your manual, but you apparently have some trouble comprehending what "automatic" and "as needed" means.

That's what I said. Yes, I neglected to add "dehumidify," but the operative point was just because the light is on does not mean the compressor is running. It runs as needed to either cool or dehumidify.
Automotive A/C have not used fixed displacement compressors for decades where you cycled the compressor on/off by using the external clutch.

Modern systems(for decades) have used a variable displacement compressor where the pistons stokes are changed depending on load.

The external clutch is only used to completely shut off the A/C system or when it's necessary to automatically protect the system's components.

The Compressor/system runs all the time and the displacement of the compressors varies to meet the conditions expected of it. if you don't want the system to run, then you manually shut the system down by using the hard button on the control panel to use the external clutch to disengage the compressor from the drive pulley.

In the Auto mode, no matter if you are cooling the interior or heating the interior, the compressor runs all the time.

http://delphi.com/docs/default-sourc...f.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-13-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

As many have stated, A/C light on means compressor may engage if required. Most systems today are CCOT so the compressor cycles to maintain the evaporator around 34 F to prevent freeze up of the evaporator. If ambient temperature is low enough, the A/C clutch will not engage even if A/C light is on.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 AM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I keep mine on automatic. Turn the temperature **** to the right if you want it warmer. No problem.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C turns on when I run heat

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

You posted what you believed. And that was why you said "only" to cool.

Now you are trying to back track your answer with your 'edit' to cover up your lack of understanding of automotive A/C systems.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:48 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JHundertmark
As many have stated, A/C light on means compressor may engage if required. Most systems today are CCOT so the compressor cycles to maintain the evaporator around 34 F to prevent freeze up of the evaporator. If ambient temperature is low enough, the A/C clutch will not engage even if A/C light is on.
The A/C compressor does not cycle on/off using the external clutch. The compressor uses a variable stroke for the pistons and can change it's displacement based on system load.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You posted what you believed. And that was why you said "only" to cool.

Now you are trying to back track your answer with your 'edit' to cover up your lack of understanding of automotive A/C systems.
Now you represent yourself as a mind-reader and clearly not a very good one. I'm very weary of your bitter and condescending attitude. As I've suggested in the past, I am again requesting that you put my screen name on ignore.

The bottom line is the compressor is not always "running" because it's output can vary from zero to full capacity, regardless of what technology they use to accomplish that. The mechanics are irrelevant to this discussion. Moreover, using the term "cool" also covers "dehumidifying" since it's the cooling process that removes humidity from the cabin air. All the compressor does is cool, it doesn't have a dehumidifier in it, per se. Every AC system is a dehumidifier by definition.

I ignore your posts, and do not respond to any of yours except when you attack. I have no interest in anything you have to say because of your tone and attitude. Please do the same.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C turns on when I run heat