Sponsored by:

C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Oh, OK, I recalled they were using the DOHC right before Ford cut them loose.

IMO, Ford's DOHC are/were excellent engines...
I consider them to be the best sounding American V8 made.
Indeed, and they have gotten remarkably better w/ JLR refinements. In fact, there are a lot of parallels between what JLR has done w/ the old Ford 5.0 DOHC engine, and what GM has continued to do w/ their old-school pushrod, "small-block Chevys" in terms of making amazing power and refining proven, but older technology.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:34 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have another reason for buying a C7 vs a Jag - the number cars built and the number of dealers. If my car breaks down far from home (eg Wyoming) I can get the car to a Chevy dealer very quickly and they can probably fix it in a day or two. I may have to have the Jag towed several hundred miles and it may take them a lot of time to get the parts. It is for that reason that we stopped driving our Jag XJ8 far from home. I am much more confident driving our C7 long distances.
The following 2 users liked this post by white90conv:
Sivtec (12-14-2016), sunsalem (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I absolutely love Jaguars and think they are a much better option than most of what the Germans offer. Right before the F-Type came out I was already prepared to be drooling all over it but despite what the magazines say, the car is not as sexy as I expected. It does look good, specially in the Coupe form but it's a little too small looking and not as sexy as I expected.

That said, it's still a good looking car but the Corvette (specially the GS) is leaps and bounds better looking IMO. And also, the 3LT Corvette interior is nicer overall than the Jaguars. You can't go wrong with either, but to me there's no contest!!
I also perceived the F-Type to be a smaller car, but it really isn't. And, in terms of weight, it's a "porker" compared to the C7. I borrowed this pic from Davidtcpa, and it nicely illustrates the side-by-side size comparison.

[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:44 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by white90conv
I have another reason for buying a C7 vs a Jag - the number cars built and the number of dealers. If my car breaks down far from home (eg Wyoming) I can get the car to a Chevy dealer very quickly and they can probably fix it in a day or two. I may have to have the Jag towed several hundred miles and it may take them a lot of time to get the parts. It is for that reason that we stopped driving our Jag XJ8 far from home. I am much more confident driving our C7 long distances.
Excellent point. Although, I live in Arizona and that one doesn't really apply to me. There's so many dealerships here. Also I don't drive the car too far from home anyways. But good point nonetheless.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
I also perceived the F-Type to be a smaller car, but it really isn't. And, in terms of weight, it's a "porker" compared to the C7. I borrowed this pic from Davidtcpa, and it nicely illustrates the side-by-side size comparison.

[/QUOTE]

WOWZA! Great picture. This really does put the size in perspective. I also thought the Vette was much wider. Wow. Great side by side pic.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I was in the exact same boat. I still love the F Type R and think it's a beautiful design. The manual transmission is what helped me decide. That and the C7 was new compared to a similar priced F Type which would have been used.
Sivtec (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I think the Corvette is a little longer while the F-Type is a little wider than the base Corvette (not the GS or Z06) and the Corvette sits lower. Although they are close in size, the Corvette seems lager to the eye and more substantial and more appropriately shaped IMO. The F-Type Coupe (luke warm on the Convertible) is a very good looking car and I would take it over the Porsche 911 any day but the Corvette looks better to me.
Sivtec (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 AM
martybmw
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I went from a 2016 F Type R to a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 suspension. The Jag dealer and Jag North America were great and their customer service outstanding. Nothing like having a flat bed pick up your car and also have them drop off a mother Jag as a loner (Chevy could learn a lot her about how they treat their upper end cars owners). I absloutley love the snap crackle of the Jags exhaust in my opinion the best out there. Also when manually shifting the Jags auto it was far more responsive time wise. The all wheel drive make you a better driver than I really was (had to make the adjustment to the vetoes 2 wheel drive). The Z06 is more of a beast and I didn't really appreciate it as 1st as I mainly bought to protect myself from the new Audi R8 Plus (to few of them and all wanted to much over MSRP). I have come to love driving the Z06 and it is my daily driver and the stereo is better in the Z06 than the F Type R.
Sivtec (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by martybmw
I went from a 2016 F Type R to a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 suspension. The Jag dealer and Jag North America were great and their customer service outstanding. Nothing like having a flat bed pick up your car and also have them drop off a mother Jag as a loner (Chevy could learn a lot her about how they treat their upper end cars owners). I absloutley love the snap crackle of the Jags exhaust in my opinion the best out there. Also when manually shifting the Jags auto it was far more responsive time wise. The all wheel drive make you a better driver than I really was (had to make the adjustment to the vetoes 2 wheel drive). The Z06 is more of a beast and I didn't really appreciate it as 1st as I mainly bought to protect myself from the new Audi R8 Plus (to few of them and all wanted to much over MSRP). I have come to love driving the Z06 and it is my daily driver and the stereo is better in the Z06 than the F Type R.
Great info. Coming from an Evo, the AWD does have it's perks. Me living in AZ, the AWD really isn't necessary. Don't get me wrong, it's great for getting off the line but the sheer fun of RWD is greater.

Noted on the stereo. It was a question I had.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I think the Corvette is a little longer while the F-Type is a little wider than the base Corvette (not the GS or Z06) and the Corvette sits lower. Although they are close in size, the Corvette seems lager to the eye and more substantial and more appropriately shaped IMO. The F-Type Coupe (luke warm on the Convertible) is a very good looking car and I would take it over the Porsche 911 any day but the Corvette looks better to me.
According to the official specs for each manufacturer, the C7 is less than 1" longer (176.9 vs. 176.0), but has a much longer wheelbase (106.7 vs. 103.2). The F-Type is .3" wider (74.2 vs. 73.9). The F-Type is 3" taller (51.6 vs. 48.6).

Bottom line, they are nearly equivalent in size, except the Corvette is shorter with a lower CG, but ground clearance is nearly equivalent. Wheel base is the most significant difference and in favor of the C7 for handling.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-15-2016 at 12:37 AM.
DaveFerrari458 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:09 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Considering this thread is comparing the R (not the v6) the main problem people are going to have is cost.

You can buy a great looking performance car for much cheaper if you go with chevy. Even the Z06 can be bought well under 100k new.

however
There is a certain level of class people are going after when they buy cars like Aston martins, higher end benz models, Jags etc... which is why i can understand both view points.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Again, OP is evaluating a choice of a used 2015 R vs a new GS for approximately equivalent prices. JLR is, or within weeks will be, producing the 2018 model, and 2 years of depreciation puts an R in the $70K range.
Sivtec (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 AM
nlevasseur
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was seriously looking at low mileage F-types like under 3k miles. I loved the car. Then I read about the C7 and one member here that switched from an F-type to a C7. Then I talked to a co-worker that had switched from always driving BMWs a C7, and I found a great car new for a less than a used F-type. I would agree with all the previous comments. The cars are almost the same size.
Sivtec (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
Considering this thread is comparing the R (not the v6) the main problem people are going to have is cost.

You can buy a great looking performance car for much cheaper if you go with chevy. Even the Z06 can be bought well under 100k new.

however
There is a certain level of class people are going after when they buy cars like Aston martins, higher end benz models, Jags etc... which is why i can understand both view points.
I think Foosh nailed it but yea, this is for the RWD 2015 model not the new AWD models. They are roughly the same price. The tricky part here is to find one that close enough and with under 10k miles PREFERABLY.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

[/QUOTE]

Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 PM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I too have owned both....2 jaguars and 13 Corvettes to be exact. In 2013, my wife was already battling Lung Cancer for 3 years and we both know it was non-curable. At the time, I wanted to go look at both the new Jag F-TYPE and the new Stingray and asked my wife to come along and wanted her opinion. I was driving a 2008 A6 Callaway Corvette convertible with about 600 HP, give or take. When decided to go to the Jag dealer first. When we got there, she fell absolutely in LOVE with the F TYPE! Seeing the gleem in her eye and not know how much time she had left(13 months but I didn't it then), so I made the decision not to put me first anymore and traded the Vette in right there on the spot!
The Jag had 495 hp and rear wheel drive. It was fast, very fast and it felt fast that all the corvettes I've owned with stock engines! The Jag felt lighter and spin tires a lot faster and easier the Vette. After she passed in Nov. 2014, I held onto the car for another year and traded it in on a 2016 Stingray convertible. The Stingray has a little more room in the interior than the Jag but even though I LOVE the interior on my vette(Twilight Blue), I'd have to give the jag a notch or two up on the Vette-IMO. I will say that whenever I was in the Jag, I never missed the Vette. But, all in all, it's 6 0f one, half a dozen of another! It all depends on what you like. Like others have said, road test both and see which one tickles your fancy.

ps. I did road test a '15 Jag Coupe V8 S with AWD earlier this year and that car didn't leave much rubber but it just hauled *** from a stop!!! What a difference! Lastly, the Coupe felt 10 times more rigid than its convertible counterpart. That too was amazing! Tightest car I've I've been in, I think...

Last edited by purple heart; 12-15-2016 at 10:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by purple heart:
Foosh (12-16-2016), JerriVette (12-17-2016), Maxpowers (12-16-2016), Sivtec (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by purple heart
I too have owned both....2 jaguars and 13 Corvettes to be exact. In 2013, my wife was already battling Lung Cancer for 3 years and we both know it was non-curable. At the time, I wanted to go look at both the new Jag F-TYPE and the new Stingray and asked my wife to come along and wanted her opinion. I was driving a 2008 A6 Callaway Corvette convertible with about 600 HP, give or take. When decided to go to the Jag dealer first. When we got there, she fell absolutely in LOVE with the F TYPE! Seeing the gleem in her eye and not know how much time she had left(13 months but I didn't it then), so I made the decision not to put me first anymore and traded the Vette in right there on the spot!
The Jag had 495 hp and rear wheel drive. It was fast, very fast and it felt fast that all the corvettes I've owned with stock engines! The Jag felt lighter and spin tires a lot faster and easier the Vette. After she passed in Nov. 2014, I held onto the car for another year and traded it in on a 2016 Stingray convertible. The Stingray has a little more room in the interior than the Jag but even though I LOVE the interior on my vette(Twilight Blue), I'd have to give the jag a notch or two up on the Vette-IMO. I will say that whenever I was in the Jag, I never missed the Vette. But, all in all, it's 6 0f one, half a dozen of another! It all depends on what you like. Like others have said, road test both and see which one tickles your fancy.

ps. I did road test a '15 Jag Coupe V8 S with AWD earlier this year and that car didn't leave much rubber but it just hauled *** from a stop!!! What a difference! Lastly, the Coupe felt 10 times more rigid than its convertible counterpart. That too was amazing! Tightest car I've I've been in, I think...
First and foremost, I am very sorry about your loss. My wife's sister just past away and let me tell you, I still just don't know the proper steps to comfort someone who has lost someone very close to them.

That being said, it seemed you really loved the Jag. I am still going to test drive both. Definitely not a convertible tho, not really my style. Curious, was your Jag an automatic with paddles?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

All 14-15 F-Type were automatics. For the '16MY, they introduced a manual (ZF 6-speed) box, which is the same as used by BMW on the 1- and 3-series, but it's only available on the V6.
Sivtec (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

All 14-15 F-Type were automatics. For the '16MY, they introduced a manual (ZF 6-speed) box, which is the same as used by BMW on the 1- and 3-series, but it's only available on the V6.
Ah. Good to know. Read some things on the responsiveness of the shifts. Definitely would be a concern with me.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

If you're talking about the automatic, I've driven both the A6, which my wife had in a Cadillac ATS, and the A8, which both have perceptible lags. The A8 is better than the A6. However, the JLR version of the ZF8 has no perceptible lag at all. It feels essentially the same as the Porsche PDK.

If you're talking about the F-Type manual, I've driven it too, and the throws are much too long in my view. A friend of mine is trying to get Fidanza to build a short-throw kit similar to the ones they offer for BMWs, but they seem to think there are too few manual F-Types to make it worth their while.

The C7 Tremec M7 is light years better than the F-Type manual.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R